Which AR-15

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WeinerDog

Which AR-15

Post by WeinerDog »

I would like recommendations on buying a new AR-15. My only experience with that type of weapon was the M-16 in the Marines 40 years ago. If you were going to buy a self defense rifle and put it and ammo in the closet never to be used until some terrorist group is invading your home, which one would you feel confident would not let you down ?
I understand all the arguments for training and practicing
and I have done that with my handguns but my health limits what I can do these days.
I would like to stay under $1000. Reliability out of the box is my only criteria. Thanks !!!
ArmedAviator

Re: Which AR-15

Post by ArmedAviator »

Really, they're all good. PSA is common at the cheaper price point and still good enough quality to be trusted. Del-ton as well.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Being stored inside and not being shot a lot is a pretty benign environment for an AR. I haven't heard anything bad about the Rugers. I personally keep a S&W M&P (not the sport) for similar purpose. I would grease it properly, keep the dust cover closed, and a mag in the well. Should stay ready for a long time that way. I would avoid the polymer framed ARs.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

They're nowhere near the same.

BCM, Sionics, Sons of Liberty, would be my first nods for a legitimate, built to spec, good QA and QC, rifle or carbine.

Pretty much anywhere at/below the $700 price point is really similar at corresponding price levels, and given a relaxed round count and firing schedule, you'll probably be fine for a long time. Even then, parts replacements are really easy on these guns.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

Over the yrs I have or had several different brand AR's & all in the $500 or below non panic pricing.
M&P, Ruger, Del-Ton, DPMS & PSA all have had a steady diet of nothing but steel case ammo with zero issues along with a wide variety of parts/toys that fit any of the above rifles along with a $1k rifle.
Keep in mind just because something costs more does'nt always make it better, there will always be haters & fan boys it all depends on what fits you & your needs properly.
BOB
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I just bought a Bear Creek 16" railed upper for my Eagle lower. They have a good reputation as a budget manufacturer.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

I wonder what calibre he's interested in?
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

There's always the Colt LE6920. Not aware of any OEM AR15 rifles, from major manufacturers, that are junk..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Bruenor wrote:There's always the Colt LE6920. Not aware of any OEM AR15 rifles, from major manufacturers, that are junk..
temporary drift, but do happen to know if Eddies is open in GOTL?
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

weakhand luke wrote:
Bruenor wrote:There's always the Colt LE6920. Not aware of any OEM AR15 rifles, from major manufacturers, that are junk..
temporary drift, but do happen to know if Eddies is open in GOTL?
Yes they are
https://www.facebook.com/eddiesgrill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eddie's Grill is now open for the Summer of 2020 with limited hours: Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays - 11:00 am to 10:00 pm. Currently, there is no inside seating, but we have expanded the outside seating area to promote social distancing. Please give consideration to wearing a mask and keep at least 6' of distance (the sidewalk in front of Eddie's is marked) as you enjoy the Strip at Geneva-on-the-Lake.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Thanks! Wife has not experienced the wonderful cusine at Eddies. Sounds like a day trip coming soon.

And back to the original hand, Brownells has an offering that should bring back memories. This is a nice rendition that the Marines taught you to kill with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7zsMRkuIPE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mustard and catsup, or just mustard or just catsup?