Contemplating getting into .308

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Contemplating getting into .308

Post by Morne »

I've resisted the pull of a .308 WIN rifle for a long time. The urge is getting strong, though.

I like bullpups but being left-eye dominant that's tough. The Kel-Tec RFB seems to be a solution. Since it uses FAL mags, which are plentiful, that seems reasonable.

Should I jump? Should I get an RFB and/or a FAL? If so, any specifics to shop for? If not, what other options are better?
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Contemplating getting into .308

Post by Mr. Glock »

S&W M&P-10
Affordable - for an AR-10
Reliable - Can be an issue with Keltec or a junky FAL
Accurate - Far more accurate than a FAL and probably also the Keltec (no personal experience)
Easy to mount optics vs FAL (most of them except some pic rail models- but then you have a stock height issue)

Twist rate favors heavier bullets (168-175) for best accuracy, but even 150s more accurate than FAL.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Delta-3

Post by Delta-3 »

I concur with Mr. Glock on the AR 10. I will add that if you can wait a bit longer, IWI is very close to coming out with a .308 (7.62) version of the X95 bullpup. that would fill your need for both the rifle & caliber.
Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

The Palmetto State Armory AR-10 style rifle works great and was practically a steal when it was on sale.
upper and lower purchased separately and you can still hit $650.00 or less depending on your choices. or spend a little more and get a 2 stage trigger, etc.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

I agree on the PSA for price and warranty. Plus parts interchange is pretty good if you want to start building more uppers.

As far as cost per round one should take a long hard look at 6.5 Creedmore if you do not already have any 308 dies, brass, projo, etc.

Also FWIW the 224 Valkrie lets you stick with AR15 lowers and offers similar downrange wind drift and bullet drop numbers to the 6.5 Creemore stuff with cheaper projo than the 6.5 or 308 projo.

All of that said I bit on a PSA complete lower when they were on sale, then built up a 308 upper from parts....the 308 will typically end up the cheapest big frame upper to build. The CHF barrel uppers are considered to be the "best" but that comes at a price premium :-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

FWIW I've been reading that the 224 Valkarie is not all it was touted to be in terms of barrel twists vs downrange ballistics. I have no personal experience, and am not particularly interested in the topic, but wanted to mention so that anyone can do their own research first.

That said, I have been converted to the 6.5 CM cult. I've always loved 6.5s, but resisted the 6.5 CM until I got a steal on a Savage when they were clearing them out in late 2017.

Still, 308 is fun too.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

AR10 platform would be a solid option. If you plan to go the FAL route I can speak highly of DS arms. They make several variations. They also sell a very well built cover that replaces your dust cover and allows you to mount optics.
PTR would be another option. They make the HK G3 clone. M1a is also another option but pricy
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

If you'd be up to considering a bolt action, Ruger makes their Scout Rifle in left handed versions. Very happy with mine. Nice alternative at times to the AR and Tavor.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Delta-3

Post by Delta-3 »

That said, I have been converted to the 6.5 CM cult.
As have I. Fantastic round & this is coming from a 40+ years of being a die hard .308 guy.
I will also concur with dl1911 on the Ruger scout rifle. I have one in .308 and 6.5CM. Both are excellent rifles.
Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
pkd

Post by pkd »

Morne wrote:I like bullpups
DesertTech chambers most of their bullpups in .308, including the MDR and the SRS-A1.

However, at that price point, I would eschew any bullpup novelty and just get a SCAR 17S.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Mr. Glock wrote:FWIW I've been reading that the 224 Valkarie is not all it was touted to be in terms of barrel twists vs downrange ballistics. I have no personal experience, and am not particularly interested in the topic, but wanted to mention so that anyone can do their own research first.

That said, I have been converted to the 6.5 CM cult. I've always loved 6.5s, but resisted the 6.5 CM until I got a steal on a Savage when they were clearing them out in late 2017.

Still, 308 is fun too.
The 6.5 Creedmore is pretty much the 6.5x55 but configured to fit into a MSR :-). Everything old is new again :-). Also arguably it is just a 260 rem again reworked a little to fit into the MSR :-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

willbird wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:FWIW I've been reading that the 224 Valkarie is not all it was touted to be in terms of barrel twists vs downrange ballistics. I have no personal experience, and am not particularly interested in the topic, but wanted to mention so that anyone can do their own research first.

Still, 308 is fun too.
The 6.5 Creedmore is pretty much the 6.5x55 but configured to fit into a MSR :-). Everything old is new again :-). Also arguably it is just a 260 rem again reworked a little to fit into the MSR :-).

Bill

Yes and No. The 6.5x55 Swede is pre-SAMMI, so chamber and cartridge dimensions vary a bit over the years (both between countries and manufacturers). And, being a European military round, American ammo makers tend to download the Swede in the same way they do the 7x57, so you really are locked in to Norma or other high-end ammo for the long range game. So, unless you handload and can tailor your rounds to your gun, it is a much harder round to work with in the US than off-the-shelf 260 Rem and 6.5 CM. If you handoad, then why not use one of the boutique 6.5 rounds for more velocity instead?

The big advantage of the 6.5CM is the all new guns (only about a decade old) made on really precise modern tooling to the same spec...so you start out of the gate with those advantages (which would also apply to the 260Rem, but that is pretty dead and pricey ammo). I want to shoot accessible, cheap-ish match ammo, not search for ammo or play around at the reloading bench. :mrgreen: So, a practical difference.

You are correct, however, that they are all functionally equivalent and do the same job. I did play around with the idea of building a 6.5 Swede bolt gun with a Shillen or similar high-end barrel on a Savage action (30-06 or 270 is a fit) a number of years ago...the 6.5 CM saved me the trouble, Well, that and I was a cool guy 308 shooter at the time too.
Tanker_62

Post by Tanker_62 »

My brother has a PSA AR-10, he ran thousands of rounds through it and is yet to notice any actual issue with the rifle.
I've heard great things about the PTR-91 as well (it's a G3 clone), plus military surplus magazines are dirt cheap, and you can find both steel or aluminium ones if you want to prioritise durability or weight.
mbott

Post by mbott »

Cabelas has the DPMS GII Recon on sale: https://www.cabelas.com/product/DPMS-G- ... s?slotId=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, this is going to cost me a bit more than the sale price as I've decided to add a can. :)

--
Mike
The fight will not be the way you want it to be. The fight will be the way it is. You must be flexible enough to adapt. -- Unknown
NRA Benefactor Life & Golden Eagle Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle and Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
Law Enforcement Sales, Retired
Caleb4387

Post by Caleb4387 »

Personally if i go 308 im probably going with an M1A...if I get into an AR10 someday it will be a 45 raptor....just because