Need a new small-ish 9mm, which one?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Need a new small-ish 9mm, which one?

Post by Morne »

So...I finally decided that I am going to part ways with my Walther CCP. Just didn't do it for me. I would like to replace it with something else in the roughly 3.5" barrel single-stack niche. My contenders thus far:

S&W M&P 9 Shield EZ (3.7")
Sig P365 SAS (3.1") or XL (3.7")
CZ P-10 (3.5")
Ruger Security 9 (3.4")
Springfield Hellcat (3")

I already own a Sig P320C and a Kel-Tec PF-9. So I don't need a double-stack with a 4+" barrel, nor do I need to fill the tiny 3.1" niche. I'm looking for the in-between.

Or should I just get a Sig P320SC (3.6") and be done with it? At least that will have magazine commonality with my other P320C. Heck, half of the time I just use a SC grip module on my Compact slide anyway.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Need a new small-ish 9mm, which one?

Post by Mr. Glock »

The increased ammo capacity with minuscule dimension/weight differences of the 365/365xl and Hellcat are game changers as compared to a single stock 9mm. And you get about double-ish the ammo capacity of the single stacks. And they are both noticeably smaller than full sized guns cut down to compact size.

Plus the XL and Hellcat are optics-ready if you decide to go that way later. The XL is available from the factory with the Romeo Zero red dot too.

I think you really need to think hard about going to a single stock 9mm these days, with the 365 twins and Hellcat in the market.

My choice? 365XL with Romeo Red Dot
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Believe That

Post by Believe That »

There are so many good options out there - I typically would carry a G19 or G43 and recently purchased an FN 509 Compact. Couldn’t be happier. I was trying to find a pistol small enough to conceal easily and large enough to not sacrifice a good grip and shootability of a mid/full size. For me (I carry aiwb) I can conceal it as well as the G43, gives me a better grip with ammo capacity between the two other pistols, much better shooting then the G43 (for me), and one of the biggest reasons for the 509 is their rds mounting system. I’ve got four other pistols with red dots mounted and pretty much want everything I may carry to have one now. Their mounting system is fantastic. And regarding the shootability, part of my personal standards is for my carry gun to allow me to make a head shot at 25 yds and an IPSC target at 50 with time standards. This can get challenging for me with sub compact single stack guns - especially with iron sights. I like the 509 so much i’ve since purchased a 509 Tactical as a trainer and for classes. Everything with concealed carry seems to be a balancing of compromises so the formula is almost always different for each individual depending on how they rank importance of the many factors.

FWIW, I was recently at a gun store handling a Canik TP Sub Compact Elite and was really impressed with it, especially for the price. One of the best production striker triggers I’ve felt, great ergos and already milled for a red dot. I think for $365? Have never owned one but that seems like a great price for what seems to be a solid brand.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Shield EZ all day, twice on Sunday, thrice on Monday.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Delta-3

Post by Delta-3 »

I'll second the shield EZ. That being said, it's more of a "medium" sized handgun (albeit a damn nice one!) I'm not sure how small-ish you want to go but the choices are almost endless. I'd recommend the regular Shield 9mm (not the EZ. Prices are very reasonable on these), Sig compact, or the FN 509 compact. In the similar sized gun you can double stack with a M&P 2.0 compact w/3.5" barrel.
Of course the Glocks, SA, or any of the 1911 style micro 9's might suit your needs.
Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Hadn't considered the FN509. But since it has a 4" barrel, nice though it might be, no reason to pursue it further.

For the record, I don't do optics mounting on carry pistols. The only handgun red dot I have is on a hunting revolver.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

NO brainer Shield...unless you can fined a Kimber Solo..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

I bought a p365, put 12rd mags in it and carry it every day. Seriously thinking about offin' my g26's it works so well.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I went with the P365 (not XL) so that front pocket carry would be an option. Ended up with two of them, both low miles used. Trigger reminds me of the P320 series, not by accident I'm sure.

Not a fan of the SAS version P365, because of the sighting system. Past about ten yards it became very difficult for me to make "head" shots with confidence even slowing down.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Carrying the P365. Wife has a shield. Both are nice, no wrong answers there. Sig came with Night sights, has higher capacity and shoots really well. Was surprised how well it worked for me as a small gun on the dueling tree.
No experience with the others mentioned.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Bruenor wrote:Carrying the P365. Wife has a shield. Both are nice, no wrong answers there. Sig came with Night sights, has higher capacity and shoots really well. Was surprised how well it worked for me as a small gun on the dueling tree.
Which is thinner?
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Is the Kahr line of pistols in contention? CW9 gives you a 3.6" barrel with 7+1 capacity. CM and CT give you less and more size and capacities.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

I bought a Sig P365 SAS not too long ago and I'm pretty pleased with it.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Morne:

I've got a 9mm C(ompact), (MP9C) and MP9S(ubcompaCt). Both are quite good, but the XT folks sear kit /u/really/b/ is worth the few bucks, and I had very little trouble installing the kits. One step up is the M&P9, which is just a tad bigger than the M&P9 and M&P9CT.

(I have an M&P9 Full Size. 'Bout the same size as the .38Spl revolvers - you and I could get away with one - or at least I could, but I've lost a lot, too. Good shoulder-holster or waistband if you can stand the size. I could....)

Normally, these days, it's an Officer's sized 1911. Roughly the same gun as a Commander, but with a shorter barrel (about 3") with a shorter frame. Kinda heavy but big as I am (and you were) the size - about 4", six rounds - while somewhat large/heavy - it's very adequate :) ....

Just between us ( :) ), I think I'd run with the Shield .40 if you can stand shooting it, and don't mind it being somewhat small. The 9mm S&W would, I think, be as good choice. (IMHO, the newer Light-Mainspring 9mm or .40 might be a better choice, but might be too big. If I was doing it again....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Morne wrote:
Bruenor wrote:Carrying the P365. Wife has a shield. Both are nice, no wrong answers there. Sig came with Night sights, has higher capacity and shoots really well. Was surprised how well it worked for me as a small gun on the dueling tree.
Which is thinner?
Shield is .05" thinner than the p365, not sure if you would even notice that 1 mm difference when carrying.
the p365 is shorter in all other dimension and higher capacity than the shield.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/sig ... 2-0-shield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/sig ... p-9-shield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson