An Appleseed Primer for Newbies: What to Bring and Expect

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

An Appleseed Primer for Newbies: What to Bring and Expect

Post by Mr. Glock »

I’ve noticed a lot of new people thinking and talking about attending an Appleseed this year, and that many of these people have questions about the Appleseed weekend and what to bring. Hopefully, this primer will help the OFCC attendees to be prepared for a great weekend of shooting and will keep all this information in one place. If I missed something, just chime in below.

First, let’s look at equipment. Although I love to “Be Prepared” and analyze my equipment to death, you really do not need too much to do an Appleseed and, even as a new shooter, you should already own most of the basics.

1. YOU NEED TO BRING THESE: BASICS

A: Rifle: Any rifle will work (really, if have a rifle and aren’t sure it will work…bring it. If it is a safe rifle, it will work). Any .22 LR rifle, either bolt-action, lever-action, pump-action or semi-auto, is a good place to start (magazine-fed or tube-fed is best, single shot gets a little slow for the timed portions and may lead to frustration). Scopes and iron sights are both ok for an Appleseed.

Shooting a 22 LR all weekend is the most common approach by participants (especially with the cost of ammo these days). Most shooting is done at 25 meters, using reduced size targets to simulate 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 yard targets. Sounds easy, right? Take a 1” square, post it at 25 meters (about 27.5 yards) and try to shoot it…that simulates a 500 yard target. You do not need to sight-in your rifle prior to attending, but if you do, you can use the same procedure. Some ranges have full distance capabilities for those that qualify, so you definitely want to bring your centerfires there. For example, New Philadelphia and Gibsonburg have 500 yard ranges. Others may have them if they came on the schedule after this post has been updated. It is also good practice to shoot your centerfire some no matter the distance to show that the .22 practice translates directly.

AR-style rifles also work well (the .22 conversions are fine too, if reliable). The SKS, M1 Garand and M1A are also popular, but recoil starts to become an issue pretty quickly. I’d leave the AK at home, they just aren’t designed for high-accuracy target work (ask MCM). And, you can shoot the old mil-surplus bolt guns too, but I’d suggest using stripper-clips for speed purposes and a recoil pad. One good idea is to shoot a .22 on the first day (easier to concentrate on learning) and your centerfire on the second day (to implement and improve your lessons). Frankly, even on Sunday, 280 rounds of 308 add up in both cost and recoil…ask me how I know.

MY OPINION: However, I’m going to suggest that some rifles are a little easier than others and, thus, allow the new participant to concentrate on the lessons and not the gun. For a first Appleseed, I recommend a .22 LR semi-automatic magazine-fed rifle (Ruger 10/22, Marlin 795, Mossberg Plinkster, etc). I also suggest you do your first Appleseed with iron sights (learn to walk before running…). Whatever rifle you choose, I suggest you sight-in your rifle for 25 meters and give it a good clean/lube prior to the weekend.

If you don’t have a rifle, contact Appleseed and they may be able to have a loaner on site. Or, some people on the forum here may lend you a rifle, either before or during the event.

B: Two magazines: One magazine should hold 10 rounds if possible, the other can be much smaller. You could also get away with two 7-round magazines. The Redcoat target uses 13 rounds (you can do a mag change if you need to), while the AQT targets use either 10 at a time in one magazine or shoot 2 rounds- forced magazine change- shoot 8 rounds.

C: Ammo: Bring 500 rounds. You may not use it all. Round count can vary at an Appleseed from about 300 to 500 , depending on the format, shoot boss and a hosts of other factors.

D: Shooting Mat: This can be a bit of carpet or a soft tarp or a sleeping bag pad. You really don’t want to lay on the hard dirt all weekend, especially if it rains.

E: Eye and Ear Protection: Shooting glasses and ear protectors

F: Hat: A “boonie-style” soft fishing hat is ideal for sun, since you’ll want to keep the sun off your face, neck and the top of your head. Go for warm soft hat that allows you to wear ear protection in the cold weather.

