What is one gun-training nugget you learned in 2013?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

What is one gun-training nugget you learned in 2013?

Post by Mr. Glock »

Kind of a year end / year-in-review, in terms of one useful nugget you learned this past year for carrying or employing a firearm? It could be minor or major, just looking to share some education among the forum.

For me: Although we all hear the old saw about "train as you fight," I found that also applies to your daily routine too. I have (well, had) a stack of magazines in a box next to my carry gun storage. When I pull a carry gun out of storage, I always do a readiness check to ensure there is actually a round in the chamber and a full magazine. Since this is just gearing up, I do (did) the check with muzzle pointed down toward the magazine pile for safety.

So, I take my first handgun class in a couple of years last year....and, of course, we all press check our guns or make ready or what have you on the line. And, although I know to manipulate the gun in front of my face, I'm doing it down and pointed slightly to the side...right where the darn box of magazines sits (until my attention was drawn to it by an instructor).

Needless to say, I threw out that box of magazines when I got home. Lesson learned.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: What is one gun-training nugget you learned in 2013?

Post by Javelin Man »

I participated in the FASTER program for training teachers to carry firearms in a school. Too many things learned to have just one nugget.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Take your time, quickly.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Shooting while moving laterally, I have to get my gun up into my sight line for more accurate shot placement.
And........I need to train more.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Step laterally on the draw/ reload/ malfunction.

Edit--IFF you need to shoot to stop the threat, when you call 911 ask for an ambulance for the misguided yute. The cops will come anyway.
Last edited by Atilla on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

If ever you draw your weapon and you question whether or not you need to shoot the person, then you probably shouldn't.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I just found out a new way to chamber a round one handed. I really need to practice this one. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JT4zJ-BfEM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Appendix carry solves a lot of problems..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

pirateguy191 wrote:I just found out a new way to chamber a round one handed. I really need to practice this one. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JT4zJ-BfEM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What the..... How in the .....

Is that even possible without modifying the springs?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:I just found out a new way to chamber a round one handed. I really need to practice this one. :mrgreen:

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I can't comment on the technique, but de does seem to muzzle himself quite a bit in the video....
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

JustaShooter, please kindly stop posting pictures of me all over the internet.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

----

My nugget was that even bad mags have a use: mark them off so that you can see what they are without it being overtly obvious. Incorporate them into your cache of training magazines as an additional component for "malfunction madness." :D
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

TJW815 wrote:

What the..... How in the .....

Is that even possible without modifying the springs?
Don't know if I'd even try that. But if so, I'd use a snap cap instead of a live round. Guess he never heard of snap caps or anything similar.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

It would be harder with a full mag too, since the spring is at full compression.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Looks like a fun parlor trick.

However, given that we will fight the way we train, this is not something I would desire to rely upon nor would I train with the technique. I want a reload method that will reliably work the same way every time.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?