Drive By Shootings

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jronjakoh

Drive By Shootings

Post by Jronjakoh »

Hopefully i'm in the right forum. not sure where to ask this but here goes.
Walking down the street and guys drive by in a car and open fire at me or anybody around me.
Legal or Not legal to shoot back?
After all my life was just put in danger.

It has never happened to me but in our city,U Never Know When!
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
AmericanGunner

Post by AmericanGunner »

Do you frequent areas that have a high incidence of this crime?
If so you may want to reconsider your habits.
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

I think if someone fires on you and puts your life in theat you are legally allowed to fire back. Now, with that said, if they're speeding off down the road 75 feet away and in a public area, probably not a good idea to fire back. They only do that in the movies!

-Kid
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
LSC

Re: Drive By Shootings

Post by LSC »

<delete>
Last edited by LSC on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Drive By Shootings

Post by TunnelRat »

lscronley wrote:I don't know how much more justification you would need to protect yourself by use of lethal force. After diving for cover of course. :(
Yeah, I think I might want to move away... :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

I'd run for cover first. No telling how many of them there are or how many shots were fired at you by time you notice any at all. Drive-bys I'm guessing are more luck than anything, so being away or behind something that will take the shot for you is best. Shooting back would accomplish nothing as they're already off and somewhat armored by the car body. You're better off trying to make the plates if you dare to poke your head out.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Keeping in mind of course the usual disclaimer - IANAL - I'd say "No." My basis for that answer is that they're driving by. By the time you recover from the initial shock of having them open fire they're very likely going to be past you and opening distance. Ergo, the threat is passed. LE might be justified in firing on them as they flee (departmental policies vary).
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Ron:

You really should move back out here to Boardman, or at least stay out of the less-safe areas of the City.

Overall, a drive-by, by definition, is generally over by the time you hit the ground. If the shooters keep on going, you're done, and it's time to check for extra holes in your body while dialing friends & family, just in case. (911's not too useful.) My "ICE" number is Shriver-Allison-Courtley. :twisted:

In the odd event that the drive-by folks decide to take another run at you, though, get some cover and have at it. That's when to dial 911 on the off chance that their recording system will be working well enough to time stamp the call.

It might also make sense to order up some Kevlar undies. You haven't lived until an Irish YPD Sergeant tells you to be careful about what you say to an Italian YPD Sergeant 'cause he's "connected"....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Jronjakoh

Drive by

Post by Jronjakoh »

haha Ii hear y'all! I've been pretty lucky so far. Most of the drive bys are up in the East Side and South Side.
So far nothing around where i live. (1 block from Wick Park) Told the wife if it moves to the North Side then its By By or Bang Bang drive by.
Hope I never have to see the day I pull out my gun.
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
GWC

Post by GWC »

Sometimes the hoodlums stop the car to shoot, then move one. You would definately be justified shooting in that case (after or during your move to cover).

Clop, clop, clop...BANG, BANG, BANG...clop, clop clop,

Amish drive by shooting
ghiapaul

Post by ghiapaul »

You need to move farther up the north side - like Liberty, Girard, McDonald, or Niles. We don't have drive bys up here yet.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

What goes: Clip clop clip clop BANG! clip clop clip clop?

An Amish drive by... :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

As they come at you shooting, you can shoot back. After they pass and the threat is over, you have to stop shooting.

If they turn around and come at you, hopefully you've reloaded and are ready to defend yourself again. Once they pass, and the threat ends, you have to stop shooting.

So goes the example given by one of my CCW instructors.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

South of Youngstown is pretty safe, I am not worried about drive-bys in Salem. Is there anywhere you fellas go to shoot, I would like to join in sometime.
Ruger for me, please.

6 to date. with more to come!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Tiny:

Lowellville Rod & Gun has an excellent indoor range (lead ball only, no HP's, no jacketed rounds, nothing bigger/nastier than .44SPL or .45ACP), and a good outdoor range too.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם