Testing hollow point

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

FrankW

Testing hollow point

Post by FrankW »

I'm in Cincinnati and recently purchased a box of hollow point ammo to keep on hand for self defense. However, i can't find a range that will allow me to test it. Can anyone direct me to a place in Cincinnati area where i can legally shoot hollow points just so i can make sure these work OK?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Testing hollow point

Post by JustaShooter »

I can't help since I'm up in the Akron/Canton area, but I can't think of any ranges near me that *don't* allow hollowpoint ammo. Maybe I've just never read their policies closely enough, but the only ammo restrictions I've seen prohibit stuff like steel case, steel core, tracer, incendiary, etc.

Good luck!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Welcome to OFCC from another SW Ohio shooter. I go to Queen City Shooters near Independence Kentucky, mainly because the yearly membership is less than other ranges here. They have no restrictions concerning hollowpoint ammunition. Wasn't aware that any of them did, to be honest.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
FrankW

Post by FrankW »

Really? The few i called said they didn't allow hollow point. I assumed that was a standard thing. Perhaps i misunderstood or maybe i just got unlucky. I'll ask around more. Thanks.
dademoss

Post by dademoss »

I don't think Point Blank West has ever asked what I was shooting as long as it wasn't tracer, steel core, buckshot, or birdshot ammo. Just ran a PMR-30 with HP ammo last month, and a .357 with HP a while before that.

I didn't ask, I read the rules and went and shot.
xracer

Post by xracer »

If shooting rifles I know ranges that require hollow points to protect the backstop.
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.