Vances, do they accept CCW in lieu of NICS ?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Vances, do they accept CCW in lieu of NICS ?

Post by willbird »

I might be driving down to buy a gun. Rarely if ever get a dealy on NICS, but CHL is simpler and quicker, which way do they do it ??

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Vances, do they accept CCW in lieu of NICS ?

Post by JustaShooter »

My understanding is that they do not allow using a CHL in lieu of the NICS check.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

I given them my CHL with my ODL and they would give it back to me and direct to a terminal for background check...
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

dustymedic wrote:I given them my CHL with my ODL and they would give it back to me and direct to a terminal for background check...

Interesting.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

dustymedic wrote:I given them my CHL with my ODL and they would give it back to me and direct to a terminal for background check...
I don't see the relevance to the question--

Every FFL/gun store requires that you fill out a 4473. And every FFL requires a look at a current Govt issued form of ID, whether that be your license or your CHL. At Vance's, there is only one way to fill out a 4473... and that is on the computer terminal. Most gun stores are going this route.

If we are guessing, then the simple guess that is most likely is hell no, Vance's won't skip a NICS check on anyone, because Vance's has zero need to make anything easier or faster, they make it a priority to protect their FFL and that means every "i" dotted, every "t" crossed.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Sevens wrote:
dustymedic wrote: If we are guessing, then the simple guess that is most likely is hell no, Vance's won't skip a NICS check on anyone, because Vance's has zero need to make anything easier or faster, they make it a priority to protect their FFL and that means every "i" dotted, every "t" crossed.
Ain't that the truth. Last time I bought a gun there (probably going on 7ish years) they still did paper. I had to refill the form out three times because I didn't "spell" items out. They said I must put Drive and not DR. I must put Ohio and not OH. And they didn't like OHIO on the form since I didn't do capital on other aspects. I normally would have said screw it and walked out, but they had the best deal on the gun at that time. Vance = Bud's of Ohio.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Sevens wrote:

Every FFL/gun store requires that you fill out a 4473. And every FFL requires a look at a current Govt issued form of ID, whether that be your license or your CHL. At Vance's, there is only one way to fill out a 4473... and that is on the computer terminal. Most gun stores are going this route.

If we are guessing, then the simple guess that is most likely is hell no, Vance's won't skip a NICS check on anyone, because Vance's has zero need to make anything easier or faster, they make it a priority to protect their FFL and that means every "i" dotted, every "t" crossed.
Honestly ONLY taking CCW and not using NICS at all COULD be a "better" background check than the other way around. Plenty of folks who cannot get CCW can buy guns and pass a NICS check. Seeing both Ohio DL and Ohio CHL is also asking to see TWO matching govt issued photo ID instead of just one.

Bill
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

True but nothing says that one has remained squeaky clean since receiving their CHL.
willbird wrote:
Sevens wrote:

Honestly ONLY taking CCW and not using NICS at all COULD be a "better" background check than the other way around. Plenty of folks who cannot get CCW can buy guns and pass a NICS check. Seeing both Ohio DL and Ohio CHL is also asking to see TWO matching govt issued photo ID instead of just one.

Bill
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

willbird wrote:
Sevens wrote:

Bill
The problem is the NICS on your CHL is only run every five years when you renew. In that five years you could have been arrested for DV, drug trafficking, diagnosed mentally defective, etc. However, the county that issued the CHL not be notified and therefore not request your card back. At least doing a NICS the day of the gun purchase will check for all those updates which is why some stories prefer not to accept them.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

WY_Not wrote:True but nothing says that one has remained squeaky clean since receiving their CHL.
It was my understanding that it is a "live" system...if a person with a CHL has an issue there is some process where the "authorities" are notified ??

Bill
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

In theory. Lapses have been known to occur. Why risk your FFL?
willbird wrote:
WY_Not wrote:True but nothing says that one has remained squeaky clean since receiving their CHL.
It was my understanding that it is a "live" system...if a person with a CHL has an issue there is some process where the "authorities" are notified ??

Bill
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

willbird wrote:

Bill
Hahaha, there isn't. And I think even the new AG recently admitted that it's not live. I read some article where he stated he can't say how many valid CHLs there are because the data is kept by each county in their own system and entered in to LEADS only a notification for law enforcement. There isn't a "spreadsheet" or anything they can pull back from LEADS to get the number that say "Valid" in the status field.

The process though is....

You have a CHL issued by Franklin County. You get arrested in Hamilton County for Domestic Violence. Hamilton County is suppose to confiscate your CHL, mail it to Franklin County, and at the same time send them an administrative message through LEADS of such arrest so Frankly County can suspend your CHL. What do you think happens in the smaller counties or Ohio or ones that are too large and just run people through. What if you don't have your CHL on you at the time of arrest? Most jails don't run someone through LEADS to find out if they have a CHL or anything outstanding in LEADS until they get ready to release the person.

But let's go further. What happens if you are arrested in Boone County Kentucky? Do they have to confiscate your CHL and notify Frankly county? Remember, they don't have to comply with Ohio law, so what does their law state they have to do with an out of state CHL?

And don't forget, you have the human aspect in all of that and a jail on a Friday night is usually busier than say Tuesday afternoon. So they may miss something.

If the system was live, it would work much better. It would see you were arrested in Hamilton County when you got fingerprinted, send a notification to Franklin county of such, and automatically suspend it in LEADS. Then again, you get arrested for a DUI, are put under an Administrative License Suspension, and departments have to mail a paper form to the Ohio BMV so they can suspend your license (even though the suspension is immediate when you are handed your copy of the paper.)

willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I did a little local shopping and it looks like I can spend about $50 more and buy local without having to drive from the NW coast of Ohio down to Columbus :-).

Bill
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Exactly why my Sheriff does a complete background check for CHL renewals that takes up to ten days. No same day Renewals in Mercer County!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Looks like Vance's will ship it to an FFL closer to the NW coast of Ohio for $20 or so.

Bill