Youth/Family introduction to firearms

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

medphys3

Youth/Family introduction to firearms

Post by medphys3 »

To any NRA instructors out there:

Are any of you out there offering classes other than the basic pistol, ccw, and hunter ed.? I've just introduced my 10 year old son to pistol shooting at the range and he just loves it. I think we're going to do the rifle thing for Christmas and hopefully he'll want to compete in 3 position.

Anyway, I'm worried that there aren't many youths entering the firearms world and would like to do something about it. My local range is trying to start up a "family night" or "father and son night" on the range, but that is about all I've heard about.

Are any of you focused on bringing youths and families into shooting? I know there is the Eddie Eagle program, but isn't that just safety related?

What I would like to do is become an NRA instructor, but focus on youth/family education, not just the basic pistol or rifle.

Do you think having a weekly 1/2 hour class session covering one topic per week (22 revolver, 22 semi-auto, rifle, home protection...) followed by a 1/2 hour range session be of use? Each week could be on a slightly different topic, but anyone could come it at anytime and feel welcome.

I don't know, call it... Firearms, Family, and Friends?

Comments welcome :)
Todd in Haskins

<<Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a Government Agency>>
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Well all the NRA courses are Basic courses, kids that are 12 should be able to understand them.

I do offer Instructor training, but a bit far away, down in the Dayton, Cincinnati area.

To find someone in your area, contact the Training Dept in Fairfax, & they will give you the names of Instructors & TC's in your area.

You might want to take a trip to Camp Perry as the Nationals are on right now, & NRA is there.

You might also want to check out 4H, as they have a youth training program, & most of the Instructors are NRA Certified.