Unscientific anecdotal ammo test

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CurtInOhio

Unscientific anecdotal ammo test

Post by CurtInOhio »

I went out this morning loaded up with carry ammo: Fed. Hydra-shok 125 or close to it Speer Gold Dot, 124 gr +p Doubletap, and 147 gr + Doubletap.

Mike McNett told me that the 147 would recoil more than the 124, but that the 124 would be a snappier recoil. Wha I found was that I shot better with the 124 DT than the Speer, but shot best with the 147 DT. My groupings were ok with the 124 DT, but I seemed to shoot low with it.

All in all, I shot closer groups, where I was expecting to shoot, with the 147 gr DT, and it felt the best... no more noticable recoil, and less snap... just easier to get back on target. And at over 1100 fps with +p loads, it's what I'll start carrying every day. At $22.50 for 50, the price is pretty good, too.
Curt M
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Probably the best bullet weight for 9mm ammo is 147 grains. It far and away offers the best penetration and is thus more likely to give the desired results.

Forget about all the nonsense talk regarding overpenetration. In a gunfight you are likely to have significantly more misses breaking windows down the street than hits. Even if one of your hits were to completely penetrate your target (very unlikely), it is not going to have near the force of any one of your misses anyhow.

Overpenetration is not a genuine issue; hitting your target is.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

tommcnaughton wrote:Overpenetration is not a genuine issue; hitting your target is.
Hhmmm - could that be thought of as "lack of penetration" then?
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

With a 9mm, I'm not too worried about over penetration... with a .50 caliber, I might be. :)
Curt M
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

CurtInOhio wrote:With a 9mm, I'm not too worried about over penetration... with a .50 caliber, I might be. :)
Hey, with a .50 caliber you don't have to worry 'bout nothin'...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Which 50?
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

BMG of course! :shock:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Willy P wrote:Which 50?
BEAR! wrote:BMG of course! :shock:
Oops! Sorry guys, I was going from memory and was thinking about Ma Deuce!
TunnelRat