NRA New training format / effect on the Ohio CCW training

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

NRA New training format / effect on the Ohio CCW training

Post by Bruenor »

The NRA Instructors update revealed that a lot of the NRA coursework is moving online, there would be no more student packets to order, Tests will be web based, Certificates would print from the web, and some various other changes, from the sounds of it they may still be working out the details. They also indicated their displeasure at instructors advertising as a NRA Certified Trainer then not following the NRA course exactly as prepared by the NRA (citing liability).

While it's a bit early to speculate how exactly they are changing the course and making it more online with less instructor involvement for portions, I was wondering how this might impact the 10 hour classroom training requirement in Ohio's CCW law if part of the course is moved online, rather than in the classroom.

I am finding nothing on the instructors website about exactly what the upcoming changes are, not sure if anyone else here has more information on this..

Anyone out there in a position to get more information from the NRA to see if we will have an issue, or will we just need to add to the classroom portion of the training with useful information to fulfill the 10 hour requirement ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Re: NRA New training format / effect on the Ohio CCW trainin

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I was hoping to go to that training session on Saturday at the NRA Meeting but forgot about it till I happened to be leaving. I wonder if Mark Reising would have any more info as he's an NRA Training Councelor. Hopefully he'll chime in.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

Keep in mind that the 10 hours is 10 hours of instruction. This does not mean that it has to be 10 hours in a classroom. Also if the current legislation that is being reviewed is passed and is made law the required time for the course will drop from 12 hours (10 hours of instruction 2 hours of range time including live fire) to a 4 hour minimum class with no live fire requirement (which I don't care for that part). Seen to many newbie's go through the course with no experience shooting a firearm till the class. Now they'll be able to obtain a CHL with even less training/experience.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

ATGglobal wrote:Keep in mind that the 10 hours is 10 hours of instruction. This does not mean that it has to be 10 hours in a classroom. Also if the current legislation that is being reviewed is passed and is made law the required time for the course will drop from 12 hours (10 hours of instruction 2 hours of range time including live fire) to a 4 hour minimum class with no live fire requirement (which I don't care for that part). Seen to many newbie's go through the course with no experience shooting a firearm till the class. Now they'll be able to obtain a CHL with even less training/experience.
Incorrect. If you are referring to HB 203, live-fire is still required, there is just no minimum.

The class requirements in R.C. 2923.125(G)(1) get modified to:
...shall include at least four hours of training in the safe handling and use of a firearm that shall include training on all of the following matters:

(a) The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;

(b) The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;

(c) The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;

(d) Gun handling training.

(e) Training that consists of range time and live-fire training;

(f) The locations where carrying a concealed handgun with a valid license are prohibited.
MyWifeSaidYes
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

As long as live fire is still required, there is an opportunity for people to go through the low- hour bare minimums class (under proposed law) or take a more thorough class with more training. In a way, there will be more flexibility for instructors to help more serious shooters by offering varied length curriculum while at least being able to get more people their CHL that may have not been able to do so in the past due to course length requirements.

I can see benefits to the proposed 4 hour course requirement as well as.problems with it. I would hope that people going through the 4 hour course would seek more training.

just my .02 cents worth.

David
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

honestly I hope people that took the 12 hour class seek additional training...
I'm opposed to it being government mandated, however.
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

I'll be teaching 100% of my classes in person. I do like the idea of reduced hours for the classes though. 12 hours is overkill for an intro/safety class : )
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

techguy85 wrote:honestly I hope people that took the 12 hour class seek additional training...
I'm opposed to it being government mandated, however.
I took the 12 hour and want more training also. Just haven't had the time yet, but I go to the range regularly and shoot IDPA regularly now. Practice practice practice.

David
mreising

Post by mreising »

Jedi: Unfortunately I was otherwise occupied (TDI Snubby course Thur-Fri and personal business on Sat-Sun) and did not make it to the annual meeting this year and so also missed the instructor meeting. I have not yet received any updates from NRA concerning the new formats. I agree with the comment about people "advertising" NRA classes that are not; it should not be happening. I wish the NRA had a program for QC on instructors.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I was told I can advertise that I am an NRA certified instructor, which I am, but I cannot advertise the class as an NRA course if not following the NRA course exactly, which I don't. I also do not use the NRA test or the NRA certificate.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB