Run and Gun/Stress Shoot

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ApexShootingTactics

Run and Gun/Stress Shoot

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

Run and Gun or Stress Shoots are great ways to test or evaluate your skills. The video below is of me, Andrew Blubaugh. Each member of our team went through the same course of fire. The goal was to accurately engage the targets from specific distances and positions as fast as possible and not compromise safety. Conducting these stress drills allow the shooter and instructor to evaluate safe and proficient weapons handling, gear manipulation and marksmanship under a little bit of physical stress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pBzJ5wfsb4

The video starts out at 12 feet from a target with numerous 1 inch dots. Each dot must be hit once with the M4 carbine. Understanding mechanical offset is a must with this stage.

M4 goes on safe and the shooter moves back to the next position at 30 feet. The shooter engages the head of an OPOTA qual target with 2 rounds from the M4, transitions to the handgun (Glock 21) and turns each plate on a dueling tree.

Back to 75 feet the shooter engages the head again with 2 rounds and then knocks down 3 bowling pins at 85 feet. M4 on safe, transition to the handgun and hit the 3 steel chest plates at 75 feet with 1 round each. Handgun is holstered and the shooter moves to the next position.

Next position is approximately 100 feet and the shooter engages the OPOTA head target with 2 rounds. M4 on safe and safely move to the next position.

At 125 feet the shooter engages the OPOTA head target with 2 rounds and the 3 steel chest plates gets hit once.

Last position is approximately 160 feet. The shooter engages the OPOTA head target with 2 rounds and the 3 steel chest plates gets hit once.

So what are you doing to evaluate your skills?
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
pirateguy191

Re: Run and Gun/Stress Shoot

Post by pirateguy191 »

Whoever your timer guy was got muzzled several times. Other than that, good stuff.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
ApexShootingTactics

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

Pirateguy,

The video is deceiving you, no one was muzzled. Safe weapons handling skills is the primary objective of the drill. If someone would have muzzled anyone we would have stopped the drill.
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Yeah, I didn't see any muzzling.
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I'll just stick with the biathlon. 8)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

ApexShootingTactics wrote:Pirateguy,

The video is deceiving you, no one was muzzled. Safe weapons handling skills is the primary objective of the drill. If someone would have muzzled anyone we would have stopped the drill.
After looking again closely, it looks as though I was wrong. I do apologize. At 1:23 it looked like the muzzle was heading straight for dude's posterior. Again, I am sorry.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BobK

Post by BobK »

IDPA and USPSA 3-gun competitions are a lot of fun, inexpensive, and good practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyCCGbquzZA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is one of our local matches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLqzY4Fcx8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

A couple idpa matches a year should be mandatory for anyone that carries.

You find out quickly if your carry gear works or not.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

ApexShootingTactics wrote:Pirateguy,

Drills like that definitely require an agile RSO/timer, which looks to describe the guy in the video pretty well. He \also has to be aware that the movements will be somewhat different with a left handed student. Just as this drill isn't for a novice shooter, it wouldn't be the place for a newbie RSO to get started either. :)

I like it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

Please tell me the fellow running the timer is getting better, looks like his arm was splinted!
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett