Any sig folks in SW Ohio?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

Any sig folks in SW Ohio?

Post by jeep45238 »

Does anyone have a 226/228/229 and maybe a 239 in 9mm they'd be willing to let me try out in SW Ohio? Prefer the standard da/sa models (I'm weird, I know). I'm looking at adding a classic Sig to the safe, but can't justify buying a model without shooting it first to verify that it's the one.

Thanks for any help - and if you're in the Oxford area we can go to my range.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Any sig folks in SW Ohio?

Post by oldmic »

Sure, Jeep, I've got a 239 chambered in 9mm, a 229 DAK in 9mm and a 320 RX full size in 9mm if you want to shoot the new striker-fired model with factory optics.

PM me. We can meet at Point Blank in Blue Ash, if that's convenient for you.
Factory Certified SIG SAUER Armorer
NRA Certified Instructor: pistol, home firearm safety, RSO

"Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong." - Ronald Reagan
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

If you're ever up around Cleveland, let me know and you're welcome to try my P226 (9, 40 or 357SIG) or P220. Hoping to add a P229 to the list next year.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm really interested in 9mm 228/229/226 comparisons.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
pediem
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by pediem »

I have 9mm 225, 2x 226, and 229, as well as 2022. (What can I say...I like Sigs!) At the moment, I'm sort of commuting between NE and SW Ohio, in the middle of a move and sort of dependent on when my new house down here is done.

If you're still looking to shoot any (or all) of the above, I should be a bit more settled sometime after the 1st of the year, and you're more than welcome to do so at that point; I just can't promise I'll have them down here much before then.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Send me a message when you think you'll be in SW Ohio and I'll take you to my range as a guest (outdoors, so bundle up). Even if I've already decided the offer stands.

I have a strong lead on a 226, and looking back on my history of 5" slides and full grips it seems to be the most likely candidate, but I think it's a little foolish to d code upf not without hands on.

-Important distinction
pediem
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by pediem »

Thanks! and I'll be sure to do that.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

I have a 228, 226 (40) and a 220. Range here 100 yards from the house.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Bit of an update: not really looking to compare models to buy now, but maybe general comparisons/handling drills with folks :)

Went on a complete whim and bought blindly after talking with the seller for over a month - a 1987 Sig p226, low mileage, with G10 grips, SRT kit, short reach trigger, nearly full tube of slide-glide, and Kyle Defoor sights. Multiple spare parts kits and 6 mags, a JM Custom AIWB holster, original parts/box, 2 spare take down levers and 3 spare extractors. Should pick it up on Monday or Wednesday.

I don't buy without holding for most pistols, especially models I don't have time behind - but the deal was too good to pass up from a seller who was very particular in maintenance and care. If it doesn't work as well as my Beretta, that's okay - I'll have 2 great pistols that both completed US trials back in the day successfully, and working with the full size models will let me decide if adding a Beretta centurion or Sig P228 or P239 is in the cards at a later date.

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

And sort of eating Beretta crow right now - the old w. German Sig P226 is running much, much better in my hands.

I know the P228 has the same folded slide construction, and seems to be a holy grail of many. I'm also finding that the P239 in 9mm is a easier to find, under-rated pistol with the downside of capacity and ease of reloading, while not being not much smaller than a 228, which isn't much smaller than a 239. My gut says p228, or be patient and find another P226 and build a clone - primarily because I have replacement parts and support gear for either. Then my little brain goes "but remember the 239.....might be a nice backup to the 226"

THe good thing is this stuff costs money, and I have to wait to save up cash.

-Important distinction
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

The 229 is essentially the same pistol as the 228, just slightly different construction to also handle 40SW and 357Sig.
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

I still have that 228 if you want to try it in Dayton area.