What if... #2

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Ever since I learned to drive, I allow space in front of me. You never know when the car in front of you will choose not to go. Or when a manual transmission will roll backwards before going forwards, etc. Only exception is if I realize I was ignorant and accidentally blocked a drive somebody's trying to exit from. But I don't often do that at all.

@MJK: I don't know what gun you have, but I'm pretty certain you should be walking around with one in the chamber. I didn't at first because I was new to having a gun on my side (still am). Then I found myself en route to a bad part of town and I chambered one as I was driving (booo, hissss). I realized that I can't be doing that and to just keep one in there. It's handy too because my gun is DA capable first shot, so I'm a safety away. You won't always have two hands and that's an important thing to keep in mind.
MJK

Post by MJK »

dan_sayers: Agreed.

I have a Springfield Armory XD-40. There aren't any traditional safeties, just the grip and trigger safety. I don't trust my holster very much, as it is soft fabric, I think it is an uncle mike's. I am thinking of buying a CTAC for Christmas, then I would feel more comfortable with one in the chamber.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

I apologize for not getting back to this sooner. Our trip up to Ohio, while not unexpected, sort of snowballed on me.

Anywho, several posted what I consider to be the best possible response. – Just. Leave. Cut your wheel hard right and run right up over that curb. Head down the sidewalk if you have doubts about your vehicle’s ability to punch through the hedges. If you’re lucky, the sudden movement may even clip the goblin pretty good. I mentioned the curb was 8” – that’s actually a pretty standard height curb, and all but the lowest-slung road rockets should be able to jump it. Yeah, you might scrape something along the bottom of the car. Oh, well. Better than having goblin jump in – never, never, ever let yourself be taken to what the police refer to as a secondary crime scene. It almost never has a happy ending.

Part of the reason I feel confident in being able to pull this off is the type driving I’ve done for years. Defensive to the point of paranoia. Without even thinking about for example, I can guarantee that I’ve left a minimum of a car length between me and the car ahead. I’ve simply done it for so long it’s an unconscious action on my part. To paraphrase a DeNiro line from Ronin, “Never go in some place you don’t know how to get out of.”
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

NavyChief wrote:Part of the reason I feel confident in being able to pull this off is the type driving I’ve done for years. Defensive to the point of paranoia. Without even thinking about for example, I can guarantee that I’ve left a minimum of a car length between me and the car ahead. I’ve simply done it for so long it’s an unconscious action on my part. To paraphrase a DeNiro line from Ronin, “Never go in some place you don’t know how to get out of.”
Same here. If anything should ever just jump out at me, I'll know where I can and cannot shift and which pedal I would need to press at the same time to pull it off. To me, the expressway is a high speed game of Tetris 8)

Kudos for the Ronin quote.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I have always loved trucks for many reasons, this obviously would be one of their strong suites jumping over an eight inch curb.I suppose a person could just slump over the steering wheel and fake a heart attack while drawing your own weapon and hope the BG goes away or gives you an opportunity for a clean shot.One other thing would be to drive something so beat up looking that the BG would not try to jack you in the first place out of fear of being broke down somewhere in it. :)
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

the Chief wrote:Part of the reason I feel confident in being able to pull this off is the type driving I’ve done for years.
Yeah, I've run over a curb a time or two myself...
Dan wrote:To me, the expressway is a high speed game of Tetris
It helps if you are heading in the same direction as most of the traffic. You may need to work on your on-ramp skills....
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.