Ultrasonic Cleaning

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CincyKid

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaning

Post by CincyKid »

This thread appears to be getting a limited response... can I assume that US cleaning isn't used that often anymore? If so can the guys that used to use it, comment on why they stopped?

My wife was buying a small unit to clean her rings, etc. So I talked her into a bigger unit so I could put my HG slides and barrels in for an easy cleaning. :shock:

Now I'm wondering if I did the wrong thing.
mreising

Post by mreising »

CincyKid wrote: Now I'm wondering if I did the wrong thing.
Better to have it and not need it, etc.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

That level of detail cleaning is probably not warranted for most guns. Good for eyeglasses and jewelry. It may serve you well if you want to clean something without taking it apart, but remember, the remanents of solution you use and loosened debris will be inside.

A tooth brush works for most things you can take apart.
CincyKid wrote:This thread appears to be getting a limited response... can I assume that US cleaning isn't used that often anymore? If so can the guys that used to use it, comment on why they stopped?

My wife was buying a small unit to clean her rings, etc. So I talked her into a bigger unit so I could put my HG slides and barrels in for an easy cleaning. :shock:

'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

CincyKid wrote:This thread appears to be getting a limited response... can I assume that US cleaning isn't used that often anymore? If so can the guys that used to use it, comment on why they stopped?

Where I find it shines is the trigger group of pistols. Nothing beats getting all that gunk out of there so easily.. There is some benefit to the slide taking a dunk but not to the same extent. As for Glocks and M&P's you need to dry out the cups on the striker assemblies and the channel anyhow so you have to disassemble that even if you US clean it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

NavyChief wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote: My US cleaner sits unused now.
Wanna give it a new home? :roll:
I may switch back to Simple Green as a solution for the frame and trigger group as its compatible with the water based frog lube..

If I do get rid of it, you're first dibs..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life Member NRA
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I have always used full strength simple green in my USC. Was never comfortable heating flammable liquids.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

techmike wrote:I have always used full strength simple green in my USC. Was never comfortable heating flammable liquids.
Definitely an outdoor project if one uses any solvent mixture. And, I'd be surprised if any of the consumer or low end commercial units are rated as explosion proof.
HancockCountyHaL
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

The mix that I used without the acetone still had Dextron and the kerosene, and while it got hot, you could still stick your finger in the bath at the end of the cycle. Not nearly hot enough for combustion. I did however always run it outside when using the acetone batch.
Life Member NRA
Shaolin_dragon

Post by Shaolin_dragon »

Evening ladies and gents,

Yes..this is a necrothread resurrection...but as there was already a thread, I didn't want to start a new one!

So...US cleaning...I'm looking at picking one up from Harbor Freight for my Shield...it has the Hi-Viz fiber optic sights on it.. Has anyone heard anything against using it for this reason?

Cheers for any experience folks may share!
I carry, because I care!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

NavyChief wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote: My US cleaner sits unused now.
Wanna give it a new home? :roll:
Bummer that PGWP hasn't been on the forums for two years. :(
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Shaolin_dragon wrote:Evening ladies and gents,

Yes..this is a necrothread resurrection...but as there was already a thread, I didn't want to start a new one!

So...US cleaning...I'm looking at picking one up from Harbor Freight for my Shield...it has the Hi-Viz fiber optic sights on it.. Has anyone heard anything against using it for this reason?

Cheers for any experience folks may share!
I was always cautious of dunking my night sights in the USC, as I was concerned that the glass enclosures could be compromised. As for the night sights, they are much more rugged than glass encapsulated tritium. However, from the S&W Shield manual:
"CAUTION:Some cleaners can cause damage to your firearms.You should avoid prolonged solvent immersion and prolonged ultrasonic cleaning of your firearm.Choice of solvent should be restricted to those products specifically developed for firearms maintenance.Damage to a firearm’s finish may occur if these cautions are ignored.Ammoniated solvents or other strong alkaline solvents,should not be used on any Smith&Wesson firearm"
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788