AAR for TDI Handgun I-III

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

AAR for TDI Handgun I-III

Post by Stryker74 »

I wanted to post a sort of After Action Report for my class at Tactical Defense Institute this past weekend. I got into a last minute slot for the June 6-8 class (as I posted in another thread), but would highly recommend that anyone take any slot they have open in the future.

The basics to know going into this class:
  • Be prepared to pack lunches for all three days. TDI has a refrigerator and microwave in the classroom if needed.
    Take as much ammo for your chosen gun as possible.
    Dress/prepare for the weather. You will be spending about 75% of this class outside in the weather. This class shoots rain or shine.
    Wear comfortable clothing and shoes. You will be moving a fair amount by Day 2, and a lot on Day 3.
    If you are a bulls-eye/precision shooter, be prepared to leave all those notions at home. This class is not about slow precision shooting.
    Go in with an open mind - no matter how long you have been shooting. There will be better shooters in the instructor team, and some have fewer years shooting than you.
    Know your gun(s) that you plan to shoot. Be familiar with their function and operation prior to class.
The class is spread across 3 days - Friday (Level I), Saturday (Level II), and Sunday (Level III). Levels I and II qualify as CHL training, but do not let that fool you. I was learning from the minute the class started.

Level I:

The morning and part of the afternoon of Day 1 is classroom based. There is a lot of discussion of tactics, the self-defense mindset, and some shoot/no-shoot decision making processes. Multiple instructors from various backgrounds present during the classroom time - so this is not just a scenario or opinion of a single person.

The afternoon consists of some instruction on the range, and the introduction of the roped gun concept that gets used at TDI. (You run a line through the barrel and out the magazine well - giving visual proof that the gun cannot load and fire.) They spend time instructing on shooting techniques, but don't just pay it lip-service. They will explain the technique and the reasons behind it, and then follow up with demos. This includes handling the gun, shooting position, and sight picture - all with good props and demonstration throughout. You get some shooting drills with these techniques, with instructors stepping in to assist and help with the techniques.

The student to instructor ratio was about 4:1 - which is better than most classes I have seen. Yours truly got some one-on-one time with a couple of standout instructors on Day 1 to improve my technique. (Yes, I have been shooting for 20+ years - but my technique was old school and not really working well.) This is where leaving your notions at home comes into all of this. They have a proven technique and you will improve if you follow their guidance. With some help and pointers from them, I was able to improve my consistency - putting more shots inside the 3" circle than I had using my "method".

Day 1 wrapped up with some instruction/pointers on cleaning guns. An instructor actually cleaned 2 of the more popular guns (Glock and Smith and Wesson M&P) in front of the class, and then took questions and did show and tell for those who wanted to observe or get a closer look.

(Day 2 and 3 in the next post)
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: AAR for TDI Handgun I-III cont.

Post by Stryker74 »

Level II:

Day 2 started off in the classroom. There was more discussion on tactics, with a more formalized approach to "head on a swivel" mentality. There was also review of the shooting techniques from the previous day, with discussion and examples of why they press that technique (shot responsibility, threat assessment, and shot follow-up). After some time in the morning spent in the classroom, the rest of the day was on the range.

Instead of the 3" dots that we used to drill on, the targets were changed to look like more standard targets - and we moved back farther away from them. The goal was to start bringing all of the techniques together, and not worry about precision (3" dots) and more about consistent shot placement. No bullseye shooting here - but keep it within the about 6"x8" area.

Later in the day, the students got split up into smaller groups. We began to rotate between instructors on various topics - holsters and drawing, movement while shooting, and shooting more than one shot at a time. Late afternoon, we call came back together to practice box drills (moving in a square or rectangular area while keeping focused on targets). Again, this was to start bringing everything together in these drills up to this point.

Toward the end of the day, the students were split into 2 groups - 1 group went off to discuss angles and search methods while the other group went to the steel targets range to practice shooting. After time at one, the groups switched.

Before breaking for the day, we were asked to be early the next morning as the day would start at 9am on the range.

Level III:

As promised, the morning started at 9am on the range. We were all geared up, and ready to go - which was good. We started into various shooting drills on the steel targets that morning. This was a great warm up to get started - especially with the advice of "make your first shot, it starts your day off right." We were "timed in" on the steel to get a baseline on our speed and use of technique. This was a short series of time drills from 7 yards (21 feet), shooting on the small silhouette steel targets.

