Spotting Scope Advice Request

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Oldfire

Spotting Scope Advice Request

Post by Oldfire »

Being relatively new to rifle shooting, my daughter and I are ready to move from the 50 yard range to a 100 yard. The eventual goal is to become accurate out to 200 yards. What size of spotting scopes have various members here used with success to spot .223 and .22 shots at these distances? I believe the scope on my .223 is a maximum of 9x magnification. It works fine at the 50 yard distance, but I cannot imagine it being that good out to 200 yards.

Thank you,

John
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Spotting Scope Advice Request

Post by JimE »

There are some decent ones out for around $200 or so.
Bushnell has a rebate out on some models, and for bench work or ground hogs, should be good.
Stay away from the low priced ones. I have one (15-60x) and it is a pain to get focused.
At 100 yards, I can see better with a high quality riflescope at 14x.
$400-700 will get you a nice Vortex , as well a couple of Leupolds.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

One of the vendors on Commercial row at Camp Perry always used to put several spotting scopes on a stand outside, that you could look through to see the differences. Not sure if they are still doing that as that event is coming up in the next couple weeks.. always nice to get an eyeful before you drop the cash, and Optics that work well are not inexpensive. A cheap spotting scope with low end glass isn't going to allow you to see .22 caliber holes at distance. Buying a bunch of low end spotting scope to try and find a good one isn't a winning option either, you'll spend as much if not more on several cheaps scopes as if you just bought a good one to begin with.

I prefer an angled eyepiece, the scope can be setup next to your shooting position so you can look between the rifle sights/scope to the spotting scope easily with a turn of the head, without having to leave your shooting position. A straight inline eyepiece does not allow you to do this easily.

High end optics are going to be Kowa, Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, Meopta these range from $1500.00 and UP, honestly I don't think there's an upper limit on optics pricing. for long ranges (500Yds+) these are pretty much your choices.

The Vortex Viper HD line should work well out to 300 yds, and maybe a bit more distance for the Vortex Razor HD line. in a midrange pricing $600-1200.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AVGRB2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Celestron has some high power spotting scopes, that may work for you, the image quality may not be superb at the highest magnification levels. A lot of people like these for high magnification with budget level pricing.

Any of the sub 100 dollar scopes you see everywhere 20-60x aren't going to allow you to see .22 cal holes at 100 yards. imho they are a complete waste of your money. Fully agree with JimE on this one, better off saving your money.

https://www.targettamers.com/guides/bes ... ification/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://targetcrazy.com/optics/spotting ... -shooting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another option might be one of the many camera systems available, depending on where you shoot.. Since you put the camera near the target and view the image on a tablet or Laptop for a modest amount of cash you can see the target hits at some really long ranges for less that you would spend on high end optics.
Bullseye camera
Targetvision

Negative is you have to put the camera downrange and if there are other people on the line you don't know.... best use is a private range or club where you know the other members.

What else can the cameras not do ? See bullet trace for long range shooting. If you have a spotter setup by you when shooting long range, with a good spotting scope they can see the bullet trace when you fire and tell where the round went. Very handy when you get out to 600 yds plus and are trying to get on target. (think Appleseed shoot where you have the option to shoot on a 600 yd range, there are several in Ohio)

The plus side of the camera systems is being to easily see your target hits, at great distances, without spending a ton of money on expensive optics.

Some of the software features that are nice. ability to mark your shots on screen, Blinking last shot, replay shot sequence, multiple shot sequences, aid in sighting in a rifle.

If there's a local bird watching group near you, see if you can hook up with them to find out what they are using.. birdwatchers get into some insane optics. they are the only ones I know that might spend more on optics than Long distance shooters. They should also have suggestions for someone just getting into the hobby looking for budget optics. or may even have some used ones to sell that they no longer use. Just another way to get your eye on some glass.

As they say, Buy once, Cry once.

best of luck. let us know what you end up with after you make your purchase, and how it's working for you.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I concur ^^ with previous. That said, those vendors at Camp Perry, which cater almost exclusively to target & competition shooters, offer Konus spotting scopes amongst others.

Mine is very clear and I can easily see .22 holes at 200 yds +. Also flies that light on the target hehe.
Expect to get away for about $230. Creedmoor had free shipping over $100 just recently and run similar sales frequently.

Another key to all that is a non wobbly scope stand. I have an older tank of a tripod all metal that was 1st purposed for VCR recorders. Can due double duty as a barbell LoL
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Face

Post by Face »

If you want the best advice in the state, and can drive to Millersburg.

http://www.timeandoptics.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amish owned and one of THE premier places in this part of the country. They sell to some of the top birders in Ohio (and the US) and will not overprice, oversell or do you wrong.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Oldfire

Post by Oldfire »

Thank you to all of you for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate it and will use your info to start my searching. Looks like some travel is in my future.

WhyNot, you mentioned the clarity of your scope but did not say what it is. Would you share that please?

Thanks again,

John
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Konus

'' KONUSPOT-80''

20-60 power, 80MM objective
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot