Ultrasonic Cleaning

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CincyKid

Ultrasonic Cleaning

Post by CincyKid »

I have an ultrasonic cleaner on the way from Amazon, and thought I would search here to see what the best cleaning fluid to use.

I read a number of older threads:

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... ic+cleaner

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... r#p4020726

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... ic+cleaner

The threads were from around 2009-2011 era... I was wondering if the opinions of those who started using USC back then still like it...also had some questions that I came up while reading the older threads.

1) Is Ed's Red still the best choice for those who don't want to re-lube after cleaning?

2) I read where metal to metal contact should be avoided. I can understand keeping the field stripped parts apart... but, the older posts seemed to say that assembled parts would wear while being cleaned due to the vibration. Is this something to be concerned about? If I have to completely disassemble, I won't need an USC.

3) How often is it safe to use USC?

4) Any update if USC is safe for night sights?

Thanks
CCIman

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaning

Post by CCIman »

My personal opinion is that USC is overkill for most gun cleaning.

But that's just me.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
soontobedeity
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by soontobedeity »

CincyKid wrote:1) Is Ed's Red still the best choice for those who don't want to re-lube after cleaning?
If you decide on Ed's Red, don't use it indoors. :oops:
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

soontobedeity wrote:
CincyKid wrote:1) Is Ed's Red still the best choice for those who don't want to re-lube after cleaning?
If you omit the acetone its fine to use indoors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
soontobedeity wrote:
If you omit the acetone its fine to use indoors.
If you omit the acetone it doesn't clean as well, but it does OK. On a side note, if you include the anhydrous lanolin you won't need to use anything else as a corrosion preventative for longer term storage of your firearms.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

JustaShooter wrote: If you omit the acetone it doesn't clean as well, but it does OK. On a side note, if you include the anhydrous lanolin you won't need to use anything else as a corrosion preventative for longer term storage of your firearms.
It still cleans pretty darn good. The only thing that needed further attention for me was a AR's bolt tail. I since have stopped using the US cleaner for a better option, Frog Lube. I prevent the carbon and powder from sticking in the first place. My US cleaner sits unused now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life Member NRA
Ring

Post by Ring »

dont think i would use acetone on any plastic framed gun...

that said, i use hornadys cleaner in mine, and yes, WAY overkill.. i only use it on muzzle breaks or guns that are a PIA to take apart to clean, like a ruger mk2 and suppressors
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Ring wrote:dont think i would use acetone on any plastic framed gun...

that said, i use hornadys cleaner in mine, and yes, WAY overkill.. i only use it on muzzle breaks or guns that are a PIA to take apart to clean, like a ruger mk2 and suppressors
The reason I omitted acetone..I just didn't want to use it on the frame over an over. Besides the non acetone Eds I mixed up worked wonderfully on the frame and trigger group. On a side note I did have two batches made up, one without acetone and one with and ran my stainless revolvers in it. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in cleaning power. The US action and heat does the majority of the work.
Life Member NRA
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

CCIman wrote:My personal opinion is that USC is overkill for most gun cleaning.

But that's just me.
I have to agree with this. I stopped using my USC quite a while ago. Went back to Hoppe's.
Anyone want to buy it, or trade for ammo ? :)
CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

Anyone know where to buy the odorless Kerosene? I tried Lowes, Home Depot and a paint store with no luck :?:
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

CincyKid wrote:Anyone know where to buy the odorless Kerosene? I tried Lowes, Home Depot and a paint store with no luck :?:
Lowe's has it, but they seldom know where it is. Look for gallon jugs in the paint department, but not immediately next to the other solvents. I don't have the brand name handy, but I know I have some at home for emergency lighting needs.

ETA: Here's what you want - Lowe's has it mis-labeled online:

--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
mreising

Post by mreising »

I believe charcoal starter is also deodorized kerosene.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

It can be found at Lowes in the painting section. it used to be in 1 gal cans...
CincyKid wrote:Anyone know where to buy the odorless Kerosene? I tried Lowes, Home Depot and a paint store with no luck :?:
Life Member NRA
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

jabeatty wrote:
Lowe's has it, but they seldom know where it is. Look for gallon jugs in the paint department, but not immediately next to the other solvents. I don't have the brand name handy, but I know I have some at home for emergency lighting needs.

ETA: Here's what you want - Lowe's has it mis-labeled online:

Yep, they have switched to plastic jugs..same brand I have but mine is in older steel can.
Life Member NRA
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote: My US cleaner sits unused now.
Wanna give it a new home? :roll:
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.