A little later in the morning, after a short break, we got split up into groups again. We were taken around to various locations on the compound to start working on the body movements and techniques for clearing a structure, as well as to continue on some shooting drills. We rotated in and out of the shooting drills as we would finish up the body movement techniques - so we got to shoot on more steel in the morning. There were drills to shoot strong and weak side (with instruction and demos), as well as techniques to switch hands. I am somewhat of a lefty in my life - I eat and write left handed. But, I have mostly always shot right handed - so taking a two handed grip with my left hand as my strong hand was the most foreign concept to me from the entire weekend. But, their methods and techniques worked out to help me through that - and I was shooting better left handed that I ever had before.

In the afternoon, we were split up again to rotate through drills and instruction. This ranged from going to an actual live fire house (TDI was running all 3 houses on Day 3), to working on movement scenarios, and to shooting techniques for engaging around corners/doors. I won't go into detail on the live fire or other sessions during this afternoon session as I don't want to give anything away. But, what I will share is - be prepared to do things you never thought about, and be prepared to be "dead" through the learning process of these sessions.

Day 3 was a full on shoot and range instruction day for the most part. We had some rain here and there - and that did not stop or slow down instruction one bit. I shot through my live fire session with a drizzle of rain coming down the whole time. Same goes for the body movement techniques session that I was in - rain was coming down, but we continued through. Near the end, we were "timed out" to compare against the initial times. Not sure how each students went, but I know mine improved. For example, draw from holster and place one shot went from 1.42 seconds in the morning to 1.13 seconds in the afternoon. Single shot from chest ready position was 1.27 in the morning and .93 in the afternoon. That may not seem like a lot - but it truly is when you think about the statistic that most gunfights are over in about 3 seconds on average.

Day 3 ended with a short "graduation" ceremony with certificates and chance to shake hands with all the instructors.

(Wrap up in the next post)
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: AAR for TDI Handgun I-III cont.

Post by Stryker74 »

Wrap up and thoughts:

I initially thought Day 1 was going to be a bust for me. I have had my CHL for a little over 10 years now, I carry every day, and I get to the range as often as I can to practice. But, you have to take Level I your first time - so I would just "suffer" through that first day was my thought.

Boy, was I wrong. From the classroom instruction to the shooting techniques - I was learning on Day 1. This was not your typical CHL class for sure.

By the end of Day 1, I was excited about Day 2 - I mean who doesn't like shooting steel? :D I was not disappointed at all - we shot steel a fair amount. Little did I know that I was going to shoot even more steel on Day 3!

To anyone who is considering taking this class, my advice is to do it. There are not many places in the US that will teach to this caliber, and to have one in your "backyard" is almost like cheating. Whether you are new to shooting (one guy in the class just started shooting a couple of months ago) or if you are a 20,30, or 40 year veteran shooter - you are going to learn something that makes it worthwhile.

The course is like drinking from the firehose though - so prepare yourself to try to absorb as much as you can. And if you don't get everything, don't be ashamed or worried - most people won't get everything. There was a couple that came in on Saturday to retake Level II and III to refresh and get additional time on the techniques. One of the instructors commented that he took this series 5-6 times to get it all down and working for him.

The TDI instructors ask for an open mind, but they also tell you that they are open minded. If you have suggestions, or one of their techniques just does not work for you - that is OK. For instance, one of the techniques for clearing around corners was the "rollover" of the firearm. It involves rolling the gun to the side, finding your sight, and taking your shot. This is for close quarters, so you are really compressed in this whole movement. That exercise did things to my shoulders and deltoids that had them burning - it was not comfortable and very awkward for me. Doesn't mean I won't try to practice that - but it was not a natural feeling to me.

If you do take this class, remember these instructors are people too - just with a lot more experience than you. But, they are willing to answer questions and discuss with you. While getting a ride to my live fire house (I had requested #3 as I had been through #1 and #2 via Fun'n'Gun), I had some one-on-one time with Mr. Benner. Great conversation, good pointers - and that was just while taking the ride to and from the live fire house!

I felt like I had a lot of good interactions with students and instructors there. I had 3 particular instructors that I really, really felt like I bonded with - they seemed to always be there with pointer as well as praise. That's not to say that any of the instructors were not helpful - but I seemed to jive with these 3 guys in particular.

This class will put some demands on your body. I left each day tired and a bit achy. Granted, I am not in the greatest physical shape, but people in better looking shape than I were complaining about achy muscles. Be prepared, as there is a lot of movement on Days 2 and 3 (especially 3) - and make sure you have something for the aches and pains. A bottle of Advil in the range bag was handy for me.

I cannot say this enough - if you have the opportunity and means to take this class (or any class) with TDI, jump on it. I will honestly be considering take Level II and III again in the future to hone some of those techniques that I learned. Plus, there are 3 more levels that get into some pretty advanced stuff - so there is always that to look forward to as well.

