The popularity of .40 S&W keeps downsliding

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: The popularity of .40 S&W keeps downsliding

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Most of the deals I see on line, Buds CDNN Centerfire systems etc.
Like this one:
https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-636 ... -case.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$250 for M&P not a bad price.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Whirlwind06 wrote:Most of the deals I see on line, Buds CDNN Centerfire systems etc.
Like this one:
https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-636 ... -case.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$250 for M&P not a bad price.
Yeah, but of course you'd have to pay for transfer/shipping to Ohio. AIM Surplus is Ohio's answer to Bud's and Centerfire. AIM has bargain barn .40 gun deals sometimes too.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

The Fin has the new SW M&P Compact 2.0 (ie Glock 23 size) in 40 for $299. That’s Shield 1.0 or M&P 22 money.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TenTwelve

Post by TenTwelve »

I'll hang on to my Glock 22. I considered selling it, but I just bought a 9mm barrel for it and said f-it. lol
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

I believe that Law enforcement drives much of the citizen market. In the past 4 years (or so) the FBI and other LE buyers have " rediscovered" the 9x19mm, because of improved hollow point design.

Add in what we already know: low recoil, and lower cost for ammo.

I think COST is the main issue.

In handguns I'm a big bore fan. When 9x19mm hollow points improved...the same tech was used to improve .40S&W and .45 ACP, and others.

When I can't carry a .45ACP belt gun, I carry a Glock 27, in .40S&W, as a pocket gun.

I'll never sell my .40. Performance is more important to me than saving a few cents per shot.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I recently bought this particular .40cal and I was astonished and over the moon that I was able to get it. I spent about four times what most folks spend on a handgun and I know for sure that I got a great buy, under market.

There exists absolutely no part of me, not even a single quark, that is unhappy about it being a “forty”, or for our seasoned gun cranks... “I am the only one, professional enough, that I know of, to carry this Glock Fo-Tay!”

(except it sure as hell ain’t a Glock)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Kind of stumped, and too lazy for a search: What model is that, Sevens?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Not the easiest thing to search, honestly! That is a Performance Center 4006 Limited, a Lew Horton exclusive, one of only 130 ever made. This one was built in 1997.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Although I actually bought it in very late 2018, this one has been my favorite added shooter over the 2019 calendar year:

Wow, another .40cal?! Yes! And funny enough, they only offered this model in two different chamberings and the 9mm version is likely far more popular. I specifically targeted the .40cal version as the one I wanted to own!

This is the recently discontinued CZ Tactical Sport. Or more accurately... they recently moved to the Tac Sport Orange model which has numerous upgrades from this model which is no longer produced. I added the G10 grips, which I find to be a fantastic upgrade. They are made by Lok Grips.

If you are the kind of shooter that HATES a .40cal pistol, I would venture a guess and suggest that you would hate this one LESS than most all others. :D
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

With the focus on JHP development on 9mm vs any other service caliber, cost per shot/recoil is reduced, terminal ballistics/round count per mag is increased. It's now on par with .40/.45 with the exception of some intermediated barriers, and I don't really see how shooting through a windshield would really come into my context (I do for a highway patrol officer though).

So really, outside of needing to get major scoring for some games, or if the price really freaking drops, I just don't see it's benefit for me anymore.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

As it turns out, I don’t get in to many gunfights! :D But I carry a 9mm concealed. My .40cal pistols are a rolling riot on range days.

I have definitely made carrying every single say since October 2008 a part of my life, no doubt whatsoever. But it’s not how or why I got in to shooting 30 years ago and thank goodness, it’s absolutely not my focus on range days. I still love owning, collecting and shooting handguns just because I love it.

On the steel plate range, my .40cal pistols definitely drop every plate with more authority, and that’s not absolutely necessary for my needs but it is certainly noticeable.

Carry guns make up less than 4% of my guns and I hope to knock that huge number down to something more manageable going forward! :D
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Sevens wrote:As it turns out, I don’t get in to many gunfights! :D But I carry a 9mm concealed. My .40cal pistols are a rolling riot on range days.

I have definitely made carrying every single say since October 2008 a part of my life, no doubt whatsoever. But it’s not how or why I got in to shooting 30 years ago and thank goodness, it’s absolutely not my focus on range days. I still love owning, collecting and shooting handguns just because I love it.

On the steel plate range, my .40cal pistols definitely drop every plate with more authority, and that’s not absolutely necessary for my needs but it is certainly noticeable.

Carry guns make up less than 4% of my guns and I hope to knock that huge number down to something more manageable going forward! :D

Nothing wrong with any of that or you context: just putting out there why .40 is no longer popular. The cost part is a big deal for a lot of law enforcement agencies, along with the push to make the cheapest round possible meet or exceed standardized ballistics for terminal wounding. A lot of people got a clue when their local PD, and most PD's around them, switched from .40 to 9mm, and that's fine, and fine if you like .40. The rational for this switch for non-cops is the old adage of 'if my PD carries this, I should carry this too'.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Yes yes and agree, yes! But the premise of this discussion is that because of ^^^^^^^ we have a used gun market that makes for some fantastic deals on .40cal pistols for folks who LOVE pistols and also really enjoy great deals on good guns. All of that is the arena that I play around in. :thumbs up: