22lr ar suggestions

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

lar1

22lr ar suggestions

Post by lar1 »

Hello. I am interested in aquiring a 22lr ar. Any thoughts?
jeep45238

Re: 22lr ar suggestions

Post by jeep45238 »

M&P15-22 is the easy button go-to answer.

If you have an AR already, CMMg makes a great 22lr conversion kit for .223/5.56. It is important to note that if your centerfire is pretty accurate, running 22lr down the tube will make it a pain to keep that accuracy (twist rate is around twice as fast, and the bore is .001 oversized). You can easily take that conversion kit and make it a standalone (just did that yesterday), or get some dedicated upper to go on your existing lower.

If running suppressed, expect your fire control group to get dirty really quickly.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
cromanos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cromanos »

+1 for the CMMG conversion kit. Bought mine a few years ago for $125 with 3 mags. Might come back around like that when the craziness ends.

You won't get the same accuracy as you will with a dedicated rifle, expect your groups to drop by a few inches at 50 yards, but it's a great way to practice without burning up increasingly scarce and expensive .223 or 5.56
"THAT RIFLE HANGING ON THE WALL OF THE WORKING-CLASS FLAT OR LABOURER'S COTTAGE, IS THE SYMBOL OF DEMOCRACY. IT IS OUR JOB TO SEE THAT IT STAYS THERE." George Orwell
marca

Post by marca »

CMMG makes a dedicated .22 upper that is all metal and has bore/twist for 22LR. They might make a whole gun, but I just built up a standard lower to go with it. This is an entirely different thing from their conversion kit.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

marca wrote:CMMG makes a dedicated .22 upper that is all metal and has bore/twist for 22LR. They might make a whole gun, but I just built up a standard lower to go with it. This is an entirely different thing from their conversion kit.

The heart and soul of both are the same. You can build an upper from their parts, using a M4 profile 22LR barrel w/ collar kit and a pre-existing conversion. Add your choice of upper receiver and hand guard setup, trade the chamber adapter for the collar, and you've got a complete dedicated upper in 22LR - I did it this week.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
heathen

Post by heathen »

I own both the Colt and S&W rimfire rifles and the S&W is the better rifle. The Colt is a jam-o-matic but so far, the Smith has had zero jams.
cromanos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cromanos »

The only thing I've noticed with the CMMG kit is that it likes to run wet, at least wetter than I usually run an AR.

Others may have different experiences, though.

Never had any issues with the mags or jamming as long as it's lubricated and not too filthy.
"THAT RIFLE HANGING ON THE WALL OF THE WORKING-CLASS FLAT OR LABOURER'S COTTAGE, IS THE SYMBOL OF DEMOCRACY. IT IS OUR JOB TO SEE THAT IT STAYS THERE." George Orwell
lar1

Post by lar1 »

Thanks for the replies. Are the conversions accurate enough to do 80 to 100 yards groundhog work?
cromanos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cromanos »

Groundhog with a 22 at 100 yards?
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

cromanos wrote:Groundhog with a 22 at 100 yards?
Done it with my 10/22.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
cromanos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cromanos »

BEAR! wrote:
cromanos wrote:Groundhog with a 22 at 100 yards?
Done it with my 10/22.
You're a better shot than I am! I wouldn't trust an AR conversion to be accurate enough to make an ethical kill at that distance, though.
lar1

Post by lar1 »

used to use a marlin model 60.
lar1

Post by lar1 »

Anyone have a Tippman arms? It seems pretty accurate on a review I watched....
lar1

Post by lar1 »

The smith is available, but all the plastic, when others are using metal. I know. I have carried a Glock for years. still though.
dingode

Post by dingode »

Like others have suggested, the S&W 15-22 is a good option. The Tippman is also a great gun. If you're looking for a 100yd groundhog gun I'd suggest looking at some of the .22lr AR platform forums and FB pages. The people there would probably be the best bet to get pointed in the right direction for a sub moa to moa gun.