Brace on short 12 gauge fireram?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Glock Rock

Brace on short 12 gauge fireram?

Post by Glock Rock »

Something like this legal in Ohio? https://suarezinternational.com/suarez- ... brace-kit/

Is this akin to putting an arm brace on a AR15 pistol?

Thank for any opinions.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Brace on short 12 gauge fireram?

Post by JustaShooter »

If the firearm is over 26", legal at the Federal level and not regulated under the NFA, then it is not considered "dangerous ordnance" and is legal to possess in Ohio as of March 28th this year. See ORC 2923.11
(L) "Dangerous ordnance" does not include any of the following:
(7) Any firearm with an overall length of at least twenty-six inches that is approved for sale by the federal bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives under the "Gun Control Act of 1968," 82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 921 (a)(3), but that is found by the bureau not to be regulated under the "National Firearms Act," 68A Stat. 725 (1934), 26 U.S.C. 5845 (a).
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

I know possession of the bird's head grip shotgun that is OAL > 26" is perfectly legal in Ohio, but can you put an arm brace on one with a pistol grip without manufacturing a Form 1 NFA firearm??
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I don't know how to answer your question any more clearly than I already have. If it is over 26" long, and legal at the Federal level, and not regulated under the NFA, then it is legal in Ohio.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Ahhhh now I see the crux of my confusing question. how about this question:

Can putting a folding brace, stock, or arm brace on a non-NFA firearm turn the non-NFA firearm into a NFA regulated firearm?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I believe the answer in this case is that adding the stock does not turn it into an NFA-regulated item. From their website:
It is an arm brace and not a stock and therefore legal anywhere a Tac-14 is legal (verify local laws).
From that, I take it that it is not subject to the NFA - and since Ohio law defers to Federal law in this case, the admonition to "verify local laws" is satisfied. If this firearm and configuration were something I desired, I'd not hesitate to add one to my safe.
NRA Life Member