Rant

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mad Duck

Rant

Post by Mad Duck »

I was helping another Instructor, with range time Sunday, & I know he is a quality Trainer, & I know shooting a handgun is not rocket science.
But people in his class seem to think that it was, or they have seen way to many movies!
What is so hard about the concept of sight alignment??! :shock:
ballistic

Re: Rant

Post by ballistic »

Mad Duck wrote: What is so hard about the concept of sight alignment??! :shock:
Is this a rhetorical question?
Johnny45

Post by Johnny45 »

If the front sights are high on the target, your hits will tend to be low. T or F :shock:
If there is nothing in your life worth dying for, then there must be nothing in your life worth living for.
Safety Guy

Post by Safety Guy »

Most of my guns only have one front sight!

Maybe I'm weird? :D

However, if the front sight is high compared with the rear sight, your shots should go higher. That is, raising the front sight in relation to the rear sight will raise your POI. I think it was Elmer Keith who had a special front sight on some of his revolvers to enable him to make longer range shots by raising his front sight above the rear sight notch. He had horizontal lines scribed in the front sight for exact "Kentucky elevation."

However...

On an M16A-1, if you raise the front sight (with a bullet nose or the special adjustment tool), your shots will go lower. That's because you are lowering the muzzle in relation to the receiver, depressing the barrel.

A "front sight" that is "high on the target" could be either "Kentucky elevation" or a mechanical modification which raises the sight in its mount. One will do the opposite of the other.

Just gotta be real careful how you phrase things. :)

Karl
I WANT VERMONT! (OR "ALASKA")
That's FIRST AMENDMENT CRUSADER PIGLET!
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

To be fair, everything is simple - when you know how to do it. :D

I always give credit to those who attempt to learn - it's more uncomfortable for the student, than the teacher.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Safety Guy:

Maybe you've got more than one gun, which leads to more than one front sight....

:D

The first time I took my daughter (she's 19 now) out to shoot, I realized that while we'd gone over most of the safety stuff, I'd forgotten "sight picture". I drew it on a scrap of paper while we were driving over to the range....

It was enough for her.

It's not rocket science, but you have to see it, and have the ability to process the information. The latter has nothing to do with IQ as much as with understanding that the invisible line that describes the bullet path can be seen by visualizing the way the sights line up.

You need to know whether to hold under the bull or in it, too :idea: . I've got night sights on one gun that want a "cover the bull" hold. That's different, although NBD at under 10 yards....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Well sight aligment is shown in class, & we even drew pictures for the one guy, I pulled every trickin the book.
By next week we will have one gun equiped with a laser, & hopefully that will make it easier.
I want to say most people get it pretty quick, but then there are those that don't get it at all.
(it's kinda like slide bite, you tell them not to put their thumb back there,
I had one guy cut himself 3 times before he figured it out.)