Outdoor pistol shooting in Summit County?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

brian0918

Outdoor pistol shooting in Summit County?

Post by brian0918 »

I am working on getting my girlfriend more comfortable around firearms (she's had negative experiences in the past). For her, outdoors is better. We've been going to KC's Rifle and Pistol Club down in North Lawrence the last couple weeks, but it's a 40 minute drive, and $30/hr for the two of us. The price is a bit out of our comfort zone given the amenities.

I've searched the forum and wheretoshoot.org, but couldn't find anything that was just a basic place to go plinking, that didn't require membership, referrals, cool gear or an ego. Everyone I've asked just "knows a guy" and shoots on private property, but we're pretty much just loners. Any suggestions?
TKshooter

Re: Outdoor pistol shooting in Summit County?

Post by TKshooter »

Thats something I have been looking for lately. I haven't been to either of the below places but I found them on my quest for outdoor shooting:

A & A Shooting
12006 Fenstermarker
Garrettsville, OH 44231
Open 8 to 4 I believe. $10/hr/person- can shoot your own targets

Grand River Wildlife (ODNR)
6686 SR 534
West Farmington OH 44491
Open Wed- Sat 9 to 5pm but closed January and February- $5pass or $24/yr permit (must get a shooting permit at a local license shop where you would get a fishing license)- bring your own paper targets
-TK

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
brian0918

Post by brian0918 »

Thanks, I didn't realize Grand River was so cheap, I may have to check it out. There are videos on youtube, and it looks like all the targets are setup far away. I wonder if I'd have to bring my own stand and everything to hold the targets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3C1b_VM0Gk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Not sure where you are in Summit, or if it would be worth the drive for you, but we have an outdoor, private range at our campground in Kimbolton OH. It's about 15 minutes from the Newcomerstown exit (exit 65) off of I-77. If you are an NRA member, the membership cost is $25 for 1 year, and if you are not an NRA member, it would be $50 for the year, and that includes the NRA membership. It also includes membership for your spouse, and your children under 18 (if you have any). Since you would be shooting with your girlfriend, she would have to buy a membership also, since your not married. The other option would be for her to pay a $5 guest fee when she comes with you, and she would be covered for the day.

If this sounds like something you might be interested in, let me know, and I will get you some further info, and tell you how to join.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852