Taurus Curve and bad ammo

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Taurus Curve and bad ammo

Post by Javelin Man »

I've had my Taurus Curve for over a year and finally got it out to try to sight in the laser light. I had a box of random fmj and hollowpoint ammo to play with. The first several rounds were Selliot and Bellot? and each one was a light strike so nothing fired. I'm familiar with S&B ammo and hard, very hard, primers so I just know to not use that in this gun. The next FMJ was unknown but the head stamp was CDC? and it fired well, enough to work on moving the laser.

Next was Winchester hollowpoint and the first shot was very weak, not enough to cycle the round and if I wasn't positive there was a new hole in the pizza box, I'd have thought it was a squib. In fact, two other rounds did the same and the last couple sprayed me in the face with splashback. I looked inside the gun and it looked like I had gold glitter inside the magazine and chamber. The cases were nickle and I noticed most of the heads showed severe rub as they were ejected, hard to see some of the markings around the primers.

Last was Hornady hollowpoints. Everything was very good, accuracy was good to finalize the laser adjustment and the heads were not rubbed.

The rounds were in random order though I knew which was being used at which time.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd like to use this gun as a backup, I have used a Taurus TCP for a long time as a backup and it shoots very nice. Hornady is my favorite hollowpoint ammo that I use in most of my guns.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Taurus Curve and bad ammo

Post by Mr. Glock »

Clean it, buy something like Winchester fmj (the ones with the flat fmj to simulate hollow points) and shoot 200 rounds of it flawlessly. Then shoot 100 rounds of Hornady HPs flawlessly. I’d do that as a good test, then you can think about carrying it.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Sounds like a good and fun plan, Mr. G. :D I was going to carry a backup for the backup, but your plan is sound as well.

When I cleaned it, I noticed it was very dry. I shoot almost all my guns straight from the box to see how they operate immediately. This gun didn't perform as well as most. I like to see how they perform with S&B ammo which requires a hard strike and how the gun loads hollowpoints. Those two tests tell me a lot and I can see where the POI is on the target while testing and adjust the sights.

Cleaning the gun won't change the light strikes, that would take snipping a little off the firing pin spring, but I'll know which ammo works.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I prefer my carry guns to go 500 rounds without issue, although lower round count for small 380s is ok. But very small guns are working at a disadvantage, and sometimes can have a bit of initial faults. A few issues in the beginning may be ok, if they go right away. But, a really dry (and pocket linty or dirty) small 380 can hiccup even when broken in.

Maybe clean the firing pin channel too? Sometimes that glitter stuff gets in there too. Or dried oil from the factory.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Re: ''...cleaned it, I noticed it was very dry. I shoot almost all my guns straight from the box to see how they operate immediately. This gun didn't perform...''

What I've seen from the Taurus brand across the board. They over grease or oil them, due to shipping. Is your firing pin channel clear of oil or debris.

Right out of the box, I advocate reading the boring yes-I-know-all-that manual, AND, field strip and inspect the particular gun. Knowing what a guns stripped components look like as-new is helpful in case of a potential malfunction, at which time I would advocate another field strip and compare how the individual components look to...original reference strip. Such as, rub mark on barrel vs. not in original strip, any metal shavings. No way to diagnose a problem if someone doesn't have a baseline to reference...

Yes I know, most everyone already knows to do this but right now there are a record # of new gun owners, who are lacking info and searching website for same. Free info. There it is.

As far as ammo to function the gun recommendations? I suggest hot and reliable, and a big caveat now, available. That ammo is IMHO Fiocchi :) , break in #s already cited are more than adequate.

Have fun :idea:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I *always* field strip, clean, and properly lubricate new guns before firing them. Many manufacturers use a preservative that is not very good at lubrication. It's not fair to judge the firearm if it has failures based on that.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!