instructors insurance

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

747tech

instructors insurance

Post by 747tech »

Question for you instructors out there.
I am currently working toward the advanced pistol instructors certification with the NRA.
I want to teach more of a defensive pistol type of course.
I called the insurance company working with the NRA and was told they would insure as long as I taught courses I was certified for. That to me means I must teach only the NRA course and not deviate into a self designed curriculum.
My question is where can I get insurance that is reasonably priced to cover my liability?

I was once told to get a blanket home owner policy, but when I looked into it the cost was astronomical as compared to the couple hundred dollars with the NRA affiliated company.
Thanks
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
JediSkipdogg

Re: instructors insurance

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Call Lockton Risk directly. They are the one that provides the NRA Insurance. Their website even says they cover non-NRA classes....

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/instructors.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This plan is available to certified instructors, training counselors and coaches, and provides coverage for both NRA and non-NRA courses.
I personally think anything less than the $300 plan isn't worth it and that's what I pay yearly for even if I don't teach a class (which I don't think I taught once in 2013.)
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Yes, the "pro" insurance covers non-NRA courses. You will probably have to provide a syllabus and they may place restrictions on what you teach. We have coverage through the NRA program for our "intermediate" and "advanced" non-NRA courses, however they excluded coverage for any hand to hand combat (not that we do that). As Jedi mentioned, you have to get the higher level insurance for that coverage as the basic instructor insurance does not cover it.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
747tech

Post by 747tech »

Thanks for the info guys
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor