Magazine -vs- Clip

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rradenheimer

Magazine -vs- Clip

Post by rradenheimer »

I know many on here already know the difference between the two, yet it is still one of my pet peeves when someone references a magazine, and calls it a clip.
When I'm at the range, I can sometimes see the relative knowledge a person may have on firearms by the terms they use.

There is a lot of talk about clips in the news lately, and thought that those who use the term incorrectly need to watch this video by Hickock45

Magazine -vs- Clip
Last edited by rradenheimer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Tweed Ring

Re: Magazine -vs- Clip

Post by Tweed Ring »

As long as I know what someone is talking about, I shall forgive someone's lack of knowledge about the nuances in the matter, and I'll give a great deal of latitude in this area.

One of my friends constantly refers to my revolver as a "barrel gun." It's just not worth my time to correct him each time he so misspeaks.

Same position with CCW versus CHL.

Bigger fish to fry, etc.
747tech

Post by 747tech »

Maybe if they do ban 30 round clips we can keep our 30 round magazines :D
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
rradenheimer

Post by rradenheimer »

Tweed Ring wrote:As long as I know what someone is talking about, I shall forgive someone's lack of knowledge about the nuances in the matter, and I'll give a great deal of latitude in this area.

One of my friends constantly refers to my revolver as a "barrel gun." It's just not worth my time to correct him each time he so misspeaks.

Same position with CCW versus CHL.

Bigger fish to fry, etc.
I do not disagree at all. I never belittle anyone, I do not believe in that. I just try to explain the terms so they correctly understand the difference.
NRA Life Member
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

While I do agree with the point you are making, please keep in mind that:
rradenheimer wrote:When your at the range
...we all have our pet peeves and when you go forth to correct the ones that concern you more than others, keep in mind what it is like to be the guy that's about to get corrected. :)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
rradenheimer

Post by rradenheimer »

Sevens wrote:While I do agree with the point you are making, please keep in mind that:
rradenheimer wrote:When your at the range
...we all have our pet peeves and when you go forth to correct the ones that concern you more than others, keep in mind what it is like to be the guy that's about to get corrected. :)
Well put. I actually enjoy constructive criticism myself, and being corrected if neccesary. There is always more to learn, I never discount that. I am not a newbie, nor am I a know it all expert. I will leave it at that and fix my grammatic mistake :)
NRA Life Member
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

:lol: Perfectly received.
When I hear folks with the clip/magazine thing, I choose my battles when & where I'll interject. Random guy I might chat with at the range? I'd never correct him, but I agree that he shows off a bit of ignorance by using the term "clip." His ignorance is either to what the proper name for the item is... or for the idea that it makes sense to put in the effort to use it.

If it's some manner of a boasting acquaintance or gun-show goof who needs taken down a notch? Again, unlikely I'll do it unless he's absolutely demanding it. I've ran in to my share of "Fudds" and it's just less energy to let them un-Fudd themselves on their own time. :oops:

If it's a friend or co-worker that is specifically approaching me because they know I'm a full-bore gun guy and they want to run something by me, looking for a suggestion, assistance, or maybe just trying to describe something they came across or have some manner of interest in and they seek my help? That's where I go with it, and if it's a fairly close friend, I'll correct them each time (nicely) and I've found that they really pick up on it in short order and eventually they simply don't ever use the term "clip" again. Some time down the road, you'll see them poking fun when someone ELSE calls it a "clip." :P
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Sometimes you can take a horse to water...

It bothers me every time. I also try to calmly attempt to educate at every opportunity. I realize that some people are willfully ignorant and will never learn. It doesn't mean I stop trying but I also let the matter drop if it's obvious I'm not getting anywhere.

I believe it's like this with any field of study that develops technical jargon where hollywood or the media has attempted to depict it. It becomes like a right of passage. Those who are "in the know" use the correct jargon. Those who are pretenders are easily sniffed out by those who know.

See also Shibboleth:
Gilead then cut Ephraim off from the fords of the Jordan, and whenever Ephraimite fugitives said, 'Let me cross,' the men of Gilead would ask, 'Are you an Ephraimite?' If he said, 'No,' they then said, 'Very well, say "Shibboleth" (שבלת).' If anyone said, "Sibboleth" (סבלת), because he could not pronounce it, then they would seize him and kill him by the fords of the Jordan. Forty-two thousand Ephraimites fell on this occasion.
—Judges 12:5–6, NJB
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Tweed Ring wrote:

Bigger fish to fry, etc.
Forgive me, what's the difference?
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Well it depends on what brand gun you have. I notice that Marlin rifles come with "clips" according to the printed Marlin hang tag.

Really, I don't believe it makes all that much difference.

Let's discuss things that matter:
  • --Is a revolver a pistol or not?

--Is a 1911 an automatic or not (it does shoot the 45 AUTOMATIC Colt Pistol ammo :mrgreen: )
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ken
The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

The difference, Mrs. Clinton, is there are four Americans who died because your boss, or some nimrod in his chain-of-command, didn't act appropriately. Said failure to act was driven by fear such action's potential impact upon the then upcoming election.

That's the difference, Mrs. Clinton.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Tweed Ring wrote:The difference, Mrs. Clinton, is there are four Americans who died because your boss, or some nimrod in his chain-of-command, didn't act appropriately. Said failure to act was driven by fear such action's potential impact upon the then upcoming election.

That's the difference, Mrs. Clinton.
What are you talking about? I was referring to your post on revolver vs "barrel gun". Would you be upset if it was called a wheel gun?

Or is that from the latest hearing about the lack of action at the embassy?
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Tweed was having fun at your expense.
I'm sure no offense was intended.

Hillary has a new catch phrase.
Can you guess what it is?
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Sorry. I thought you were flinging the recent Hillary Clinton quote at me, and I wanted to bat it around a bit.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

At first I thought he was screwing with me then I remembered hearing something on the radio on the way to work. No offense taken Tweed.