G: Sling: Any style sling that you can adjust will work well. The best sling is the M1 Garand-style adjustable sling…I suggest canvas over nylon as less slippery. Morne can show you how to use a necktie as a sling, so don’t let this one stop you from attending.

H: Drinks, Snacks and Lunch: If you go in the summer, take plenty of water and energy bars. Minerva was so hot last year in July that one of our fellow forum members threw up due to heat exposure.

I: Clothing: See above. You need rain gear (all year) and clothing appropriate to possible weather.

J: Suntan lotion: Someone always gets fried the first day in a summer shoot. Don’t be “That Guy” (It’s always a guy as women are too smart to get burnt)

K: Teachable Attitude: This is the most important item…come to learn, not try to impress anyone. Don’t worry about your equipment, your gender, your skill level, your race, your age or what other people think. Frankly, they will be too busy shooting too.

2. THINGS THAT MAKE APPLESEED EASIER: GOOD TO HAVE

A: A back-up gun and ammo.
B: More water, more snacks, lunches on both days
C: A chair
D: Canned air…great for cleaning optics and actions that get dusty
E: Gun lubricant
F: Spare magazines
G: Insect Repellent
H: Staple Gun and Staples (to hang targets)
I: Laundry Marking Pen and regular pen
J: Elbow and Knee Pads

3. “NICE-TO-HAVES”

A: A tarp (Go to a shoot with Muxtech, the master at comfort in the outdoors.)
B: More ammo for your first gun (just in case)
C: Binoculars
D: General gun cleaning supplies
J: A notepad
K: A slip-on recoil pad (Decelerator is a good one)
M: Gun tools (either specific to your gun or general like screwdriver set)
N: More cold weather clothes
O: Waterproof rubber boots
P: Change of clothes and extra socks
Q: A masseuse...ok, kidding. You might be a little sore after the first day, so bring the Advil. Working on a prone, sitting and standing position with an empty and unloaded gun prior to the weekend will help too, as will general stretching.

Second, let’s talk about the mechanics of the Appleseed weekend, so you will feel more comfortable as a newbie.

You will arrive Saturday morning by the time noted on your ticket (this is your attendance receipt from either the Appleseed online or mail-in registration) with all your equipment in your car, divided between items needed on the firing line and items to remain in the car.

There is no concealed carry on the Appleseed firing line as this is dedicated rifle training, so leave your carry piece in the car after you arrive on site. This is not a slight against concealed carry, just an operational issue. There is no alcohol allowed at an Appleseed for the entire weekend (note that if you are camping on site).

You will register on site and then (usually) be able to place your equipment on the firing line BUT NOT YOUR GUN. Leave your rifle in your car. The equipment has to be about 25 feet behind the firing line but you can lay your shooting mat out on the line to save your place.

I’ve found a Rubbermaid-style plastic tub with a top is great for storing all my range gear (ammo, extra magazines, eye and ear protection, extra clothes, rain gear, suntan lotion, hat, snacks, gun gear) and also keeps the rain out. I carry all these items to the line in that tot plus I have a cooler with drinks and my shooting mat. You can leave lunch in your car, as you’ll have time to get it.

You will gather in a group and then have a safety lecture (this is why your rifle is still in the car), followed by an introduction to Appleseed. You will then retrieve and place your rifles on the line under instructor supervision. Following the range commands discussed at the safety lecture, you will shoot your first target, “The Redcoat”, from the prone position. This is a “base line” skills target, which helps the instructors understand the skill level and needs of both the group and the individual.

You will then receive instruction, shoot another target, and learn a bit about the history of April 19, 1775. Repeat. (Lunch Break) Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Once you’ve completed the basic instruction course, you will learn about the AQT, which is the scored target (this is where the “Rifleman” badge can be earned if your score is high enough.) On Saturday, you will usually shoot at least one AQT. Saturday has been described as drinking from a fire hose, which shows you just how much information you will be receiving in one day.

Sunday is pretty much spent shooting AQTs and learning about April 19, 1775. You will refine your skills with the help of the instructors and really be able to see the different things you learned yesterday being put in practice.

