Ruger Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39 - Thoughts?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Ruger Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39 - Thoughts?

Post by Mr. Glock »

Seems like a neat rifle for shorter ranges, and ammo is cheap. Anyone have any trigger-time and thoughts?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Brian D.

Re: Ruger Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39 - Thoughts?

Post by Brian D. »

What is their accuracy at 100 yards purported to be these days? Only one I ever fired was when they first came out. Literally minute-of-garbage-can-lid at 50 yards. Okay, a little better than that, but I lost interest real quick.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Had a buddy who had one about a decade ago. He loaned it to a friend (not me) who shot it with corrosive surplus ammo with ruined barrel as result. They aren't comm block chrome lined.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I see there is confusion with my OP. I’m referring to the current Ranch Rifle bolt action (based on the American rifle with shorter barrel), not the Mini-30 (with IIRC had a ranch rifle version with scope mounts).

https://www.ruger.com/products/american ... 16976.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: I tried to update OP to say bolt action but was unable to do so.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Can't help you with the bolt gun. Probably lots of info available on gun forums though.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I know nothing about it. Thus, in the spirit of gun forums, I will comment!!! :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

If you have a fantastic, phenomenal platform... the very best way you could possibly get the worst performance out of it is to buy the cheapest craptastic ammo offered. Lacquered, steel case Chi-Com junk would fit that bill. If you had a lousy platform, the best ammo made or the most pain-stakingly crafted handloads wouldn't make a gem out of it.

So I'm not sure where the market is for a decent (or better!) bolt action rifle chambered in 7.62x39 is, but that's never been a practical matter in guns. The only practical matter is "can we sell this?"

With that said, if I were shopping for a 7.62x39 chambered bolt action rifle, I'd be looking at the one offered by CZ. If it isn't twice the price of what Ruger is offering, I'm betting blind that it's a better rifle and better way to go. If it is twice the price of the Ruger (or more) than perhaps the Ruger is the better answer.

But alas, I'd be handloading for it. I don't buy Chi-com trash anything, but at the top of the list of Chi-Com trash that I don't buy is ammo.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I do not have one but :-)......

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles ... fle-ranch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 300 BO version shoots decent, cannot see why the 7.62x39 would not as well. Comes with a threaded muzzle which is nice.

Looks like the 7.62x39 shoots decent as well even with Wolf ammo.

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editori ... ch-2/83623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

The (discontinued) Youth model CZ 527 with nice walnut stock were on sale ~$450 several places online. CZ advises they have .311 bore, but ought to shoot nice with those diameter bullets.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

So I've been reading reviews. Both the CZ and Ruger seem to be solid performers, the Ruger being a lot less expensive. FWIW

That said, I enjoyed reading one review where the reviewer went on and on about the magazine design being a dumb idea. When the gun is empty, the bolt locks back due to a lip on the follower, kind of like old Mauser bolt actions. This guy ranted about how dumb this was, why would Ruger do this etc etc. What he didn't seem to do was any research. It takes Mini-30 magazines. They weren't designed for a bolt action. Duh

Even that said, I don't see why having a bolt action lock open on last round fired is a bad thing? Maybe I'm just used to mil-surps, but this is hardly a deal breaker. I even kind of like the idea.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

The one down side is loading single rounds from the bench. You would have to pop them into the magazine or push down on the follower to allow the bolt to close ??

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Silent-Wolf-Shop

Post by Silent-Wolf-Shop »

Actually my fav weapon ngl..