Tips for preventing negligent discharges

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

brian0918

Tips for preventing negligent discharges

Post by brian0918 »

Whatever you think of James Yeager, I think this is a good discussion of the causes of ND's and how to minimize that risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPOGlAH1Fxk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a home-based FFL, I see people everyday who violate Rule 4 ("treat all firearms as if they are always loaded"). The first thing most people do when they pull out their new gun is point it straight at my head. :shock:
Last edited by brian0918 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Tips for preventing negligent discharges

Post by JustaShooter »

brian0918 wrote:Whatever you think of James Yeager, I think this is a good discussion of the causes of ND's and how to minimize that risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPOGlAH1Fxk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a home-based FFL, I see people everyday who violate Rule 4 (treat all firearms as if they are always loaded). The first thing most people do when they pull out their new gun is point it straight at my head. :shock:
Respond in kind and I bet they learn (joking, I'm joking!)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Yo

u have your rules mixed up.
1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
4. Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

I was referring to its sequence in the video. He mentioned it last but specifically said they were in no particular order.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

He seems like a pretty 8) guy until I hear him quite often say PRESS the trigger. :wink: Who press' their trigger ? :P
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

That's a very common industry term Carmen, as is "squeeze" the trigger. Folks are trying to get away from the term "PULL" the trigger because saying "PULL" doesn't it make it clear enough that you do not want to JERK the trigger.

Trigger squeeze and trigger press have been around for a long time.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Sevens wrote:That's a very common industry term Carmen, as is "squeeze" the trigger. Folks are trying to get away from the term "PULL" the trigger because saying "PULL" doesn't it make it clear enough that you do not want to JERK the trigger.

Trigger squeeze and trigger press have been around for a long time.
Well I have been around for a long time also...Including a enlistment in the Army and I never heard it.....One does not press a trigger, they squeeze it, or they pull it.....You press the mag release, you engage the safety...That's
Ridiculous... :roll: You press your pants...
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Carmen, if we made a list of stuff "you ain't never heard of", we'd crash the server. I'm sure it doesn't matter to anyone whether or not you LIKE the term, I'm merely letting you know that other folks have heard it before and we didn't need a hundred years on the planet to have bumped in to it's usage. :roll: :roll:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

United State Army Marksmanship Unit
Pistol Marksmanship Training Guide
U.S. GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE: 1979 - 640 - 000 - 32 ... REGION NO. 4
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapterf.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Learn it.
Know it.
Live it.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

You press I'll squeeze....rediclulous....I must of been doing something wrong in the service when I qualified expert by squeezing the freaken trigger... :roll:
Last edited by carmen fovozzo on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:You press I'll squeeze....rediclulous....I must of been doing something wrong in the service when I qualified expert by squeezing the freaken trigger... :roll:
Remember Carmen: Squeeze the trigger, and press the gas pedal, but never at the same time. :lol:
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

The only trigger I ever PRESSED in the service was a armor mounted 50cal.Did I mention ridiculous /
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Why be a turd about this?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

You reverting to calling me names now ?
Let the Mods do their job if as you say I'm being a turd...
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Indeed, call the playground lady on me. I've completely violated the TOS. I deserve to be moderated.
Even still, I'll stick with the USAMU in any discussion where your vast experience disagrees with them.

Off to the corner I'll go. Maybe I'll write sentences or something. :P