The popularity of .40 S&W keeps downsliding

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

The popularity of .40 S&W keeps downsliding

Post by Brian D. »

I know that isn't a news flash, but man it's amazing what guns you can buy in .40 caliber on the cheap now. When you can find any.

Not all retailers seem to know this, or they're in deep denial, which is key to going out of business sooner or later.

Just for fun, and to keep my post short, I'll let the rest of you list the bargain barn .40 S&W deals you've seen/jumped in on.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: The popularity of .40 S&W keeps downsliding

Post by Mr. Glock »

Now is the time to be buying “The Forty” If you don’t like the snap, go with the 180s. Deals aplenty.

Want to buy a new gun, but don’t have the scratch? Buy the used forty..goes a long, long way to making up ammo cost difference for the average shooter (a few hundred rounds per year).

Don’t worry, in 20 years, the forty will be the bees knees again.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
John 447

Post by John 447 »

I'm keeping my EDC forty.

In a perfect world, I would like to see a S&W revolver in a rimmed 10 magnum class cartridge hit the market. Something with a bit more horsepower than the 686, my current favorite revolver.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

John 447 wrote:I'm keeping my EDC forty.

In a perfect world, I would like to see a S&W revolver in a rimmed 10 magnum class cartridge hit the market. Something with a bit more horsepower than the 686, my current favorite revolver.
The 610 has been re-introduced, so your wish has been granted. Four or six inch barrel.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
John 447

Post by John 447 »

Mr. Glock wrote:The 610 has been re-introduced, so your wish has been granted. Four or six inch barrel.
Not quite, the S&W 610 will not chamber a 10mm Magnum which like the .40 S&W and the 10mm Auto is rimless.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Guys, I'm not mad or anything, but you're drifting the intent of this thread. Before long, it'll be about a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. :mrgreen:

Let's try to drag this back to the .40S&W decline.

********************************************************************************
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.
hey just what you see pal!

Back on topic, I've seen tons of great deals on .40s, especially used police duty guns, but have passed on them all. I just don't have any desire for one myself.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

The only .40 that I have shot that I actually liked was a SIG 229 DAO.
The recoil impulse wasn't bad probably due the fact that it's a 30 oz handgun.

CDNN has a few of those hmm...
BuckJM53

Post by BuckJM53 »

During the process of culling the herd in recent years, I was fortunate to re-home the few 40's I had while demand was still strong and for some nice coin. It appears a good decision in retrospect (even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn :)).
"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Coffee to left of keyboard
Fo'ty to the right

Still popular, here :)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Auctions I've been to, the polymer 40 low end guns (Smith sigmas, taurus, etc) are lucky to break a C-Note. Saw a really nice Star Firestar with Starvel finish in 40 not break a buck fifty. Tempted, but I don't do 40.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

evan price wrote:Auctions I've been to, the polymer 40 low end guns (Smith sigmas, taurus, etc) are lucky to break a C-Note. Saw a really nice Star Firestar with Starvel finish in 40 not break a buck fifty. Tempted, but I don't do 40.
I'd kind of like to have a 357 Sig, so a 40 is a good starting point for that :-), and many 9x19 conversion barrels are made too.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Victim/Beneficiary of my own thread this morning. :wink:

Bought a low miles used Glock model 22 for $325. It's the RTF-2* version of Gen3. Grip frame plug and model 34/35 extended slide release were already on it, saving me $20-ish to do that myself. Will see how it shoots before putting money into better sights. Either way, it was a decent deal.

* The RTF-1 and -2 were attempts to make the guns a little more streamlined/rounded off, with more subtle finger grooves and "checkering", if you will. They did those right before starting the Gen4 Glocks.

tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

I never see these super deals on .40s that many on talk about on forums. I think the .40 is a great round with a lot of versatility with different loads. I always liked the HST in 165 or 180. Many years ago people didn’t mind a recoil on good performing SD load in their carry guns but now with all the gun games on paper, polymer light weight guns, and this population of snowflakes, people have moved to lighter calibers.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

tracker1 wrote:I never see these super deals on .40s that many on talk about on forums.
As my grandfather advised me, both literally and figuratively a few times, cast your net a little wider. :)

Keep your eyes/ears open, and carry some greenbacks in your wallet, whenever possible.