Many of their classes are full - but they will probably be posting their schedule for 2015 later this year. Keep an eye out for it. (I follow them on Facebook, which is how I got this last minute slot.)
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

mreising

Re: AAR for TDI Handgun I-III

Post by mreising »

Excellent AAR and it mirrors my two times through Level I-III and also applies to the Level IV and V classes I took several years ago. I took their Snubby Revolver course this spring and it was excellent, also. It is a great facility and a great bunch of instructors.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Looks like you learned a bunch! Good for you! 8) :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Since this thread is still less than a year old and since Stryker74 did such an excellent job in describing the TDI Handgun Level I-III courses, I’m endorsing all that Stryker74 has written up in the first three posts here. TDI Handgun Level I-III is an outstanding three-day series of courses on this topic.

My additions to Stryker74's outstanding writeup:

Our Student:Instructor ratio seemed to be closer to 3:1 for most of the weekend. That seemed just about right. There was always someone giving helpful advice over your shoulder. There were a few times when the Students were spread over such a wide area at the range that a large portion missed some instructions and we didn't all get up to the firing line prepared for the next drill, but this wasn't a big deal.

I was so excited about the 1800 rounds I needed for this class that I was sad when I didn't finish 1000 rounds. On the other hand, I still shot lots and lots, and still have plenty for followup practice this summer!

My advice to those considering this series of courses:
1) Take it. Plan for it, budget for it, treat it like an immersion event/experience rather than just a trio of all-day classes. This isn't like your CHL course times three. Much. More. Than. That. (Is that enough emphasis?)
2) Continue to practice. Your skills will atrophy and anyway, there’s no way you soaked in all that “firehose" during those 24 hours of instruction. Practice, practice, practice.

My three “best” moments:
Best Instruction: being told to lock the support wrist down and throw that thumb onto the slide. Yes, the slide. It worked, I re-acquired the target so much faster and I didn’t lose a thumb.
Best Adrenaline: clearing the house. I hope I never have to do that for real, but I’m practicing those skills in my own home already.
Best non-firearm Instruction: the whole “furtive movement” section (I think that was the name). That has already changed how I exit the car, walk down the street and observe my surroundings.

Well, that was more than I intended to write. Put it down to it being such an excellent series of courses.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

rimfireOH wrote:Since this thread is still less than a year old and since Stryker74 did such an excellent job in describing the TDI Handgun Level I-III courses, I’m endorsing all that Stryker74 has written up in the first three posts here. TDI Handgun Level I-III is an outstanding three-day series of courses on this topic.

My additions to Stryker74's outstanding writeup:

Our Student:Instructor ratio seemed to be closer to 3:1 for most of the weekend. That seemed just about right. There was always someone giving helpful advice over your shoulder. There were a few times when the Students were spread over such a wide area at the range that a large portion missed some instructions and we didn't all get up to the firing line prepared for the next drill, but this wasn't a big deal.

I was so excited about the 1800 rounds I needed for this class that I was sad when I didn't finish 1000 rounds. On the other hand, I still shot lots and lots, and still have plenty for followup practice this summer!

My advice to those considering this series of courses:
1) Take it. Plan for it, budget for it, treat it like an immersion event/experience rather than just a trio of all-day classes. This isn't like your CHL course times three. Much. More. Than. That. (Is that enough emphasis?)
2) Continue to practice. Your skills will atrophy and anyway, there’s no way you soaked in all that “firehose" during those 24 hours of instruction. Practice, practice, practice.

My three “best” moments:
Best Instruction: being told to lock the support wrist down and throw that thumb onto the slide. Yes, the slide. It worked, I re-acquired the target so much faster and I didn’t lose a thumb.
Best Adrenaline: clearing the house. I hope I never have to do that for real, but I’m practicing those skills in my own home already.
Best non-firearm Instruction: the whole “furtive movement” section (I think that was the name). That has already changed how I exit the car, walk down the street and observe my surroundings.

Well, that was more than I intended to write. Put it down to it being such an excellent series of courses.
I was surprised to see this thread resurrected!

Glad you enjoyed it! I am booked for Labor Day weekend myself for another round of I-III - and am looking forward to it. I want to try to clear house #1 or 2 this next time - did #3 last year.

Rolling that wrist forward and locking makes a world of difference. That was one that I practiced in a lot. With that, I have been drilling on the NRA 'Personal Protection In The Home' Instrictor shooting qualification. (From low ready, 2 shots on 9" target from 21 feet in 2 seconds or less.) Having the wrist locked shaves time off of that drill - a lot of time.
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer