An Appleseed Primer for Newbies: What to Bring and Expect

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: An Appleseed Primer for Newbies: What to Bring and Expec

Post by carmen fovozzo »

MeanStreaker wrote:
I’d suggest that all OFCC people who attend Appleseed think of that experience as a time to recruit for OFCC. Appleseed- since it is focused on long guns and marksmanship- and OFCC- since it is focused on handguns and CC- are very complimentary organizations and attract the same sort of people
I'd like to WHOLEHEARTEDLY encourage everyone to do that! Appleseed and OFCC definitely have a great working relationship and I'm very thankful for that.

I think Appleseed is perfect for many great organizations - OFCC, NRA, Tea Parties, and any other "active" group you can think of.

I have seen firsthand many "new" people come to Appleseeds not having any idea what it means to be an American. They don't know their history and are too busy watching American Idol to ever think about reading the news and emailing their Congressman. Their Appleseed experience makes a light bulb go off in their head and they begin to understand what it means to live in a free society where We the People truly have the power... not the folks in Columbus or DC.

Appleseed wakes people up and then we direct them to great groups like OFCC and others that help them organize and get active.

Appleseed convinces people of the "why it is needed" and OFCC tells people the "how and when". I'd venture a guess all of us on these forums are already staunch 2A supporters and probably think and vote the "correct" way. :) Appleseed brings new people into the fight.

Definitely a mutually beneficial relationship.

My thoughts on the subject anyway.

If you want to see more pics and read the experience of people in OH at their Appleseeds, you can go here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12698.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...I happen to like and watch American Idol every week.... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
jobu72
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by jobu72 »

carmen fovozzo wrote: ...I happen to like and watch American Idol every week.... :)
Ugh. I don't. But the rest of the family does. I just read OFCC forums during that time. To each their own. No problem with that. :D

But I'd agree on all the comments of Appleseed. After attending my first this last weekend, I wholeheartedly will recommend it to ANYONE interested in riles and marksmanship. Maybe there should be a special one scheduled just for muzzleloaders to honor what Appleseed is really all about anyway.
Hedgelj

Post by Hedgelj »

Here is my write up from my Appleseed weekend in miamisburg last weekend. I really enjoyed it and look forward to my next one.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Just a heads up for you on your clear vs. black magazine desire:

Ruger 10/22 mags loaded with 2 generally will not rattle when shaken. Those loaded with 8 or 10 almost always do.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Hedgelj

Post by Hedgelj »

jeep45238 wrote:Just a heads up for you on your clear vs. black magazine desire:

Ruger 10/22 mags loaded with 2 generally will not rattle when shaken. Those loaded with 8 or 10 almost always do.
That was one of the tips mentioned when we had a breaktime and one of the instructors (Meanstreaker actually) asked everyone for the best tips they had to share with the group. I just prefer to look down and know which one to grab rather then try to rattle one or the other since I have a clear one and the black ones.

My tips would include:
To help get your left elbow into the correct position for prone, lay on your left side and roll onto your elbow, allows you to leverage it into place under the gun (I am a right handed shooter).
During the stages with magazine changes, shoot once and then change magazines, then you don't have to run the bolt (another participant mentioned this and it was a great one)
Bring thumbtacks, much quicker then a staple gun (given by Dryfire one of the instructors)
Glock23

Post by Glock23 »

I am heading to the New Philadelphia shoot in July, and this thread was a big help. I plan on taking my 10/22 for the first day, and LR308 or M4 for the second day. The 10/22 is a bull barrel with no irons and a nice scope, will that be frowned upon? I will remove the MARS optic from the M4 to use irons if I take that one for day 2.
Project Appleseed - IIT-II
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MG Precision Arms LTD
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MG-Preci ... 9336170645" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

That won't be frowned upon at all.

At the last one I went to, my rifle had an "issue," so one instructor handed me a bull barrel 10/22 with a scope. I scored Rifleman with it.

You may want to leave the optic on. New Philadelphia has a 600 yard range. Usually for Sunday, the instructors plan some known distance shooting.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Glock23 wrote:I am heading to the New Philadelphia shoot in July, and this thread was a big help. I plan on taking my 10/22 for the first day, and LR308 or M4 for the second day. The 10/22 is a bull barrel with no irons and a nice scope, will that be frowned upon? I will remove the MARS optic from the M4 to use irons if I take that one for day 2.
No one will frown on you for taking a scoped gun. Using irons allows you to learn more, since adjusting irons is more complex than adjusting a scope. But, the point is to attend and learn with what you have at hand, rather than wait for the perfect Appleseed gun to show up at some point in the future.

Since the cost of .223 has dropped since '09, you might consider shooting that with irons the first day...depending how recoil sensitive you are (even a .223 is a powerhouse compared with a 22 LR). One side note is that the Appleseed method promotes the heavy use of the sling, and a non-free floated AR barrel will shift slightly (but at a consistant rate that can be adjusted into the sights) due to the pull of the sling.

Go forth, learn and have fun!
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Glock23

Post by Glock23 »

In that case I may just run the AR and get some 10 round mags. It is a YHM-8200, and came with a free floated hand guard so my POI shouldn't altered with the use of a sling. I currently have a Magpul MS3 sling that I should be able to adapt for the shoot. Shooting the .223 sounds better than blowing through $500 in .308 ammo, and would have more real world application than the 10/22. Wish I still had my 20" A2 Colt, but the M4 should add to the challenge.
Project Appleseed - IIT-II
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MG Precision Arms LTD
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MG-Preci ... 9336170645" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

20 round AR mags work pretty well, the 30 round can get a little long for prone for some people.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member