Winthrop Slide Holster Question

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Greenleaf4902

Winthrop Slide Holster Question

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

I purchased several holster designs. I cannot imagine one style will work 100% of the time (?)
The local CCW instructor sold me a hard plastic style which clips inside of the top of the pants and is an outside waistband holster. He informed me that you do NOT want a holster which is held in place by the belt which requires the BELT to PASS THROUGH the holster. The holster MUST be quickly removed for storage inside vehicle because folks will be watching you and steel your gun. (??) He continued to mention that if you MUST remove your belt, to remove your holster, you are advertising thugs to break into your vehicle and take your gun, or worse.

Thus my question is; why cannot I simply remove the GUN from said holster, store the gun safely and allow the holster to remain in place? A Winthrop Slide Holster is a small piece of leather. What's wrong with wearing an empty holster into a CPZ ?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Winthrop Slide Holster Question

Post by Cruiser »

He has good points about removability of the holster.
But removing the gun from the holster is fine and is what most of us do.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I substantially prefer OWB (outside waistband) holsters over IWB (inside waistband), so I use a leather belt-slide holster all the time and simply remove the firearm as necessary (leaving the holster in place). Works fine for me and is, in my opinion, far easier than removing both firearm and holster (regardless of the holster type).

The kydex/plastic paddle-type holsters are fine, and I do own a number of them, but almost never use them. I find them less comfortable than leather and also find that they print far more than leather holsters as they tend to hold the firearm farther out from the body.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

sodbuster95 wrote: The kydex/plastic paddle-type holsters are fine, and I do own a number of them, but almost never use them. I find them less comfortable than leather and also find that they print far more than leather holsters as they tend to hold the firearm farther out from the body.
Exactly. Rightly so. I like the accessibility of the firearm when retained by paddle-style holster and so use that when I'm at the range. I suppose that is what I'd choose for an effective quick-draw scenario as some seem to demonstrate however, I'd rather not advertise.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I would think that if said thugs are right outside your vehicle staring into your car you probably shouldn't be removing it from your body and putting it in a safe anyway. :shock:

I personally have never had a problem with a belt holster while in a car, but when I put it in the safe I use a little discretion. I don't hold it up in the air and twirl it first. :lol:

Sometimes I think some gun related instructors have a little in common with philosophers. :)

Warning. Link has a little profanity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgoB2JMEowc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Greenleaf, you may want to disregard a lot of what your instructor has told you in class. It sounds like you'll learn a lot more from the good people on this forum.

I have a few paddle holsters, but like previously stated, it prints a lot more than IWB or OWB which is my preference.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote:I would think that if said thugs are right outside your vehicle staring into your car you probably shouldn't be removing it from your body and putting it in a safe anyway. :shock:

I personally have never had a problem with a belt holster while in a car, but when I put it in the safe I use a little discretion. I don't hold it up in the air and twirl it first. :lol:

Sometimes I think some gun related instructors have a little in common with philosophers. :)

Warning. Link has a little profanity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgoB2JMEowc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well played youtube selection, Quigley! :lol:

I'm out and around as much as anyone (whatever the term for "exact opposite of a homebody" is, that's me) and just use my ol' noggin when a stashing-of-the-blaster is called for. To begin with, most people are reasonably oblivious to their surroundings most times, including you in your car trying to unholster your firearm to put it in the console. Between the fact that we rarely have predatory animals or hostile native American tribes as daily threats, plus (watch me time jump here) many folks now got their noses stuck in cell phones or other electronic video doodads darn near always, you're cool. The world is NOT suddenly surveilling you because of that CHL.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Again, your instructor is a dolt and shouldn't be teaching.
Just one man's opinion.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

pirateguy191 wrote:Again, your instructor is a dolt and shouldn't be teaching.
Just one man's opinion.
Can't dispute that - One man's opinion is what he got when told it 'must be on your person' in a car. We all have the right to our opinions but not the facts - Trust but verify! :wink:
Every class come with homework.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

One thought to being able to remove the holster rather than just the firearm is the amount of risk of negligent discharge. By removing the holster, the trigger area stays covered. Unholstering the firearm is okay, but it is essential to always afford proper attention to the task and to observe the four rules.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Aesinsp wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:Again, your instructor is a dolt and shouldn't be teaching.
Just one man's opinion.
Can't dispute that - One man's opinion is what he got when told it 'must be on your person' in a car. We all have the right to our opinions but not the facts - Trust but verify! :wink:
Every class come with homework.
Yeah. I bit my tongue in another thread regarding this instructor, but it sounds like he's just a BS factory.

I do hope the OP hasn't been given any other misinformation that might get him in trouble or harmed.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Curzyk wrote:One thought to being able to remove the holster rather than just the firearm is the amount of risk of negligent discharge. By removing the holster, the trigger area stays covered. Unholstering the firearm is okay, but it is essential to always afford proper attention to the task and to observe the four rules.
Agreed.

Any administrative handling of a loaded firearm should only be done when you have the time and presence of mind to follow the rules.

If your situation requires you do do things 'quickly', then a clip-on or paddle type holster may be right for you.

My preference is on retention of the holster, so an OWB leather holster with belt slots and a thumb break retention strap is my rig.

As an open carrier, I really don't have any concerns about 'hiding' the gun, but I sure don't put it in the car safe when there are people around...even if that means my fat butt has to park a little further from the building for some privacy.
MyWifeSaidYes
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Javelin Man wrote:Greenleaf, you may want to disregard a lot of what your instructor has told you in class. It sounds like you'll learn a lot more from the good people on this forum.

I have a few paddle holsters, but like previously stated, it prints a lot more than IWB or OWB which is my preference.
I have worn a paddle holster Serpa just about all of time....easy draw, easy removal w/o touching the gun....AND I really don't care if someone sees me printing.....I'm to freakin old to care. ANd I have read all kinds of stories about Serpa..If it's good enough for our military it's good enough for me..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Curzyk wrote:One thought to being able to remove the holster rather than just the firearm is the amount of risk of negligent discharge. By removing the holster, the trigger area stays covered. Unholstering the firearm is okay, but it is essential to always afford proper attention to the task and to observe the four rules.
I totally agree with this, and also with reholstering as well.