Vance Outdoors Closing Stores for a Rest Break?????

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

High Power

Vance Outdoors Closing Stores for a Rest Break?????

Post by High Power »

I stopped by Vance's in Obetz on the way home from work. They closed at 3:00 PM. The store manager stated that the reason they closed early was that the employees were tired and needed a break.

Okay, that's conceivable. However, when you go to their website, none of the firearms have prices on them. If you look at some of the other merchandise on their website, you will see nothing is priced.

Now I don't want to speculate or point fingers but it certainly appears that they closed the store with the excuse of giving the employees a rest so they could increase the prices on their merchandise.

Is there something that I don't know?

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
High Power

Re: Vance Outdoors Closing Stores for a Rest Break?????

Post by High Power »

Update: Their website says they will be closed until March 30th.

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/covid19/
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
machinegunkelly

Post by machinegunkelly »

All
Just got an email that Fin Feather and Fur is closing for a while also.
MGK
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Has Vance ever had prices on their website? Most gun stores I know don't do a computerized inventory and just do prices on the guns in the stores themselves. That way they can increase and decrease the price with the market. Not necessarily cause their is a rush on guns but their distributors may increase prices so they increase as well.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
High Power

Post by High Power »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Has Vance ever had prices on their website? Most gun stores I know don't do a computerized inventory and just do prices on the guns in the stores themselves. That way they can increase and decrease the price with the market. Not necessarily cause their is a rush on guns but their distributors may increase prices so they increase as well.
Vance's has always had prices on their website.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

It’s probably not because they are tired, they don’t want to show up and get coronavirus.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
High Power

Post by High Power »

Mr. Glock wrote:It’s probably not because they are tired, they don’t want to show up and get coronavirus.
That's possible but why would they remove the prices from their merchandise?
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

High Power wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:It’s probably not because they are tired, they don’t want to show up and get coronavirus.
Depends on what they paid for current inventory, vs. what the replacement costs are .
That and they need to sort out what they still have against what is advertised.
This is the time of year when many manufacturers raise prices. Some Rugers jumped considerably.
This panic buying has cleaned out a lot of inventory and it has to be replaced. Possibly at higher prices.
machinegunkelly

Post by machinegunkelly »

Sportsmanship Den in Shelby, also announced closing.
All 3 have about the same statement.
Wonder if they all have the same lawyers or insurance companies ?
MGK
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

machinegunkelly wrote:Sportsmanship Den in Shelby, also announced closing.
All 3 have about the same statement.
Wonder if they all have the same lawyers or insurance companies ?
MGK
All I can say is I work for one of those companies.
Everyone is burnt out.
The phones have been relentless, and we catch all sorts of flak for not being able to answer, or because we run out of something that has been in the sale flyer for a full month. We did not create this panic.
Inventory has not been processed and stacked all over the place, making it hard to get to the floor for customers. Some items are in the store, but we don't know it as it is still on a skid. Special orders for customers just sit, no time to deal with it.
The doors might not be open to the public, but I can pretty much guess it will take 2 weeks for any of us to get reorganized.
We also DO NOT WANT THIS VIRUS !
welshj

Post by welshj »

Lead shed in wauseon closing as well.

In yesterday, they had ten or more people standing outside.
Doors locked, they opened to let people out, and let people in.
Limiting to six people max in store at a time.

Getting rough out there...
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
bakes
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by bakes »

Possible stuff on prices...

I drove by Obetz and Cleveland Avenue locations on different days (just to kill time) - Lines out the door were long 50-80 @ Obetz/100 on Cleveland Ave.

The website said no orders were being taken by phone/website due to demands.

I called one day and the machine said they were not taking phone calls because all staff were busy with increased sales.

I assume they possibly have almost no inventory in the handgun/self defense long gun categories and I assume ammo is gone.

I bet the workers are worn out.

Black Wing had been busy but wasn't crazy - They have increased in sales for a couple weeks. I saw some bulk ammo buying while I was there but nothing too bad.
xxxamishxxx

Post by xxxamishxxx »

High Power wrote:
I stopped in a week ago on a Monday and it was crazy. That was the night they shut the doors at 5 and no one else in.

I came home to look online and if you click on the flyer it will take you to the product and all the ammo was showing up more expensive than what was one the flyer.

I cant wait to see what the April flyer will have..

I ended up ordering another AR and a shotgun, both way less than listed at Vances even with paying for the transfer Im still almost 100 bucks ahead on price. just have to wait a week to pick up
Accurate Concepts Training, LLC
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Punishers Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club
High Power

Post by High Power »

It looks like they are open for online ordering and pickup at the store with a reservation for 30 minute time period. They also have the pricing back on their merchandise on the website. From what I could see, it didn't look like there was any price-gouging.

Looks like Vance's is doing the right thing by its customers.

https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/covid19/
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

They had a ad in the Columbus Dispatch. Had me wondering if it was an old ad that could not be canceled or whether they were open again.