Wet suppressors - a few questions

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ArmedAviator

Wet suppressors - a few questions

Post by ArmedAviator »

I currently have a SiCo Osprey 45 and also have an AAC Ti-Rand 9M in NFA jail. Both allow to be run "wet."

Doing some research on the subject, water is great for a cheap, quick, and dirty thrill at the range. My question is more revolved around the home defense idea. Using something like water-based wire pulling gel or ultrasonic gel, it lasts for more rounds, stays put longer. Is it okay putting one of these gels in the silencer and leaving it bed-side for a number of days/weeks/months? Will it cause harm?

Additionally, what are some recommended gels to use for running suppressors wet?
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Wet suppressors - a few questions

Post by rimfireOH »

Are you concerned about first-round 'pop'?
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Not particularly. But since running a suppressor wet is quieter compared to running it dry, I'd like to keep the dBs down as much as possible should I ever have to use it indoors with no earpro.
TDwin
marca

Post by marca »

I think the goop (wire pulling gel, etc.) will dry out and ultimately gum up the suppressor. I also think once you try the suppressor indoors, you will not feel the need to go for the last dB of suppression. I have shot my 45 TI-rant in the basement and I think it's way better than no suppressor. I wouldn't put the goop in long term.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

I don't think it will cause harm to a titanium suppressor. Maybe a stainless one (depending on the alloy).

But I don't think your gel will stay put as much as you're hoping for that long. I suspect you'll see some leak into the barrel, too.

The Osprey is a good can and you'll see some significant reduction there by itself. Try out some subsonic ammo and you'll hear even more (reduction).

I'm finding myself agreeing with marca.

What's hosting these cans?
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

The Osprey currently switches between an XDm-45 and an XDm-9. Once the Ti-Rant 9M arrives, it will live on the XDm-9 and the Osprey on the XDm-45.

Thanks for the insight against storing it "wet." I've not shot them yet indoors (shooting range or otherwise). Thus far everything has been outdoor. I use 230gr FMJ and JHP in 45ACP and 147gr FMJ and JHP in 9mm. Both of these should be subsonic in the barrel length (about 5.3" with the threaded barrels).
TDwin
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

I'm not a doctor or a lawyer (or an expert), but between your cans and ammo, I think you'll be down into "safe" (but perhaps still uncomfortable) ranges.

The way I've done it in the past was to take everything to an outdoor range, with hearing protection, and experiment, slowly loosening my in-ear hearing protection. The math will show that the decibels will be down into the "safe" range.

NOTE: You may still not want to subject yourself to this without hearing protection. Particularly indoors.

There are some suppressor and platform and ammo combinations that are just amazing.
And there are some that are disappointing.