Q: Should someone have to pass a background check PRIOR to a

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Southwest134

Q: Should someone have to pass a background check PRIOR to a

Post by Southwest134 »

This question is directed ONLY towards those within the forum whom are fellow firearms instructors!

I am writing to inquire as to the perspective of others regarding this topic.

First off, let me state that I (as a firearms instructor) do NOT require this, but instead this has come to my attention that another firearms instructor is requiring this, as I figured I'd ask here and find out what others thought of this "tactic"

Should a firearms instructor REQUIRE a perspective student (whom is seeking to obtain the training to apply for their Ohio CCW permit) to undergo and pass a background check PRIOR to being allowed to attend the basic training course in order to satasify the training requirements per ORC to apply for an Ohio CCW permit?

Additionally, let me state that this other person whom is requiring this is charging a FEE for this background check to be done!

Now, let me state on the one side of this issue, I understand this would be a requirement specific only to that instructor and/or training facility and that they "may" be doing so because of "their" policy is in am attempt to prevent someone whom is legally precluded (not allowed) to have posession of a firearm from taking their class -OR- this could be perceived as a "money grab" tactic to attempt to try to scam more $$$ out of perspective students.

Now, as we all know, the ONLY background check that someone is REQUIRED to pass in order to OBTAIN an Ohio CCW permit is the background check conducted by the local county sheriff whom is processing the application.

That said, what do other instructors think about this?

Personally, I think that an instructor should NOT require a perspective student to pass a background check PRIOR to being allowed to attend a training course to satasify the ORC requirements to apply for an Ohio CCW permit!

As we all know, the NRA does NOT require such, and the stance of the NRA with regard to firearms training courses, is that ANYONE wishing to receive proper education regarding the SAFE handling and use of a firearms!

Please note that I am ONLY addressing this requirement (of passiing a background check) in relation to attendinig the basic CCW class to apply for an Ohio CCW permit. Such class as the NRA Basic Pistol Course, etc.. I am NOT speaking about this as a requirement for attending any additional, advanced or specialized training classes, such as Tactical handgun, advanced pistol, etc

So, what are other's thoughts about this?

Also, let me note that I will NOT indicate the name of the person/training facility that has this requirement, at least not as of this time, but please let me clearly state that it is NOT me or my training facility
techguy85

Re: Q: Should someone have to pass a background check PRIOR

Post by techguy85 »

I believe it is up to the instructor or business if they want to require this. Their choice.
BobK

Post by BobK »

I wouldn't shed a tear if there was an accidental explosion of their facilities. I would shed a tear, however, if there were any human beings injured.

Obviously idiotic policy, IMO.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm not a trainer, but I hope you won't mind my questions: How much is being charged? What kind of background check is being done (same as when you apply for CHL, same as when you buy a firearm from a dealer, other)?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Southwest134

Post by Southwest134 »

Thanks for your response question regarding how much they are charging...

They are charging the perspective student an additional $75 (in addition to the cost of the course) to complete this "background check"

Now, as to the actual "type" of background check they are then preforming, I am not sure...I don;t know if they are running BCI, FBI, both or maybe just a local county records search (either inperson at a sheriffs office or via online county records search)...so, as to that part of your question, I dont have an answer
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

No.

It is the responsibility of the student to meet the qualifications prior to making their initial application for an Ohio CHL.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

No. The sheriff will do a background check when they turn in their LICENSE application.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

I'd say the instructor is within his rights. Of course because of the additional fee he might have some trouble finding student. It's a competitive market and an additional $75 will probably price him out of most who do any shopping. If he's loaning/renting out his firearms, a simple affidavit signed by the student that they are not under any restrictions to ownership of a firearm should suffice. Easier just to insist they provide their own firearms.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

TDI states that, by signing up for a class, you authorize them to perform a background check though law enforcement. But they don't charge you anything for that check. And all those TDI classes are more advanced than a CCW class.

Since John Benner is/was an LEO down there, I'm sure he has more access to the system than a non-LEO instructor, though.

You do sign a liability waiver too, when you arrive the first day.
Last edited by Mr. Glock on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
mreising

Post by mreising »

My partners and I do not require a background check of prospective students. We do require the student to sign a release form that is adapted from one used by the CMP. That form includes a statement that the student is not prohibited by federal, state or local laws from owning, handling or using firearms and ammunition, and that they have not been convicted of a felony offense (any) or a misdemeanor offense of domestic violence, and that they are not a member of an organization attempting to overthrow the United States. Basically the same requirements they will be attesting to when buying a gun or applying for their license. I think this demonstrates due diligence on our part and I believe many instructors do similarly. As TR said, it is up to the student to make the claim that they are legal. Ultimately the sheriff will determine their ability to obtain a license.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

$75 is just a money grab.

Even if you are not supplying firearms for the class, the contract or waiver that your students sign should have them affirm that they are not under any firearm disabilities.

It is not a CHL instructor's duty, in Ohio, to check a student's background.

This sounds like an opportunity for a different instructor to capitalize on the other instructor's greed.

Sorry. I'm not an NRA instructor, either. If I was, I'd be handing out my business cards EVERYWHERE this other guy advertises.

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
Southwest134

Post by Southwest134 »

Personally, I feel that it's just a grab at more $$$

As others have said in their responses (and as I do for the classes which I hold) the forms signed by the student go to affirm by the student that they are not under disability or otherwise precluded from having/handling a firearm/ammo.

I was just curious to see the responses from others regarding this matter.

Personally, I feel that it is a find idea to run a students name through the online county records check prior to their class date and done so for free (consider it an administrative part on behalf of the instructor to complete while registering the student for the class), as I do feel that charging an additional $fee for this is just a grab at more cash

And, as I have said, while this is not illegal, and may simply be just policy of that instructor/training facility, I feel that it's not necessarily needed for someone seeking to obtain basic training regarding the SAFE and PROPPER handling of a firearm and may go as far as to cause the perspective student to not want to pursue such basic training

Again, I was just curious of others opinions regarding this. Thanks for those responses received thus far regarding this topic of discussion