44Spl factory ammo chrono data

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

44Spl factory ammo chrono data

Post by Morne »

Just because I happened to be shooting a .44 today, figured I would run some factory ammo over the chrono:

74 F, 66% RH, 29.86" Hg

S&W Model 69 with a 4" barrel

Hornady 180-gr XTP (5 data points)
Average = 850
ES = 33.1
SD = 12.8

Fiocchi 210-gr LFP (15 data points)
Average = 789
ES = 58.8
SD = 15.7

Blazer 200-gr GDHP (15 data points)
Average = 846
ES = 88.6
SD = 23.2

Comparing this to the rimfire from the other day you can see much tighter velocity spreads with the centerfire. All things considered it isn't too bad.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: 44Spl factory ammo chrono data

Post by Sevens »

I find that using the chrono is annoying at best and frustrating at worst, but I always enjoy reading about the results that folks post and you post a lot of them and I like reading about ‘em.

Here’s what I wonder! I wonder how the results might improve, if at all, if you did every recorded shot with only one particular marked chamber.

I really do wonder! But not enough to do it myself. :D

However, if I owned a great piece of land and I could shoot at home and often, this is the kind of thing I’d probably do.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!