Citadel Wart/Boss/Yadayada Hog Differences?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Citadel Wart/Boss/Yadayada Hog Differences?

Post by deanimator »

Given the almost total unavailability of quality U.S. semi-auto defensive shotguns (and my unwillingness to wrench on my '70s vintage Ithaca 37), I've been looking at the Citadel semi-auto shotguns.

The problem arises with:
  • Confusion between the names/versions of the various conventional shotguns (Warthog, Boss Hog, ATAC, etc., etc., etc.).
  • Important design changes due to an out of battery safety issue spotlighted on YouTube.
Rural King has a great deal on these guns, but I was looking for (I thought) a "Warthog". Citadel's catalog only shows the "Boss Hog", and half of the online catalog entries for various stores show no "Hog" name AT ALL.

Can anybody clear up the confusion so that I can end up with what I want (and not something with inadequate locking lug engagement)?
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Citadel Wart/Boss/Yadayada Hog Differences?

Post by steves 50de »

The boss is an AR15 platform,.... the wart hog is standard looking shotgun with a pistol grip. Don't know anything about bolts or the quality of these guns. Have you looked at the kel tec KSG pump twin feed tubes holds 15 rounds. I have seen a few at the last gun show but,.... like everything else they want an arm and a leg for it.
Black Rifles Matter
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:The boss is an AR15 platform,.... the wart hog is standard looking shotgun with a pistol grip. Don't know anything about bolts or the quality of these guns. Have you looked at the kel tec KSG pump twin feed tubes holds 15 rounds. I have seen a few at the last gun show but,.... like everything else they want an arm and a leg for it.
Actually, the Boss Hog is a conventionally stocked semi-auto shotgun, unrelated to the AR.

There are both conventionally and pistol grip stocked versions of the Warthog.

I'm not looking for a pump gun, just a semi-auto, either a Mossberg or the Citadel.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Good luck I hope you can find something. What is the max you want to spend. :?:
Black Rifles Matter
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:Good luck I hope you can find something. What is the max you want to spend. :?:
I was willing to pay market price for a Mossberg 930 until I discovered they were unobtanium and started reading about the Boss/Wart Hogs.

Whatever Citadel they're selling at Rural King is going for $199. Add in the cost of a Carlson's Benelli Nova/Supernova magazine extension AND a dot sight and it still doesn't come close to the price of a Mossberg, even if you could find one.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

deanimator wrote:
steves 50de wrote:Good luck I hope you can find something. What is the max you want to spend. :?:
I was willing to pay market price for a Mossberg 930 until I discovered they were unobtanium and started reading about the Boss/Wart Hogs.

Whatever Citadel they're selling at Rural King is going for $199. Add in the cost of a Carlson's Benelli Nova/Supernova magazine extension AND a dot sight and it still doesn't come close to the price of a Mossberg, even if you could find one.
I have 930spx brand new never fired bought it at dick's in I think 2008,.... before they turned on us. It's my only semi auto defense shotgun so I have to hang on to it.
I think I paid like 630 for it. I should at least test fire the dam thing. :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:I have 930spx brand new never fired bought it at dick's in I think 2008,.... before they turned on us.
Their Soviet style customer "service" is so tragically awful, I'm surprised they paid attention to you long enough to sell it to you.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

The Stoger M3000 may be another option. They are pretty popular in 3 gun, and have a fairly good rep.
Probably have to get it online though.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

I was at Cabela's today to pick up a Winchester marine 12 Ga that I ordered on line.
They have a large section of shotguns including Stoeger,.... it may be worth checking out Deano. Also no nic's check with a CHL.
Black Rifles Matter
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:I was at Cabela's today to pick up a Winchester marine 12 Ga that I ordered on line.
They have a large section of shotguns including Stoeger,.... it may be worth checking out Deano. Also no nic's check with a CHL.
I've been regularly checking out their online catalog and as of a day or two ago, they didn't have anything I wanted or could afford. They've got a lot of hunting shotguns. Unfortunately, I'm looking for a semi-auto self-defense shotgun. I suppose it's possible that there's a wide divergence between what they have in Avon vs. what's shown online.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Deano you may want to take a ride out to dunham's sporting goods at midway mall.
All the guns are on sale,... they have a semi auto 12 ga bull pup for 599 you may like
its very short.
Black Rifles Matter
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:Deano you may want to take a ride out to dunham's sporting goods at midway mall.
All the guns are on sale,... they have a semi auto 12 ga bull pup for 599 you may like
its very short.
I haven't actually been in Midway Mall since I bought my M1917 Enfield at Kresge's.

The next time I'll have to check them out the next time I'm out that way.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I finally made it out to Rural King yesterday.

From what I could tell, the gun was the pre-modification version, since I could clearly see the locking lug in the ejection port, and it didn't seem to have a lot of engagement.

Since the price had gone up to $299.99, I didn't bother to ask to take it apart to confirm the revision level.

I guess I'll be sticking with my Ithaca 37DSPS, sans upgrades, for the foreseeable future.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

deanimator wrote:I finally made it out to Rural King yesterday.

From what I could tell, the gun was the pre-modification version, since I could clearly see the locking lug in the ejection port, and it didn't seem to have a lot of engagement.

Since the price had gone up to $299.99, I didn't bother to ask to take it apart to confirm the revision level.

I guess I'll be sticking with my Ithaca 37DSPS, sans upgrades, for the foreseeable future.
Let me know if you want to take a ride out to Dunham's with me to check out the semi auto shotguns. :wink:
Black Rifles Matter
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

steves 50de wrote:
deanimator wrote:I finally made it out to Rural King yesterday.

Let me know if you want to take a ride out to Dunham's with me to check out the semi auto shotguns. :wink:
Actually now, I'm looking into the SDS Imports AR-T02.

SDS appears to have a MUCH better reputation than Citadel. Their AKSA(?) gets great reviews, but I'm trying to get information on the AR-T02. It apparently takes Remington magazine tube extensions without modification.

Unfortunately, Dunham's doesn't appear to have them, at least not in stock.