AR build question

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: AR build question

Post by Mustang380gal »

Thanks for the heads-up, Werz!

I had Ted read your warning.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
welshj

Re: AR build question

Post by welshj »

Werz wrote:
A word of caution from personal experience. A self-contained custom trigger group is nice. However, the trigger spring in the GI trigger group not only functions for trigger pressure and reset; it also maintains pressure against the trigger pin. Without that pressure, the trigger pin can start walking after successive shots. If one end drops inside the lower receiver, and you fail to notice, you can get a double tap before the sear engages, and that will send a shiver up your spine.

I recommend a fairly cheap investment in anti-walk hammer and trigger pins for self-contained trigger groups.
That's one thing I really liked about the timney triggers-
They have a set of Allen set screws down in the bottom of the trigger mechanisms.
With a supplied- extra long Allen key... you turn these screws down into, and against the bottom of the trigger well. This applies pressure upwards on the trigger pins locking them into place keeping them from walking and falling out.
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)