pre-press trigger or not to holster?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pirateguy191

Re: pre-press trigger or not to holster?

Post by pirateguy191 »

Cruiser wrote:We need to know more about these negligant instructers! :shock: :evil:
Ditto.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
CMcLeish
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CMcLeish »

We have a great forum and people here but sometimes we need to slooooooow dooooown. Most of the advice is good but I agree with the poster who said deep breath. If we debate every point and tell newer people all sorts of scary scenarios we WILL chase them away in a time when we DO NOT want to chase good people away. Especially when the OP already had a bad experience with people who supposedly had years of experience and came here looking for help. Perhaps when we get a new poster, especially women, we can have some organized way to refer them to a couple mentors here who can help them in a more controlled way and be a resource to answer their questions more discreetly? Just my .02.
NRA Life Member
OFCC Patron Member
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

My .02 is that you've got instructors out there that are breaking the law. If they aren't stopped now, how many more people will be in deep doo-doo when they finally are caught? Let's just let them go on and issue illegal certifications and let's just let the students file for and receive illegal licenses. :evil:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

BobK

Post by BobK »

Jake wrote:<light bulb>
Sounds like a good suggestion for a new TOS policy!
:twisted:
Now you are sounding like a lefty. Why don't you implement a new regulation so you can answer the "We need to DO SOMETHING" crowd with a feel-good rule. :P :P
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

BobK wrote:
Jake wrote:<light bulb>
Sounds like a good suggestion for a new TOS policy!
:twisted:
Now you are sounding like a lefty. Why don't you implement a new regulation so you can answer the "We need to DO SOMETHING" crowd with a feel-good rule. :P :P

Because, if we go my route, the forums will possibly slow down to a crawl.

j/k obviously...sorta...kinda...depending on the day's drama.
:wink:
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

pirateguy191 wrote:My .02 is that you've got instructors out there that are breaking the law. If they aren't stopped now, how many more people will be in deep doo-doo when they finally are caught? Let's just let them go on and issue illegal certifications and let's just let the students file for and receive illegal licenses. :evil:
^ This is what I side with, too, particularly in this specific case.

Along with my observations in having participated in many, many Forum communities since the early '90s that it's a lack of participation that really kills "the club."

Particularly in these days of Facebook and other immediate-feedback (but lacking in depth-of-participation) media, it's my feeling that a Forum community is able to offer a different kind of help to those with questions by both offering more depth-of-knowledge as well as more breadth-of-knowledge.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

The only thang I ever learndded on this fourum was how two spel.... :wink:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

carmen fovozzo wrote:The only thang I ever learndded on this fourum was how two spel.... :wink:
^ You should definitely get money back from your instructor, then! :P :lol:
king

Post by king »

The only thang I ever learndded on this fourum was how two spel....
Not I: this forum is GREAT as a teaching tool. I have learned a great deal in my 30-40 hours of reading and occasionally posting. I believe I have learned more than I could have by taking another class. I continue to read and learn. One of my friends who also took the class is retired military and that person taught us safety. We have shot probably 1500 rounds since end of 2012 class; we are becoming familiar with our individual guns.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my questions. I have spoken to others who have had similar less than stellar CCW classes. I know a NRA instructor who tells his students "don't shoot at the head of the target because there is no backtop for the bullets and who's classes were very similar to ours.

I feel it would be unfair to me to loose my CCW because I , & my 3 other friends, who also took the same class, feel the instructors were incompetent. I would LOVE to turn them in to prevent continuation of their not meeting basic requirements or teaching basic safety, but there needs to be some kind of protection for whistle blowers to make this happen. I have gone on to learn more than most classes could teach in 1 long day. If a safety net is made for whistle blowing I will be at the front of the line.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

king wrote:
Not I: this forum is GREAT as a teaching tool.
Don't worry, Carmen is just having one of his moments, that's all. :P :lol:
I feel it would be unfair to me to loose my CCW because I , & my 3 other friends, who also took the same class, feel the instructors were incompetent. I would LOVE to turn them in to prevent continuation of their not meeting basic requirements or teaching basic safety, but there needs to be some kind of protection for whistle blowers to make this happen. I have gone on to learn more than most classes could teach in 1 long day. If a safety net is made for whistle blowing I will be at the front of the line.
I completely agree, but you need to, as pirateguy191 pointed out, actively start to cover-your-tail.

It's absolutely unfair that you have to spend your money and invest more time again. But look at what has happened in the past to students of those who were found out to have conducted abbreviated classes? Now imagine that you were involved in what was otherwise a rightful defensive shooting - only to have the lawyer of the other party discover not only this same fact, but the fact that you knew of this wrong?

You're right, it's absolutely not fair. But as with many things in life, we've just gotta put our noses to the grind and work through it. :(
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

king wrote:
Not I: this forum is GREAT as a teaching tool. I have learned a great deal in my 30-40 hours of reading and occasionally posting. I believe I have learned more than I could have by taking another class. I continue to read and learn. One of my friends who also took the class is retired military and that person taught us safety. We have shot probably 1500 rounds since end of 2012 class; we are becoming familiar with our individual guns.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my questions. I have spoken to others who have had similar less than stellar CCW classes. I know a NRA instructor who tells his students "don't shoot at the head of the target because there is no backtop for the bullets and who's classes were very similar to ours.

Bully for you. Carry often and carry safe, even though you took a class that DID NOT MEET THE STATE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS. I'm done trying to make sense. Best of luck to you.

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Towards what pirateguy191 said there - look at it this way:

Would you do something else illegal, just because others are doing it?

Take the longer view, king, and you'll see that what many of us are imploring for you to do by yourself is not to punish you, but rather, an earnest plea to keep you out of trouble down the line.

Our anger/disappointment is no with you: rather, it's with the individual/school that landed you in your current situation.
king wrote:...I have spoken to others who have had similar less than stellar CCW classes. I know a NRA instructor who tells his students "don't shoot at the head of the target because there is no backtop for the bullets and who's classes were very similar to ours.
One thing to note here is that not shooting at the head - or another angle - that would prove to be dangerous because of a deficiency in the backstop is not a bad thing - it actually shows that the instructor/shooter is thinking about at least one part of the critical Golden Rules of Firearms Safety.

Range rules - the need to keep safe - is something that must be kept in-mind for any class, at any level. Throwing away the these "life rules" leads to bad outcomes, no matter if we wish we'd done Mozambique Drills or were taught other ninja-techniques in a class. Running afoul of safety considerations translates directly to disaster, and this is to be remembered doubly as you begin to advance. Look at what happened in this class: http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... it=puzikas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

King, I would get into another class that meets the proper requirements as soon as possible, then alert the sheriff where you got your license about the shorted hours in the original class.

Legally, you may be in a precarious position if you have to use your firearm.

Find a class by an NRA certified instructor.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
mreising

Post by mreising »

PMs sent to Moderators and the OP. ETA: to offer assistance, not because anyone "needed reporting".
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I sense a certain degree of liability on the part of the instructor if he didn't follow the Ohio CHL instruction law. I also sense liability on the part of the trainee, if he knows his class of instruction was faulty, and yet he took no affirmative steps to correct the situation.