SBR Question

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

synack2

SBR Question

Post by synack2 »

Not sure if anyone here will know this, but ya'll are some of the best gun people I know. I have a SBR (With a Tax Stamp). The Form 1 stated 5.56MM as the caliper. If I put a 22LR conversation bolt in it to shoot 22 out of it, do I have to notify the ATF of and additional caliber first?
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
FormerNavy

Re: SBR Question

Post by FormerNavy »

https://johnpierceesq.com/what-do-i-nee ... en-i-move/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT:

My bad, somehow got crossed up and thought you asked about moving...

....the interwebs say there is no legal requirement to notify ATF of changes despite what the form says, but then there are others that say you do. The only mention on ATFs site that I could find is about INTERstate transport.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2012/12/13/c ... un-sbrsbs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So like most things government, it's a giant Charlie Foxtrot with no clear answer.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

IF you are changing it temporarily, like for a range trip, there is no need to notify the ATF as long as it's returning to the original caliber and barrel length it was registered as. You can even put a 16" or longer barrel on the lower for traveling out of state without a 5320.20 provided the short barrel stays in the home state and the firearm is then in a legal rifle length configuration.

If you wish to make a permanent caliber / OAL change to your SBR you must notify the ATF in writing, of the new configuration.

So feel free to swap away to your hearts content for range trips.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
synack2

Post by synack2 »

Bruenor wrote:IF you are changing it temporarily, like for a range trip, there is no need to notify the ATF as long as it's returning to the original caliber and barrel length it was registered as. You can even put a 16" or longer barrel on the lower for traveling out of state without a 5320.20 provided the short barrel stays in the home state and the firearm is then in a legal rifle length configuration.

If you wish to make a permanent caliber / OAL change to your SBR you must notify the ATF in writing, of the new configuration.

So feel free to swap away to your hearts content for range trips.
Thank You!
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper