Things You Need To Know To Survive Combat

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Things You Need To Know To Survive Combat

Post by JU-87 »

Politics aside, I thought this was a good article.
While in the US Army Infantry during peacetime (1983-87), I didn't think our Army actually "trained for war". I'm convinced I was right on that. Granted-I never experienced war firsthand, however talking to some HONEST (non- lying) war vets, and reading excellent firsthand accounts ("A Rifleman went to War"- H. W. McBride. "Shots fired in Anger"-Colonel John George) can provide a "glimpse".

During my service time,the Army just didn't seem to want to be bothered with rifle practice particularly. Fortunately I got to go to Paris Island,SC to shoot rifles with the Marine Corps. They taught me how to shoot. 8)

Anyway, here are some "helpful hints" someone wrote to help you survive combat. Maybe young people should learn these before they go into the military,as they won't learn them, or Rifle Marksmanship in the Army. :roll:

Leadership: Things You Need To Know To Survive Combat
Another bad habit armies tend to drift into during peacetime is using weapons for training less and less. These things are, after all dangerous and with all the safety precautions and restrictions it is understandable why firing practice is cut and cut until it’s a rare event. But once war breaks out you quickly appreciate why sending troops to the weapons range several times a week is one of those lifesaving things you need to do...

...These tips worked in Afghanistan, Iraq, for many wars in the past and will work again, if you learn these skills in time. But because of the cost, and risk of losing troops and training, this is usually not done.
http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htlead ... 31227.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.