"laser bullet" for dry firing practice

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

"laser bullet" for dry firing practice

Post by CincinnastyKid »

http://rovatec.com/bullite.php

This looks pretty cool. My complaint is price. If you could by one "hangun" kit that had sleeves for different calibers, then the price wouldn't be so bad. Then you could practice in a variety of handguns. To do so with their current setup, if you don't have all the same caliber handguns, you'd have to buy a different setup for each caliber. Of course that's the marketing behind the whole thing.

Buying the 9mm kit then having the ability to add "sleeves" so you could move up in caliber would be very cool.

-Kid
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

https://secure.global.net.au/laserbullet/catalogue.html

This one is more for sighting than dry firing but provides sleeve conversions. A combination of both of these technologies would be nice. It would give you the ability to make sure your handgun sights were accurate and dry firing practice.

-Kid
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

I don't trust any company that doesn't bother to proofread their item desctiptions for accuracy.

Unless they really do have systems for 40mm and 45mm handguns.

That would be one big honkin handgun.

--
Dan
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Daniel wrote:I don't trust any company that doesn't bother to proofread their item desctiptions for accuracy.
tehehehe... :twisted:
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

It would be useful if there was a laser-reactive board included. You know, something that you could hang in the distance that would actually record where you're shooting? Otherwise, it's really not much different than a laser sight and a snap cap. Without the explosion, there's nothing really to throw off your aim that a laser sight wouldn't reveal.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

dan_sayers wrote:It would be useful if there was a laser-reactive board included. You know, something that you could hang in the distance that would actually record where you're shooting? Otherwise, it's really not much different than a laser sight and a snap cap. Without the explosion, there's nothing really to throw off your aim that a laser sight wouldn't reveal.
Seems like there's a system out there that does exactly that. They always seem to have a booth/table at the gun shows. Next time I go to one I'll keep my eyes open - never really paid 'em much mind.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

NavyChief wrote:
dan_sayers wrote:It would be useful if there was a laser-reactive board included. You know, something that you could hang in the distance that would actually record where you're shooting? Otherwise, it's really not much different than a laser sight and a snap cap. Without the explosion, there's nothing really to throw off your aim that a laser sight wouldn't reveal.
Seems like there's a system out there that does exactly that. They always seem to have a booth/table at the gun shows. Next time I go to one I'll keep my eyes open - never really paid 'em much mind.

Yea, the Beamhit Laser System.
http://www.glockstore.com/pgroup_descri ... _val=laser

You can get them in internal barrel and external barrel flavors.

-Kid
rhwiley

Post by rhwiley »

CincinnastyKid wrote:Yea, the Beamhit Laser System.
In the National Guard, we used to have everyone try using it. Now, for the most part, we use beam hit alot for people who are either (1) unsure about themselves or (2) are having problems getting a good zero or qualification.

Personally, I've never found it very useful for how I train. Since the laser is on a constant state of ON, I would constantly find myself visually zeroing the laser to the target - rather than sighting and checking (I wouldn't do it purposely, but would find myself doing it during the exercise until I'd realize it).

IMHO, it'd be nice if the system were normally OFF until the firing pin engaged. Then have the target show where the laser hit it. Oh well - Christmas is coming - maybe I should ask Santa for some better toys like this...
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

rhwiley wrote:
CincinnastyKid wrote:Yea, the Beamhit Laser System.
In the National Guard, we used to have everyone try using it. Now, for the most part, we use beam hit alot for people who are either (1) unsure about themselves or (2) are having problems getting a good zero or qualification.

Personally, I've never found it very useful for how I train. Since the laser is on a constant state of ON, I would constantly find myself visually zeroing the laser to the target - rather than sighting and checking (I wouldn't do it purposely, but would find myself doing it during the exercise until I'd realize it).

IMHO, it'd be nice if the system were normally OFF until the firing pin engaged. Then have the target show where the laser hit it. Oh well - Christmas is coming - maybe I should ask Santa for some better toys like this...

So if you had the target from Beamhit and the bullets from Bullite you could accomplish that very thing. Although, you'd spend a lot of money getting there.

-Kid
MDM

Post by MDM »

The one thing I`ve not seen mentioned is the fact that lasers travel in a straight line...bullets do not. Anybody sighting their firearm with one of these fancy gadgets maybe in for a surprise when they go to live ammo. I do however use my lasermax for dry fire practice watching the dot to see if I`m pulling my shot when I sqeeze the trigger.
"A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it."
rhwiley

Post by rhwiley »

CincinnastyKid wrote: So if you had the target from Beamhit and the bullets from Bullite you could accomplish that very thing. Although, you'd spend a lot of money getting there.

-Kid
We have the complete system, but I've only seen them with the laser on continuously. Maybe it's a configuration thing... Then again, maybe it was set up that way to help instructors determine if the shooter was anticipating the shot.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

And besides what MDM said, without the explosion, it's not a real test to me. My Bersa allows me to pull the trigger with the hammer cocked all I want with magazine out. Doing that, I was able to figure out what type of fingering to use on the trigger to wobble the least. Didn't need a laser for that, so anything else I could "train" with would have to be in the presence of the explosion. In other words, good old fashioned training on the range!
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

dan_sayers wrote:And besides what MDM said, without the explosion, it's not a real test to me. My Bersa allows me to pull the trigger with the hammer cocked all I want with magazine out. Doing that, I was able to figure out what type of fingering to use on the trigger to wobble the least. Didn't need a laser for that, so anything else I could "train" with would have to be in the presence of the explosion. In other words, good old fashioned training on the range!
Yup, just balance a nickel on your front sight. If it doesn't drop when you squeeze the trigger, then you aren't jerking the trigger. If it drops, you know to take it easyand sqe-e-e-e-e-eze...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
LSC

Post by LSC »

For the money that laser systems cost I'd rather buy a 22LR conversion kit for my glock. The sound and recoil is obviously not like firing .45 but it's better than 'click'. With 22LR dummies I can also practice clearing a FTF or whatever.

just my $0.02...
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

lscronley wrote:For the money that laser systems cost I'd rather buy a 22LR conversion kit...
Concur.