Don’t worry if you don’t make Rifleman in your first go…it usually takes a few Appleseeds until you achieve that rank. If you like to set goals, then I’d suggest setting the goal of improvement during your first event.

The exact format of each Appleseed differs from shoot boss to shoot boss, but the above is the general outline.

Third, let’s talk about the Appleseed vibe. One part of Appleseed that you will really enjoy is the lectures about April 19, 1775. The story is told over the two days in bits and pieces. Appleseed does not take positions on current political issues, but rather reminds the American citizen about what our forefathers did to create this country.

As a side note, Birdman likes the story of “The Dangerous Old Men” (Hmmm…wonder why?), while I’m partial to “Death Rides a White Horse”.

The other great part of Appleseed is meeting the other attendees, in particular, other OFCCers. OFCC always has at least a few people on the firing line, so you’ll “know” a few people already. And OFCC people help each other out with equipment or gear or snacks, so it’s a warm and friendly environment.

As you head home on Sunday evening, you’ll feel tired but also amped up. You’ll have learned a great deal about shooting a rifle, but also a great deal about April 19, 1775. It’s a great feeling that can be so lacking in our daily lives. You won’t regret attending an Appleseed.

Minerva Appleseed, October 2008

Last edited by Mr. Glock on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: An Appleseed Primer for Newbies: What to Bring and Expect

Post by MeanStreaker »

Excellent stuff, Mr. Glock. I imagine many people will be thanking you for this post for a long time :!:

The only thing I can think to add is that you'll probably thank yourself if you do some simple stretching regularly before attending your first event. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Touching your toes to loosen up leg muscles, rolling your head around for neck muscles, getting in a prone position for 10 minutes or so while watching TV (or better yet, dry-firing), and getting in the sitting position pictured above. (Try to get those elbows in front of your knees, not positioned on top.)

Trust me that you'll be glad you stretched a little beforehand. An Appleseed isn't hard work, but unless you've gotten in correct positions a lot, you'll probably have some muscles being used that you normally don't.

Thanks for writing this up, Mr. Glock!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Terrific primer Mr. Glock. And thanks for the props. I am an unabashed camping gear-head. :wink:
I would like to add a couple things. While they do offer an opportunity for sighting in, if you can do it beforehand try to get it done. If you installed new adjustable sights like Tech Sights, you may be unfamiliar with adjusting them. Shooting from an improvised rest at an indoor pistol range at your leisure will be time well spent. I had an issue with this at my first AS. You need to shoot tight groups to make valid adjustments. You are there to learn how to shoot tight groups at 25 yards. See the problem? It can be done, but as Forrest Gump would say, "One less thing."

Also, .22 ammunition is some filthy nasty stuff. Clean and lubricate your rifle till it gleams before you go. An AS will make demands of your rifle's reliability you have never had to deal with just by plinking. I highly recommend cleaning it again after Saturday's shoot no matter how tired you are. You will be running a lot of ammo through it on Sunday on top of the gunk from Saturday. Clearing stoppages are no big deal elsewhere. At an AS they can ruin a string of fire and doom your overall score for a particular AQT. To score well you need to get all your shots off. (Ask me how I know.) In my haste to clear stoppages then reacquire the target before time ran out it sometimes was not my target I shot. (A fact Mr. Glock will never let me live down.) :oops: For those of you with a new 10/22, remove the stock to really clean the action. It's not hard to do and makes cleaning a snap. (If the recoil buffer pin falls out of the action, just push it back in the hole it fell out of.) You will save yourself aggravation and quite possibly embarrassment. A rotary magazine came with your 10/22. Do yourself a favor and buy another one at Gander or wherever. They feed more reliably than any other magazines you will bring. High velocity ammo such as CCI mini mags seem to have more oomph to cycle the action on a 10/22 than some others. As Birdman has noted, Remington Golden Bullets are very accurate, but can be inconsistent power-wise, (in my experience, YMMV). If you hear different sounds or pitches when your rifle fires, the powder charges vary slightly and may lead to a failure to eject. (FTE). Putting as many mechanical factors in your favor as possible beforehand will make it easier to concentrate on the instruction instead of what your rifle is or is not doing.
Last edited by muxtech on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:58 am, edited 8 times in total.
The British are going! The British are going!
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Thanks guys!

Looking forward to my first AS this year!
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Great topic, Mr. Glock. :D
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Pdave

Post by Pdave »

My fiancee and I are scheduled for the Miamisburg Sportsmans Club shoot in Aug. From what I understand, it is a .22 only shoot. Anyone ever attended one there? What can I expect?
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

Hey pdave,

I am hosting the events in Miamisburg as it's my home club. Feel free to PM me any specific questions you have. We'll be following the normal Appleseed instruction. Be sure to check out http://www.appleseedinfo.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the forums at http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for tons of information.

Miamisburg has a great facility. The clubhouse has two restrooms. There is a shelter where we will be having lunch and our history presentations so we can get out of the sun. Nice, grassy firing line, so there should not be any mud issues like Canton can see after a downpour. :) Hot lunch will be provided for a nominal fee by a local Boy Scout Venturing Crew as a fundraiser for them. I'm really looking forward to the events there in May and August.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

To follow up on Muxy's post:

On the 10/22, after removing the stock and turning the gun upsidedown, push out the two trigger group retention pins and pull out the trigger group (do not take that apart any further). Then push out the recoil pin stop. Using both hands, one one the bolt handle and one on the inside opposite side of the receiver, pull back the bolt all the way and pull it slowly up and out of the recevier (the recoil spring and pin need to be held so as to not fly across the room). This will allow you to really clean and lubricate the gun.

The only difficulty is getting the recoil spring and pin in the right spot, and then getting the bolt back in...it's not difficult, just a little fiddly.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

What Mr. Glock said.

If you are still squeamish at all about pins and springs, though it's not that bad once you really look at it, I bought this book to explain everything to me. I used it to install the auto bolt release and extended mag release my rifle lacked.
http://www.amazon.com/Customize-Ruger-1 ... 0896893235
The British are going! The British are going!
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Mr Glock, or should I say Mr Appleseed....
Great article. Many folks will forever be thanking you. I knew not what I might be in for when I showed up at Minerva. It would have been great to have read your write-up last year....before I went, but I had a great time anyway!
Did anyone mention elbow pads?? Bring some soccer type elbow pads, or do what I did and use some of the smaller sized knee pads with the velcro straps on your elbows.
Speaking of ammo, I was able to shoot many brands last friday with another guy at my club. ( he is attending his first Appleseed at Vienna April 18)

We shot:
Winchester Super X Very Good
Aguilla subsonic- the uguly ones! Terribe, with keyholes!
Fiocchi 38 gr plated HP Excellent!
Remington Golden Bullet bulk Very Good
Eley Not worth the price
Remington Target Fair
Winchester T22 Fair

Results with his Savage target rifle were generally similar to my 10/22. We did not clean the barrels between brands. Probably not a fair test, but it is what it is.
Results with your rifle will certainly vary from mine.
Last edited by Birdman on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Great additional suggestions...I updated the OP to include them in one place.

PS: Birdman didn't know what to expect at an Appleseed, so he brought the kitchen sink (ie showed up in his RV.)
McM

Post by McM »

Great posts, MG.

For my 10/22 I use the Federal 550 count bulk box. For $12-16 this will last you almost an entire AS shoot.
If you are really going for the Rifleman score it might be worth trying to use some 'better' .22 LR like Winchester 'Super X' or CCI mini-mag.

One thing I have to disagree a little with is the reliability of the 10/22 when dirty. I routinely go 500+ rounds through mine w/o cleaning. I think the after-market magazines are the big reliability killer. I stick with the Ruger factory 10 round magazines and don't mess with banana clips for a 10/22. I have had only two failures not related to ammo. It is just another 'one less thing to foul up' to worry about. The 10/22 is a pretty simple gun to take down and clean after the second time you do it.

