questions about Fun 'n Gun

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

hiker

questions about Fun 'n Gun

Post by hiker »

Signed up for the 2006 Fun 'n Gun event April 2 and have a question for those who went last year. I'm just getting started trying to develop some skill with pistols. At the local range I've been shooting at 21 feet (ok, quit laughing guys, I'm just starting out!)

Looking at the pics on the TDI site, looks like I need to be ready to shoot farther than 7 yards for sure! What distances do you seasoned pros recommend I work up to so I can at least be in the game come April? I'm not planning to win any IDPA shoots that day but I hope to at least hit the target at whatever distance we'll be shooting.

Thanks for any info (I'll be the guy there who makes the rest of you look good!)
Hiker
pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

Hiker,

LY's Fun-N-Gun was great. Between the Steel Plates, IDPA Scenarios, Live Fire House and Force on Force House, it was a BLAST! 8) I am going again this year and anticipate that it will be just as much fun, if not more.

As far as what distances we will most likely be shooting, I would say that they are generally kept to what are thought of as true self defense situations. Most targets will be within 10 - 20 yards of your shooting box. I doubt there will be any targets out to 50 yards.

I can pretty much gaurantee that you wll pick up a few tidbits to improve your shooting from the TDI instructors and other shooters that will be there. After the Fun-N-Gun, you might want to look into taking some of the basic Hangun courses at TDI. I took Hanguns I and II in November of 2004 and highly recommend them, if you want to improve your fundamentals and technique. I am going back for the Concealed Carry course this May. John Benner runs a first class operation in Adams County.

See you April 2nd.
GWC

Post by GWC »

Most of the targets are pretty close. You might want to try practicing at other distances up to about 50 feet. I doubt there is anything further than that. If there is something further, its probably just one or two targets.

The 21 feet you are shooting at now is pretty realistic as far as real world shooting incidents go, so no one here is laughing at you. See you there.

I also highly reccomend TDI for training. Handgun I - VI are great , and so are the CCW class and the rifle classes and Cane class. The one on one coaching you get is very valuable.
jburtonpdx

Post by jburtonpdx »

Hiker
Thanks for bringing this up. I had forgotten to sign up for this until now. Just paid and am looking forward to it!
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Learn to fight and practice what you learn.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hello hiker. I was one of the range safety officers at last year's event, and will likely be doing it again. In fact just today a couple of us were talking about potential drills we'll be going through this time.

I suggest you spend some time working on your draw/reholster, reloading the pistol in a safe and timely fashion, and moving and using cover while holding the gun, as you might do in a real defensive encounter. Also, spend some time shooting strong and weak hand only. Beyond that, I'll just say prepare to be challenged, maybe even surprised! :)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.