CHL to buy Ammo?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

synack2

CHL to buy Ammo?

Post by synack2 »

Hey, it's been a few years since I bought a firearm. I went to Rural King and bough a Smith and Wesson 642 (Air Weight Revolver). When they asked for my ID, I pulled out my CHL and Drivers License, because I thought the law had changed a while back that if you had a CHL then they didn't have to run the background check. They guy said I don't need you CHL, I don't have any ammo to sell you anyway. I thought it was weird, but I filled out the 4473 on the computer and got my gun. Then later I was at the range and while I was waiting at the counter the guy behind the counter handed a later two boxes of ammo and said, no no your fine I can sell you the ammo because you have a CHL. Has a law changed. I never remember anything about not being able to buy ammo without a CHL?
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: CHL to buy Ammo?

Post by WY_Not »

Nothing has changed. CHL has nothing to do with buying ammo.

As for needing to fill out 4473 forms when you have a CHL... that is entirely at the discretion of the FFL. The law gives THEM the ability to accept the CHL in lieu of calling in the background check. The decision is entirely up to them though. Most don't because they just don't want to risk the liability and bad press if something happens.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Ranges (and other gun stores) have varying policies as to who they will sell ammunition to these days.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

The last two guns I bought at Point Blank all I needed was a CHL.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

Cabela's / Bass Pro recognizes the CHL as valid for background checks, too.
synack2

Post by synack2 »

I asked at Vances about the CHL thing and why they didn't do it. They said they did do it for a couple of weeks when it started. They ended up selling a gun to a restricted person who the Sheriff had not taken their CHL away yet. He committed a crime with it. The ATF showed up and said you sold a firearm to a restricted person without doing a back ground check. They got fined $27,000 for it. Now they do background checks irregardless.

They also asked me if I had my CHL when I bought ammo. I asked the cashier why they do that, she siad it is to tell people that they have to keep ammo separate from the gun while they are driving if they don't have CHL.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

synack2 wrote:I asked at Vances about the CHL thing and why they didn't do it. They said they did do it for a couple of weeks when it started. They ended up selling a gun to a restricted person who the Sheriff had not taken their CHL away yet. He committed a crime with it. The ATF showed up and said you sold a firearm to a restricted person without doing a back ground check. They got fined $27,000 for it..
Seems fishy if you ask me - the ATF letter specifically says they've done their due diligence if they accept an unexpired CHL in lieu of calling in the background check so I don't see how they could be fined if they did so. But then, 1: it's Vance's, and 2: It's the ATF.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

tracker1 wrote:The last two guns I bought at Point Blank all I needed was a CHL.
Speaking of Point Blank Gun Shop I went there to buy some ammo and they wanted my DL, they said it was their new policy to track sales.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

tracker1 wrote:
tracker1 wrote:The last two guns I bought at Point Blank all I needed was a CHL.
Speaking of Point Blank Gun Shop I went there to buy some ammo and they wanted my DL, they said it was their new policy to track sales.
Interesting. Up until two days ago Shoot Point Blank locations here had no ammo to sell (other than for the range), so I wouldn't have noticed.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

ATF is running background checks on people who bypassed NICS by using CHL to purchase gun.
In the conference call, the ATF leadership asked its Industry Operations Inspectors (IOI) to collect information on the customers that used concealed carry permits instead of obtaining a background check through the NICS. The purpose of obtaining this information would be to run the customer’s data through the NICS to see if the customer would have received an approved or denied status. In addition, the IOI will pass on the names and information of customers denied by the NICS to the criminal branch for a special agent to follow up.
https://www.ammoland.com/2021/07/new-le ... z6zUNYTBnV
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

I think, on the ammo purchase side of things, some companies are getting worried about the liability of selling to an underage person.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Here's hoping that any FFL or manufacturer that cooperates with this nonsense gets outed and hammered HARD.
kcclark wrote:ATF is running background checks on people who bypassed NICS by using CHL to purchase gun.
In the conference call, the ATF leadership asked its Industry Operations Inspectors (IOI) to collect information on the customers that used concealed carry permits instead of obtaining a background check through the NICS. The purpose of obtaining this information would be to run the customer’s data through the NICS to see if the customer would have received an approved or denied status. In addition, the IOI will pass on the names and information of customers denied by the NICS to the criminal branch for a special agent to follow up.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

WY_Not wrote:Here's hoping that any FFL or manufacturer that cooperates with this nonsense gets outed and hammered HARD.
kcclark wrote:ATF is running background checks on people who bypassed NICS by using CHL to purchase gun.
If ATF is at the FFl to do a compliance audit, the FFL has no choice; the 4473's will be inspected and verified.
Same if they are collecting information for an investigation.
The flip side is, we have seen transactions, which received a NICS approval, *denied* anywhere from the next day, to 2 weeks later.
Does not happen often, but does happen.
Makes for a real exciting time getting the firearm back.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I've seen them check ID on a young friend when he added 9mm to his purchase.
They said it was because that was handgun ammo and up until then he had only rifle ammo.
Walmart, Reynoldsburg, several years ago

Never heard of a CHL being used
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

But they are not conducting an investigation into criminal activity. They are not doing a compliance audit. They are looking through legally documented sales and running NICS checks when none was required. This is a fishing expedition plain and simple. Dealers and manufacturers should be doing the bare minimum to cooperate. Force them to thumb through paper records, do NOT provide electronic copy. Force them to do so at each and every location, do NOT provide them copies or off site access.
JimE wrote:
WY_Not wrote:Here's hoping that any FFL or manufacturer that cooperates with this nonsense gets outed and hammered HARD.

"In the conference call, the ATF leadership asked its Industry Operations Inspectors (IOI) to collect information on the customers that used concealed carry permits instead of obtaining a background check through the NICS. The purpose of obtaining this information would be to run the customer’s data through the NICS to see if the customer would have received an approved or denied status. In addition, the IOI will pass on the names and information of customers denied by the NICS to the criminal branch for a special agent to follow up.
If ATF is at the FFl to do a compliance audit, the FFL has no choice; the 4473's will be inspected and verified.
Same if they are collecting information for an investigation.
The flip side is, we have seen transactions, which received a NICS approval, *denied* anywhere from the next day, to 2 weeks later.
Does not happen often, but does happen.
Makes for a real exciting time getting the firearm back.