CHL to buy Ammo?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: CHL to buy Ammo?

Post by JimE »

WY_Not wrote:But they are not conducting an investigation into criminal activity. They are not doing a compliance audit. They are looking through legally documented sales and running NICS checks when none was required. This is a fishing expedition plain and simple. Dealers and manufacturers should be doing the bare minimum to cooperate. Force them to thumb through paper records, do NOT provide electronic copy. Force them to do so at each and every location, do NOT provide them copies or off site access.

They do not have enough inspectors to run out and search all the 4473's. Those are the inspectors who show up at a compliance audit, and verify 4473's are being done correctly as a part of the process.
When those audits are done, the 4473's are verified that a correct NICS approval is on it.
Double checking the CHL , big deal.
Now there have been some issues with CHL's using their license to aid in potential straw purchases, so this issue is not going anywhere.
We do have to be careful, as the media on both sides tend to hype everything.
I read Ammoland everyday, but I do see them go "Karen" once in a while.

Back to the op.....we will probably see more & more stores verify age for ammo.
The cost of liability lawsuits and possible criminal penalties for selling to underage persons today is horrible.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Chuck wrote:I've seen them check ID on a young friend when he added 9mm to his purchase.
They said it was because that was handgun ammo and up until then he had only rifle ammo.
Walmart, Reynoldsburg, several years ago

Never heard of a CHL being used
Walmart did an age verification on "handgun" ammo. They would ask if it was handgun or long gun.
18 for long gun ammo, 21 for "handgun" ammo.

I confused the heck out of a clerk when I bought 9mm for a long gun, Sub-2000 carbine. He had to get a manager who told him it didn't matter anyway because I was over 40 at least.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Like I said, it is a fishing expedition. They are digging through legal sales rather than following genuinely suspected criminal activity.

How does using the CHL instead of NICS have ANY affect on straw purchase?

And I have no problem with them LOOKING at my DL or other state ID to verify age. Just like they do when I buy alcohol. If they want to swipe or type in anything besides my birthday, I'll leave everything sitting on the checkout conveyor and walk. Have done it before, will do it again. And good luck scanning the mag strip or the QR code. Dangdest thing... every time I get a new DL it has an encounter with a very strong magnet and a Sharpie. :evil:
JimE wrote:
WY_Not wrote:But they are not conducting an investigation into criminal activity. They are not doing a compliance audit. They are looking through legally documented sales and running NICS checks when none was required. This is a fishing expedition plain and simple. Dealers and manufacturers should be doing the bare minimum to cooperate. Force them to thumb through paper records, do NOT provide electronic copy. Force them to do so at each and every location, do NOT provide them copies or off site access.

They do not have enough inspectors to run out and search all the 4473's. Those are the inspectors who show up at a compliance audit, and verify 4473's are being done correctly as a part of the process.
When those audits are done, the 4473's are verified that a correct NICS approval is on it.
Double checking the CHL , big deal.
Now there have been some issues with CHL's using their license to aid in potential straw purchases, so this issue is not going anywhere.
We do have to be careful, as the media on both sides tend to hype everything.
I read Ammoland everyday, but I do see them go "Karen" once in a while.

Back to the op.....we will probably see more & more stores verify age for ammo.
The cost of liability lawsuits and possible criminal penalties for selling to underage persons today is horrible.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Before everyone gets their boxers bound up on this......does anyone here remember buying ammo or reloading components prior to the FOPA of '86 ?
ID...logged into a bound book.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

JimE wrote:Before everyone gets their boxers bound up on this......does anyone here remember buying ammo or reloading components prior to the FOPA of '86 ? YES
ID...logged into a bound book. NO IT WASN'T HERE , SORRY
And as an only thing relevant here, it's regular briefs :oops:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Yes, it was here.
I started handloading in 1984, and remember quite well that the components were logged.

Here is quick summery from Wikipedia:
The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA) addressed the abuses noted in the 1982 Senate Judiciary Subcommittee report. Among the reforms were the reopening of interstate sales of long guns on a limited basis, legalization of ammunition shipments through the U.S. Postal Service, removal of the requirement for record keeping on sales of non-armor-piercing ammunition, and federal protection of transportation of firearms through states where possession of those firearms would otherwise be illegal.[
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I was at my local Walmart and a non-gunwise young lady was ringing up a brick of .22lr for me.
She asked, "Is this for a handgun or a rifle?"
I responded, "I haven't decided yet."

She was seriously confused.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I was at my local Walmart and a non-gunwise young lady was ringing up a brick of .22lr for me.

AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

AlanM wrote:I was at my local Walmart and a non-gunwise young lady was ringing up a brick of .22lr for me.

You should have told her it was non- binary :)
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JimE wrote:
AlanM wrote:I was at my local Walmart and a non-gunwise young lady was ringing up a brick of .22lr for me.

Or just answered, "Yes."
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

schmieg wrote:
JimE wrote:

Or just answered, "Yes."
Actually, That is my usual answer to an "OR" question.
"Coffee, Tea, or Milk?" Me: "Yes, please."
AlanM
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

JimE wrote:Before everyone gets their boxers bound up on this......does anyone here remember buying ammo or reloading components prior to the FOPA of '86 ?
ID...logged into a bound book.
I bought a pound of FFF black powder for a little cannon I had about 1982 or 1983 and don't remember that happening.
It might have, but I don't remember it.

Nor the fuse.
I bet buying a pound of powder and five feet of fuse is an eye opener now-a-days
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Never bought black powder, so I am not sure what is required now, or then.
Today the seller must have the proper permits, and it is a royal pita as a seller. That is why very few stores keep the real stuff.

I have been trying to find a original version of the GCA-68, and that is like finding unicorn horns. Everyone refers to the updated, current version.
There is an overview of the FOPA is at Congress.gov (https://www.congress.gov/bill/99th-cong ... -bill/4332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that states: " Eliminates the recordkeeping requirements for ammunition sales involving less than 1,000 rounds."
I only brought this up to show that providing id for age verification is nothing compared to what it was.
Lucky Gunner is getting sued again, this time for having a underage individual order ammo, then committed a crime with it.
That is the sort of thing that scares the willies out of dealers, so we will probably be seeing more of it.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

...sales involving less than 1,000 rounds."
I only brought this up to show that providing id for age verification is nothing compared to what it was.
Lucky Gunner is getting sued again, this time for having a underage individual order ammo, then committed a crime with it.
That is the sort of thing that scares the willies out of dealers, so we will probably be seeing more of it.
Certainly hope not! We had a Big R // Stock & Field that was part of the complete chain sell off. Its reopened,but, limited items. I knew that guns was a tricky item and their permits won't be in ''until fall.'' One clerk said November :cry: ...

OK relevant to^^ this...ANYTHING related to ammunition is still missing also. I connected the dots, obviously regulated, permits tax forms etc.

Then comes the customers, oh, why don't U have this caliber. Where are the 22s. Why is 9mm so hi :lol: :P

HEADACHES
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

WhyNot wrote: HEADACHES
That does not begin to describe it.
"Some" ammo & reloading components are beginning to show, but at much higher prices (sometimes double from last year) on the wholesale level.