Mr Glock is indeed right about an AK not being an ideal Appleseed rifle. First, the mechanics of the AK does not lend itself to 'precision shooting'. Second, that recoil can beat the tar out of you in the prone position. Third, the ergonomics do not lend themselves to AS shooting. Fourth, even with twenty round magazines the magazine tend to throw off NPOA and keep making contact with the ground. Finally, the ammo, most folks use cheap steel cased ammo which has a POI that varies 4MOA before you even pull the trigger due to inconsistent loads and bullet weights. Also, the .311 bullet in a 7.62x39 has pretty lousy ballistics and a .308 bullet (which some brands do use in 7.62x39 for some dumb reason) from a .311 barrel can result in gross inaccuracy.

The wife and myself are looking forward to seeing some of you at Vienna on the 18th & 19th.
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

If you take apart a Ruger 10/22 mag and clean it, you can then "clock-in" the spring tension on the rotor. Use your Google-Fu for pictures and instructions. I seem to remember 1 to 1.25 turns is stock and 1.5 turns helps improve an older magazine (I think).
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

Jake was asking in another thread about the best way to practice and dry fire for an upcoming Appleseed. As you've read above, your back muscles will thank you for stretching and getting used to the positions before the weekend. :)

Also, know that at a shoot last weekend in Athens, OFCC forum member gimp showed up to his first Appleseed and scored Rifleman on his very fist AQT target. He said that he read a lot on the Appleseed forums and dry fired at home.

The best way to prepare is to purchase "Fred's Guide to Becoming a Rifleman". If you can't do that, you can try to follow my description of the positions below. Keep in mind that if you are not used to these positions, that they will feel uncomfortable for awhile. If you're doing this for the first week or so, and it doesn't cause discomfort, you're probably not being "extreme" enough in acting out my description.

Imagine that I am walking around in a circle and pointing out details to a shooter in the position.

PRONE

Support-side Hand - acts only as a rest for the rifle to lay on. Your support hand should not be gripping the rifle at all. If your fingers curl up naturally when relaxed, that's OK, but the key is to have your hand relaxed.
Support Arm/Elbow - needs to be exactly under the rifle. It can not be out diagonal, as that's not stable.
Spine and Support Leg - are aligned for bone support and oriented about 30 degrees to the target (towards support side). Different body types will have more or less than that initial 30 degree rule of thumb.
Support Foot - Is down flat. Preferably with the top of the foot flat against the ground, but you can turn it to one side or the other. Do not be up on your toes.
Trigger Knee - pulled up tight. This helps you breathe by getting your stomach off the ground.
Trigger Elbow - wherever is comfortable for a stable platform.
Trigger Hand - using a "firm handshake grip", pull the rifle back into your shoulder pocket.
Trigger Finger - only the first pad of the trigger finger touches the trigger, down as low as you can get it. NO OTHER part of your trigger finger should touch any part of the stock.
Turkey Neck - to get a consistent cheek weld on the stock, lift your head up, crane it as far forward as you can, then drop it onto the stock, letting your cheek spill over.

SEATED

Everything is same as the Prone position, except:
Orientation - begin about 40-45 degrees to the target. Trigger foot goes behind the support foot.
Elbows - both elbows need to be in front (towards the target)of the knees. The meaty part of your tricep should be touching the meaty part of your upper shin. Do not be up where your round elbows are rolling around on top of your round knees.
Everything else (support hand, support arm, trigger hand, trigger finger, turkey neck) is the same as prone.

Dry firing for 10-15 minutes a few times a week will really pay off, both before and after an Appleseed event. Once you get in the position, do your best to try and relax all muscles during your dry practice.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Great thread!
All I have to add is this:

Buy a surplus US Military sleeping pad for $8 at a gun show.Even if you put it on gravel,you will be comfortable! Then your won't need kneepads or elbowpads.

A wide brim hat,the kind with a brim all the way around. A military style"boonie" hat( my choice), cowboy hat,or pith helmet(go ahead,laugh :) ) will go a long way to prevent sunburn on your neck and ears.

See you at Appleseed!
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.