Klarus ST10 flashlight

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

3 gun

Klarus ST10 flashlight

Post by 3 gun »

Like most CCW guys a flashlight is part of my EDC. Got me a new one that while isn't perfect (what is?) easily replaced my long time light after about a month of testing. To be clear I'm not selling anything and I'm not paid for writing this review.

Klarus ST10
Started doing a bit of review shopping since it had been awhile (10'ish years) of carrying the same light everyday. Stopped on this one as a good candidate. It's an upgrade in output and run time over my old light with only a slight price of a larger sized light overall. It's a 18650 powered LED with 4 levels; low 10L/200hrs; med 100L/18hrs; high 400L/4hrs and turbo/strobe 1100L/1.5hrs.

Nice thing is you aren't locked into a light level from off as the light has a memory of the last level you used before turning off. So from off you can over ride memory with a longish press on into low(10L) OR use a quick press on into whatever you set in memory(L/M/H/T) OR a quick double click that takes you to strobe at 1100L. Only downside to this is it's a side switch not a tail switch. For most common light/gun grips you'll need to learn to use your pinky finger to power the light. Happy the switch is large enough and responsive enough to not be impossible. Truth is I've never had to use my light in a SD shooting but I have used it hundreds of times lighting dark spaces, looking for things or replacing a blown fuse. With these light levels and the defined hot spot and generous flood from the light all these things plus lighting up a bad guy are covered pretty well with one light.

Sized at just under 4.5" long and 1" round it fits and fills the hand pretty well while still being something that will fit most pockets for carry. From my own use I know the high will run at the full 1100L for about 10 minutes before dimming and high at 400L will run for more than 2 hours. I'd guess in levels other than turbo you should expect full light levels for at least 1/2 of the claimed run times. The 18650 is rechargeable (USB or charger) and the light has a built in battery level shown at start up. If that fails you it runs just fine with 2 cr123a batteries. All of this for a current price from a couple of online sites of under $40 shipped. I found mine on sale for just under $30 when I bought it.

Yes it's not a Surefire but it is drop rated for 1M and water proof to 2M, neither of which I've tested yet. For the cost and performance I give it 5 stars (so far). Will it last 10 plus years like my last (& still in use) light? Time will tell but if you see me out & about ask to take a look; it will be in my pocket
An unloaded pistol is a paperweight. Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Change you can believe in..Pre-65 US silver coins
NRA Certified RSO and Instructor in rifle, pistol and shotgun.
3 gun

Re: Klarus ST10 flashlight

Post by 3 gun »

Well this didn't keep it's title as my EDC light for long. Nothing the light did or didn't do, just my needs have changed. Mainly the need for MUCH longer run times. So I've moved up from an 18650 format to the 21700. Top battery mah jumps from 3000-3400 to 4500-5100 depending on the battery. I still carry the Klarus at times as it's size and performance is very good.

My new light is an Acebeam E70-al. It comes in 3 different light temps for either max brightness(6500k), best color rendition(4500k) or my choice 5000k that splits the difference. With the bigger light you also get a massive step up in max output, 4600L turbo. It is BRIGHT like few other things you can carry in your pocket. Sadly it only hits at/near that number with a fully charged battery for about 30seconds at a time. It will hold over 1000L for over a hour if you really need some LIGHT. The UI is great. It's a single large button on the rear. Double click from OFF to start at you your last used/memory level. Strobe, turbo & moonlight can not be a memory level. BUT no fear all three have a short cut. From OFF a triple click takes you right to strobe(1600L) OR a long single press from OFF takes you to a single lumen moonlight mode. From any level when ON a double click gets you turbo and a triple click strobe. It is much easier to use than I make it sound. The other levels are low(50L) Mid1(180L) Mid2 (650L) and high(1300L). Any of these levels can be set in memory for your next normal restart. Just turn it off in the level you want. I've hit over 10hrs of run time in the 180L out put, bumping up to 650L gets you a solid 2hrs+. As with most high performance battery powered tools, the battery you use will & does make a difference. The beam pattern is a broad flood, lighting a hallway, staircase or garage from floor to ceiling & wall to wall out to a solid 100yds on high or turbo. Other than the bigger size, and it's not that bad with jeans, 5-11s or a jacket pocket, there isn't much not to like. It is IP68 and drop rated to 2 meters so it should hold up to regular use.
An unloaded pistol is a paperweight. Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Change you can believe in..Pre-65 US silver coins
NRA Certified RSO and Instructor in rifle, pistol and shotgun.