Unknown tool used to remove rust on blued guns.

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Frushat

Unknown tool used to remove rust on blued guns.

Post by Frushat »

I had to use some steel wool last night to remove some surface rust on the outside of my SR9 barrel. I forgot to wipe it down after I handled it... So now the barrel has a bunch of scratches on it. but I'm not to worried it happens.

It got me thinking about a smith I saw using some sort of metal 'thing' to remove surface rust and that brownish hue from a blued shotgun. I looked like one of those curly things you put on top of a present all the curls were different sizes and it didn't seem to harm the bluing at all. He said it was also coated in some sort of chemical. I asked him where I could get one and he said 'trade secret.'

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am going to buy some brass brushes in case something like this happens again. I figured I would get one of these if I could find it.

Thanks
https://rustconverters.net/drx-rust-rem ... te-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Unknown tool used to remove rust on blued guns.

Post by Cruiser »

Not aware of a tool to remove rust! But I won't use anything except bronze wool and transmission oil to remove minor rust.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

Here is a current post off Gunboards on using ultrasonics to remove rust.
Not a simple as what you are looking for, but there may be something useful in there.
https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... usty-parts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I had to use some steel wool last night to remove some surface rust on the outside of my SR9 barrel. I forgot to wipe it down after I handled it... So now the barrel has a bunch of scratches on it.
1st things 1st, welcome :D to the forums!!!

What level steel wool did you use to produce even minor scratches? I've always used 0000 size, little to no pressure, and what ever gun oil I had handy or Hoppes, etc. No marks.

Sorry do not know of the mystery product you described but sounds kinda like soft copper to me (or bronze as posted by Cruiser). FYI the chore boy copper wool is a fine barrel bore lead scrubber, etc. A link to a good picture is included
https://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copper ... 83&sr=8-11

Again, welcome :D :!:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Cruiser wrote:Not aware of a tool to remove rust! But I won't use anything except bronze wool and transmission oil to remove minor rust.
I have used a copper chore boy an CLP with good results.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

My gunsmith recommended 0000 Steel wool and Clenzoil for removing surface rust. I found it to work very well and not leave any marks.

I've also heard of people using old copper pennies pre 1982 (not the new copper washed zinc ones) and oil to remove rust from guns.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

This here is probably what you're looking for...

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/home/t ... -cleaning/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have one. Works swell.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Thinking back corrosion chemistry class in Naval Nuclear Power school I seem to remember that metal oxides (rust) are anhydrous bases and can be dissolved with an acid.
I would try a weak acid such as the phosphoric acid in Coca Cola or other similar soft drinks on some other rusty item first but I have seen it used to clean up rusty hand tools.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

AlanM wrote:Thinking back corrosion chemistry class in Naval Nuclear Power school I seem to remember that metal oxides (rust) are anhydrous bases and can be dissolved with an acid.
I would try a weak acid such as the phosphoric acid in Coca Cola or other similar soft drinks on some other rusty item first but I have seen it used to clean up rusty hand tools.
Coke..ok, Coca-Cola...is good for cleaning up flat rust on cast iron cookware. When I use the highly scientific term Flat Rust, that is opposed to Flaky Rust. Cast iron exposed to high temperature flame like a hot campfire gets Flat Rust. It takes about a week or so in the Coke bath. The cast iron finish looks very good, and is ready for seasoning after a quick rinse and dry.

Not sure how that applies to firearms and polished bluing though, just figured I'd elaborate on Alan's statement.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

FLITZ is what I use, no detrimental effect on the bluing. Flitz, cotton cloth & elbow grease.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788