Good. 45 Colt Load/Source?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Good. 45 Colt Load/Source?

Post by deanimator »

Since I've got the Cimarron coming and don't have reloading gear or components for. 45 Colt yet, does anybody have any recommendations for an affordable standard velocity ~255gr. factory load and a good source, local to NE Ohio or online?
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Good. 45 Colt Load/Source?

Post by Sevens »

Ugh, .45 Colt factory ammo is one of those where sales volume isn't high enough to bring the costs down, so I would be prepared for some UGLY prices on this particular chambering for factory ammo.

As I did in the other thread, I'll recommend three online sources that should be in everyone's toolkit:

1) SG Ammo, they bill themselves as a small, family run business out of Oklahoma, I've only dealt with them a few times but I've been pleased with their service and their reputation out in the forums is extremely good.

2) Target Sports USA, great prices and decent service, I have ordered from them more often. They have a "premium membership" that costs nearly a hundred bucks but if you buy ammo often (rather than handload) I believe you will fail to beat or even match the prices they offer with this membership. And free shipping with the membership. It's not for everyone (I certainly don't have or need it) but for those who don't roll their own but shoot a lot, I can't see them being undercut.

3) Outdoor Limited... who I have bought from the most over the past few years. Free shipping on case quantities and fantastic prices. I have never experienced even a slight bobble in their service. In other countries, the amount of rimfire ammo I have bought from these guys would made the 5, 6, 10 and 11 o'clock news as a national panic. I've recommended Outdoor Limited to numerous friends and over a half dozen have tried them and been very pleased.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I bought a box off the shelf at Point Blank in Mentor not too long ago as a gift. if I recall it was over $30.00 for a box.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/45-colt/-handgun-255grains-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and if you are not locked on the 255 grain..

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/45-colt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

This is the real reason I started reloading, for wheel guns. Commercial loadings in 45 Colt leave a lot to be desired, so I can now roll my own safely and cost-effectively. I don’t aim to max out loads, but it is nice to make a 44 Mag 240 gr at, say 900 fps for general shooting. Or, a 45 Colt that is faster than the 600 fps Cowboy loads (and affordable.) Or a light 357 Mag.

I reload for the result, not the joy of the process like Sevens. But I’m careful and the end result revitalizes shooting the wheelguns for me. i used to be able to whack out 100 rounds of commercial 44 Mag at a go with no issue, not so much anymore.

I may even have to start to carry a 9mm. Not that I’d reload for that, I have better things to do.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member