Do you Stage the Trigger on a Double Action Revolver?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

synack2

Do you Stage the Trigger on a Double Action Revolver?

Post by synack2 »

I had a Range Safety officer trying to tell me i was doing it wrong. My 380 is out for repair and I took my 357 Taurus to the range to get some trigger time with it since I am going to be carrying it for a while. It has a long heavy trigger as most revolvers do. I normally aim it, pull the trigger back till its about to break, make sure my sights are in line and then proceed with firing.

He was saying that is bad and I should move the trigger in one complete swoop. I can't hit crap that way. What is the disadvantage of deciding to shoot, and pulling the trigger and stopping for a millisecond (if you have time) to make sure you sights are lined up and then proceeding. Obviously if I am up close and personal I am just going to be shooting, under stress.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Do you Stage the Trigger on a Double Action Revolver?

Post by Whirlwind06 »

The issue for accurate shooting is that when people stage the trigger as you describe. That final pull can move the sights off of the target.
So you get to that staging point get your sight picture all set then pull a bit too hard.

The one continuous motion method can be either very fast or very slow and usually get pretty good results. So the idea is that you don't stop moving the trigger but speed up or slow down depending on how tough the target is. Snap caps and dry fire can help with mastering the DA pull in my experience.

This is a pretty good article with some video as well.
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/how- ... n-trigger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is focused on TDA pistols but the first DA pull is the same concept on either revolvers or TDA pistols.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I am a true believer in doing what you want to do. MANY folks will tell you what that RSO told you, and if your goal is to try and compete at the level of Jerry Miculek, it is possible that they might be right.

But that doesn’t mean they are absolutely right for YOU and for YOUR needs.

There are a number of known ways to execute many facets of shooting and some of them are proven to get results. I’ll bet we could compare it to a golf swing or a bowler’s delivery. There are methods that are taught because they are excellent but they may not be the answer for everyone.

As a side note, I think it’s a fine thing if an RSO is asked for his thoughts if someone seeks his opinion. I might also suggest he might be overbearing and boorish if he came to you unsolicited to tell you that “you are doing it wrong.”
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Vast difference between 'you are doing it wrong' and, a suggestive approach such as ' there's another technique you may want to consider'.

I am a RSO among other things, and SAFETY and abiding by the SOPs of the particular range is what I am there for. While acting in that capacity. End of range session, or line is dead / all firearms grounded etc. (such as a shooter going down to set targets) sure, I can offer a tip or two. Keep it friendly Capt Friendly.

Shucks several times I LEARN something. It is an ongoing process.

Personally , I cock the 1st round otherwise just pull thru
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
synack2

Post by synack2 »

Well I've got a few hundred 38's reloaded. I reloaded them to a minimum charge, with a 158 grain bullet to lower the felt recoil. I am going to go get some trigger time trying to do one swoop of the trigger and see if I can get the hang of it. I have noticed that a few times when I am still staging I stage a little too far and it goes off by surprise. Those shots all ended up accurate, so I think I am anticipating the recoil a little bit. Still waiting on my 380 to come back from Taurus, or my Glock 42 to come in, so me and this 5 shooter and getting really well acquainted here lately.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Here's a trick to try: Load the cylinder with a mix of live rounds and empty cases. Maybe even get someone at the range to do it for you, so you have no idea what's coming under the hammer next.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Negative Big Ben. Staging is trying to cope for bad manipulations of the firearm, and each 'stage' is like it's own trigger pull. My S&W's roll in one go, and my GP100 has almost a built-in bit at the end of the trigger pull that cams over and acts like staging - really messes me up mentally, but the trigger is in constant motion and achieves the same result.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction