New Gun Owners: Read this!

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

New Gun Owners: Read this!

Post by JU-87 »

New gun owners; High Octane info transfer begins...NOW!

You just bought your first gun, or your first AR-15...I think that's great!
I welcome you with a smile, a handshake, fist bump/ high five, etc. :D

I wish I could connect a cable from my dangerous brain to yours and just send a file copy, but we can't do that. Yet.

So I’m going to share with you what you need right now, so you can skip the crawl, and start walking FAST, and start running soon. Real soon.

1). Read the instruction manual for your new firearm. If it's missing, download off the manufactures website.

2). Rather than overload you with links, use your Google-Fu skills to look up the following:
• “Col. Jeff Coopers 4 rules of Firearm Safety”, and memorize them. If you use them, you will never unintentionally remove your body parts, or those of others, or poke high velocity holes in them.

• Pistol and Rifle marksmanship. Hint: US Army Marksmanship Unit, Marine Corps Rifle and Pistol teams, Civilian Marksmanship Program. Look up “Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch” on YouTube. You will learn a ton, and be entertained! And maybe shocked.

3) You now have the knowledge of Gun Safety, operation, and Basic Marksmanship. Now go to a range, or safe area that has a good backstop. And start practicing. It really is fun!

4) Learn about the “how” and “why” we have the Second Amendment. Hint: It's really NOT about duck hunting. I'd tell you right now, but I don't want to spoil the surprise you will get when you expend a little effort to find out on your own.

5) JOIN a Gun rights group. Pick one. I'm a Life member of Gun Owners of America and of the NRA. I can't recommend the NRA at this time, they are going through some self-earned turmoil.
I'm also a yearly member of Ohioans for Concealed Carry, which has done a LOT for us here in Ohio regarding passing and improving our CCW laws.

6) Ammo is expensive. Get over it. Look at ammo as fuel for your firearm. You buy gas for your car every week, and don't complain don't you? So, only buy ammo once a month.

Exert some effort learning the Gun. It will make you a better person. See you at the Range!

Dan in Ohio
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Delta-3

Re: New Gun Owners: Read this!

Post by Delta-3 »

Well said Dan! A good read for beginners & a refresher for us seasoned owners.
Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

We should make this a sticky.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

...turmoil.
I'm also a yearly member of Ohioans for Concealed Carry, which has done a LOT for us here in Ohio regarding passing and improving our CCW laws.
woof!woof! go team! :P

Yes, EVERY JOURNEY starts somewhere! Would also advocate joining a local shooting range/club.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Thank you for your positive comments.

Incidentally, this is THE article that I submitted to the OFCC board of directors in August, which they turned down,
to be published on the main OFCC page, which still has not been updated since February 2020. :roll:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

...oops 8)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JU-87 wrote:Thank you for your positive comments.

Incidentally, this is THE article that I submitted to the OFCC board of directors in August, which they turned down,
to be published on the main OFCC page, which still has not been updated since February 2020. :roll:
Do you know who turned it down?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Yes.

I sent it to chuck@ohioccw.org .

He sent it to "other coordinators".

I said it was OK for a "Darryl A." to call me, and he did. He told me they "didn"t like it so much", so it was turned down. (PM sent with full name.)
I will not claim to be a great writer, but what about posting SOMETHING
on the main website for new gun owners?!

Maybe someone don't like me? I don't care. :lol: What about updating the website? :roll:

Best regards,
Dan