M&P Shield in .45 acp seen today

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

M&P Shield in .45 acp seen today

Post by Brian D. »

I have a few days off and am taking short road trips. Today found me around Dayton, perusing some gun stores. Stopped into the Field and Stream south of town, they have a prettygood clearance going on, especially clothes. Anyhow, saw in their flyer that they have the S&W Shield models "on sale" for $400. This includes the brand new .45 acp version, first I've laid eyes on. It really is only a tiny bit bigger (wider) than the 9mm/.40 models. Pretty much what we've come to expect with regards to features, feel in hand, etc.
For now, F&S only has the variant with manual safety, clerk said the next ones should arrive soon and some will be without the lever. Think I'll wait for that one, and maybe more general availability, that will cause a bit of price drop, perhaps.

Anybody else come across, or better yet, purchased a Shield .45? If you have trigger time with one, please share your impressions.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TJW815

Re: M&P Shield in .45 acp seen today

Post by TJW815 »

I've apparently not been paying attention. Didn't even know they were coming out with a 45 shield. $400 seems a little steep though

Edit: I'm basing my opinion off of how much I purchased my 9mm shield for a year or so ago.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

A year or so back, S&W must have dumped a glut of Shields into the marketplace; a price war broke out. They were going for as low as $320 plus tax.

That's why I put the F&S "sale price" in quotes earlier and now. But I was surprised to see the new .45 version included, they aren't much available yet. After my earlier post I checked the usual online suspects to verify. Bud's Guns, nope. Vance's? Nah baby nah. Didn't see them on Gunbroker, either, although that site is so ginormous I could be mistaken.

********************************************************************************
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

My wife has a 9mm shield that she has put over 500 rounds through. She's very fast and accurate with it. I was actually surprised since she has been shooting a full size 9mm M&P and I thought the transition to the shorter barrel would be more difficult for her but she never missed a beat. Her shield is accurate, feels great in the hands and has not had one issue in over 500 rounds fired through it. She had a choice and chose to get the model with a safety. Her reasoning was that she has the option of using a safety if she wants but just leaves it off. So that's really a mute point. They average price in my area (Central Ohio) is $369.00 The shield is very popular and I would not expect the price to be dropping below that in the near future. In the hands of a fast and accurate shooter, the M&P Shield loaded with good defensive ammo is a serious defensive weapon.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Cochise, I'm currently carrying a 9mm Shield. Couple weeks ago I ran some timed drills with it versus the M&P Compact 9mm. My splits between shots and transitions between targets were about the same with both guns. My double tap hits stayed a little closer to each other with the Compact. (It's a little heavier than the Shield, that might explain it.)

I think the skinnier grip frame of the Shield allows me a tighter hold and easier reach to the trigger though, those are good things.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

So, to nudge this back to the original topic, has anyone bought a .45 Shield yet? In the month since starting this thread, I have seen the gun at shows and stores with some frequency. Price is still $60 or so more than the 9mm and .40 flavors. That will probably change for the better in time.

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

What I thought was interesting is that, in the ads, the 40 and the 45 have the same capacity listed for round count.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Brian:

I've got a Shield 40. Same size, etc., as the 9....

I can't see any reason to go with the .45 in this case, although it actually may be a better shooter than the .40.

I think I'd have bought one if there appeared to be a possibility when I bought the .40. I don't think the budget would let me get another one :D....

(My wife wouldn't, either, but that's another story :mrgreen: .)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mr. Glock wrote:What I thought was interesting is that, in the ads, the 40 and the 45 have the same capacity listed for round count.
I couldn't examine that first .45 Shield encountered in minute detail but it looked like the extended 7 round magazine had a pretty dished out follower on top of the spring. The six rounder maybe not quite so much.

Stu, sometimes given the same size/weight across the 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp variants of the same basic gun, the .40 will be snappiest, occasionally to the point of being harsh. For example I've written off ever owning a (polymer frame) Kahr in .40. My shooting group made a point of bringing along their various models, and we shot them in some timed drills. Nobody did best with the .40, pretty much it was the jumpiest recoil-wise. This was evident in split times, and group sizes. In limited similar experience I've come to NOT like the Shield in .40.

So getting back to the .45 Shield, I'd like to run some rounds through one, on the timer of course.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mr. Glock wrote:What I thought was interesting is that, in the ads, the 40 and the 45 have the same capacity listed for round count.
Isn't the .45 Shield slightly larger than the 9mm/.40 version? That would potentially allow for what you noticed.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Somebody named Aaron had one in .45 acp at the PITP.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:
Isn't the .45 Shield slightly larger than the 9mm/.40 version? That would potentially allow for what you noticed.
Ever so slightly larger, yes.